Study, Jan/18: "Diazepam loading": ¿Can a strategy for preventing alcohol w/d...

[La...]

I know, liberty! This one really bothers me. I really hope they don't try a study using this method. Quite scary. As we know around here, some people are okay to come off benzos fairly quickly, but others....well, it's a different story for others.

Of course, this is a case study showing one woman's experience. Let's hope they don't do this with all of their patients.

The patient was on 5mg Lorazepam and 100mg Diazepam, followed by a 200mg Diazepam overdose. Interestingly, the study takes a patient on a high bzd dose for an undisclosed amount of time and an overdose with 200mg extra Diazepam. Nothing is mentioned about the patient's living situation, her support system and whether all this was prescribed to her or not. It also does not mention her level of functioning. There are too many unknowns here, so I am deeply concerned about a study that basically turns an incomplete, case study with lack of detail, and generalizes about the efficacy about Diazepam loading for alcohol withdrawal in general.

This patient obviously didn't seem to suffer from alcohol withdrawal, as per study, no ethanol was found in her screen (was the screen done properly?)

But, all that aside, I fail to see how bombing someone's brain with that much diazepam can aid any kind of withdrawal. The patient's diazepam dose was at 100mg already, and the study doesn't make it clear how long she was on that dose.

Apparently, the patient never read this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/11/us/valium-often-a-suicide-step-seldom-works.html