Minor relapse

[Do...]

After an aggressive taper from 1.0 mg Clonazepam in November, I had a hopefully minor relapse yesterday. I've suffered insomnia going on 15 years and cycled across various meds for the last 10 as treatment. None were working as I developed tolerance. In November, I decided to rapid taper while on an extended vacation where I knew I'd have a fixed supply of pills. Other than insomnia and anxiety I experienced no withdrawl symptoms. My insomnia has improved but I still wake several times per night and sleep max 5 hours, which is not much worse than when I was on meds. The insomnia was particularly bad the past week and in a moment of weakness I took 0.25 mg Clonazepam. It worked great and I find myself craving more. Does anyone have experience in how casual dosage can lead back to addiction? For example, if I limited myself to 0.25 mg once a week, how much would I risk falling back into addiction?

Oh my goodness! That is  exactly what led me  here.

I was benzo free for three years and took 1 dose after a Traumatic event and eventually I was relapsed totally.

look at my signature and see what can happen!

If occasional sleep issues are your concern, there are many options other than benzos.  I would NOT recommend relying on PRN doses of a benzo as a sleep aid.

What would you recommend for ocassional sleep issues? I have chronic insomnia but would be satisfied if I could treat the worst of it. Ive had limited success with melatonin and valerian.

I gave the last of my clonazepam pills to a friend who I trust will keep them safe. I instructed him to allow me no more than one 0.5 mg pill per week.

What would you recommend for ocassional sleep issues? I have chronic insomnia but would be satisfied if I could treat the worst of it. Ive had limited success with melatonin and valerian.

I gave the last of my clonazepam pills to a friend who I trust will keep them safe. I instructed him to allow me no more than one 0.5 mg pill per week.

Many use a low dose of Remeron....

SS

The best OTC is doxylamine.  It matches or exceeds the results of many Rx sleep aids.  Its found in many "Nighttime" cold/cough/allergy meds, and is the active ingredient in Unisom Sleep Tabs.  Perfect for occasional sleep issues.

The best Rx sleep aid is low dose Remeron.  A half tablet (7.5mg) is a powerful sleep aid.  No real risk of dependency when used PRN.

Either should work at least as well as K, and are much safer.

I agree with the others.  Even occasional use of a benzodiazepine leads to changes in the central nervous system.  I also have chronic insomnia but I wouldn't even consider taking a benzodiazepine again.

I'm in agreement with the others, as well. Unless it was medically necessary (meaning I am going into surgery/I am given benzos w/o my knowledge), I would never use benzos for anything, ever. I've spent 6 years getting better and wouldn't risk throwing it all away.

• 3 weeks later...
The relapse has turned major. After a couple of stressful events, I'm back on 0.5 mg Clonazepam. I found an old prescription that still had a refill. I needed the sleep so bad to try and forget what was bothering me. It's been a week of constant dosage now. I hope the damage has not already been done. Besides getting otc antihistamines, what else can I do? What are others' experiences with remeron?

I'm spiraling and up to 2 mg and it still isn't controlling the anxiety or doing much to help me sleep. What are the downsides to Remeron?

I hate to say this but you better seek some type of more professional help.  It doesn't sound like you're going to stop any time soon.

Even when I was at my worst (and it was bad) I never considered taking another benzo to help with the benzo withdrawal. 

It doesn't sound like you're going to be able to stop yourself.  You're just going further and further down the hole and creating more problems.

I couldn't sleep either and I was like a walking zombie.  It eventually lifted and I was so grateful.  Those days were truly like a living hell, AND I MEAN BAD, and I never took another dose.

nothing but good waves your way.  You need to find another approach.

I went back to psychiatrist and got a prescription for remeron. Half a pill, 7.5mg, works ok for sleep.

I find it works really well, and that I can even take less.  The thing with Remeron is that it is more of a sedative the smaller the dose.

It can increase the appetite some but if you are aware of that then you can adjust accordingly.  I look at what I eat rather than listening to my body which might want more than I need. 

Remeron has been a godsend for me and sleep.

:thumbsup:

SS