Diet Advice

[go...]

I keep reading conflicting accounts of what helps and hinders healing. I eat pretty healthy anyway but every so often I find someone mentioning something that can apparently make things worse (Spinach and vitamin D) apparently. I'm in a bit of a wave at the minute and for the first time since jumping 2 months ago I'm getting really bad dizziness. I was thinking of just simplifying my diet right down to the basics. Can anyone find any issues with any of the foods I'm eating just so I can correct it.

Breakfast: Smoothie with, Bananas, Kale, blueberries, turmeric, half an avocado, flax seed, hemp seed, broccoli sprouts

Lunch: Poached eggs or vegetable soup

Dinner: Brown rice or quinoa with steamed veggies (broccoli, sprouts, sweet potato, peas, zucchini, kale) Olive oil

[31...]

I see a lot of people having personal preferences regarding their diet, but that's usually about all that it is - personal preference.  Some people do develop food sensitivities, and if you suspect that is occurring, it's prudent to keep a food log and to try to correlate your food choices with the symptoms you are experiencing.  I had a big hives breakout once after I ate a bunch of cashews, so I didn't eat bunches of cashews for a while.  Now I can eat them without worry. 

fwiw - your diet is way more organic than mine ever was.  I ate pretty much whatever (including packaged/processed foods, sugar and even some caffeine).  Healing still occurred. 

Thanks, that's good to hear. I think with the added health anxiety I worry that every little new symptom was brought on by some random food.

One thing I see is not a lot of protein there and quite a bit of quick carbs/sugar.

It's possible the lightheadedness is from blood sugar fluctuation as a side effect of how benzos screw up the hypothalamus' reaction to hormones.

I found that eating decent amounts of protein with fat and less quick carbs helped to control it, but you could also just be having random neural firings 'cause benzo recover is just sorta like that.

I also had to go onto a low-histamine diet in order to keep my body from flaring up with inflammation and anxiety, but other buddies haven't.

For you I'd just add more protein and see if that leves you out during the day, also see if you can switch to 4-5 smaller meals. 

Also, what do you think are good protein/fat sources that are low histamine? I'd prefer not to eat animal products if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

I'm not strictly against it, would just prefer not too. It is tricky, I've read so many conflicting reports of what is and isn't a histamine risk. Maybe I'm over thinking it a little

The simplest thing is to get the tightest diet you can stand and see if it lowers the amount of symptoms you have.

Elimination diets are hard, but they work.

I'm not sure if there's a Whole 30 for vegans out there, but it'd be an excellent place to start. Whole 30 has some vegan instructions, but they're big on trying to get you to eat animal protein, or at least secondary animal protein and they're really preachy about it.

But it's a simple enough idea.

As for the research - there isn't a whole lot of it, unfortunately.

But the protein I can tell you does help with the lightheadedness - So you can up your legumes or fresh soy.

And I can tell you that fermented anything still gets me something fierce, as do most preservatives.