Immature Coping Skills that Work

[Rx...]

What immature coping skills do you have that really work?  I'm not advocating hurtful coping skills here.  Please share.  I'm hoping to learn from you.

I'll start...  In the privacy of my own home when I'm alone, I draw incredibly unflattering caricatures of people I'm really upset with, then shred the *evidence*.

This sort of resembles the carcicatures of my former doctor and his nurse.  I don't pick on physical attributes, but rather their spirit or aura.

VeCrNDp.jpg

What immature coping skills do you have that really work?  I'm not advocating hurtful coping skills here.  Please share.  I'm hoping to learn from you.

I'll start...  In the privacy of my own home, I draw incredibly unflattering caricatures of people I'm really upset with, then shred the *evidence*.

I often imagine myself as a cartoon character, i.e. Garfield. This way I feel less serious about myself in social situations. I like to think what animals other ppl resemble. If they do. Just for fun. I like to watch ppl. Strangely dressed ppl. I admire everyone who dares to be different in a noticeable way. Even if those ppl sometimes make me laugh inwardly. I’m grateful to them for being original, funny and unique.

I like to play with my Kitty and make her believe I’m another cat. I immitate her behavior. I like to pull faces at her and chase her around the appt. Love singing in my headphones along with the rockers I’m listening to. Very relaxing. Like to joke a lot. Dark humor, silly giggle and irony are my favorite ways of coping with stress. I like to make ppl laugh. I talk to my Kitty on a regular basis. She talks back to me. I engage in dialogues with authors of the audiobooks I’m listening to on my headphones.

I like to act in the most silly way when I’m alone. I curse a lot. Not in a bad-mannered style. For fun, i.e. as a part of conversation with my husband. He doesn’t mind. I’ve been always forbidden to curse by parents. I like to do what is generally considered forbidden. But not to engage in self-destructive behaviors. I try to obey the rules wherever I have to. But I’m an anarchist at heart. If it’s immature. I’ve always been a rebel. And always will be. It’s fun. I will never ever become a conformist. Unless my well-being is at stake. That’s like 50% of my "immature" coping skills. Can’t recall anymore ATM.

[b8...]
Immature?  I like breaking big glass bottles in the dumpster when we have big bottles to throw away (from where I work).  Sometimes I throw them down with force.  Sometimes I shoot like a basketball player.  Sometimes I pretend they are people that I'm angry with (kind of like your caricatures). 

Rx, maybe don’t shred those caricature drawings? What if they’ve got some artistic value? :) I didn’t think much about my artistic pix and it proved to be the opposite... I never destroy any of my "creations".

Rx, maybe don’t shred those caricature drawings? What if they’ve got some artistic value? :) I didn’t think much about my artistic pix and it proved to be the opposite... I never destroy any of my "creations".

I have a heart and a conscience is all, Estee.  I'm pretty merciless with my artistic expression with them...lol.

I have a heart and a conscience is all, Estee.  I'm pretty merciless with my artistic expression with them...lol.

That would be sth like post-expressionism ;D

Immature?  I like breaking big glass bottles in the dumpster when we have big bottles to throw away (from where I work).  Sometimes I throw them down with force.  Sometimes I shoot like a basketball player.  Sometimes I pretend they are people that I'm angry with (kind of like your caricatures).

One time I tore a kitchen towel in half, I was so upset.  Luckily it was an old one coming up for replacement.

One time I tore a kitchen towel in half, I was so upset.  Luckily it was an old one coming up for replacement.

I dunno, Ginger.  May have to take points off that one for being pretty darn mature.  After all, it was coming up for replacement and practically you just made dusting rags out of it.  I admire your self-restraint laying off the new kitchen towel. 

Thanks for sharing!

I dunno, Ginger.  May have to take points off that one for being pretty darn mature.  After all, it was coming up for replacement and practically you just made dusting rags out of it.  I admire your self-restraint laying off the new kitchen towel. 

Thanks for sharing!

You're right, there was no rhyme reason to tear it, I was just upset.  And it could have served a lot longer, the new things aren't necessarily all that.

Thanks for sharing!

You're right, there was no rhyme reason to tear it, I was just upset.  And it could have served a lot longer, the new things aren't necessarily all that.

I was praising your maturity actually.  "Points off" for not being immature enough for this thread (my attempt at humor).  There's much worse things one can do when upset.

I agree. I never destroy things when I’m upset. I have too much respect for things that serve me.

I usually try some cognitive reframing, while giving full attention to my Kitty. She calms me down. But that’s mature, I guess.

If someone really gets on my nerves, I may listen to hard rock or heavy metal songs on my headphones. Which I dedicate to that "special person." The emotional flooding just fades away.

I concentrate on the music. It’s very cathartic. Like you can dedicate Iron Maiden’s "The Number of the Beast", Bloodhound Gang’s "Fire Water Burn", Motörhead”s "Killed by Death", Jimi Hendrix’ "Hey Joe" to your current "enemy."

• 2 weeks later...

I hose the pigeons away 🐦 and tell them to rack off.  I would never hurt them.

Aww, they probably like the water anyhow, deadwoodgone.  Birdbath.  :)

Today I rescued a young earth worm from a spider web in our kitchen, where the floor connects to the bottom of kitchen cabinets.  The poor thing was alive, but badly tangled, these webs are so sticky!  I cleaned the web off of her and released her outside, she bounced back right away and went off happy.  Then I went full throttle after the spider webs, not exactly a mature thing to do.  We clean the floor under kitchen cabinets regularly, but obviously once a week is not enough.     

• 8 months later...

Been awhile since I revisited here.  Anyhow, here you go, another one.  I've found quite helpful into my adult years as well.  One can silently think, "Lalalalalala...I can't hear you."  That way nobody's feelings get hurt.  ;)

Nz15dp2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was really bad from my accidental rapid WD, I started sucking my thumb...

At 34...

It helped

I can believe that, Byrjun.  A number of times post cold turkey I felt I needed to be clutching a teddy bear myself.  Maybe I should have tried the thumb.