Trying to Findout What’s Wrong With Me! **trigger warning**

[Fi...]

I have been trying to findout why I have been suffering so much head, neck tingling and burning.  I pulled my medical records from when I was in the hospital for dehydration and severe weight loss, following my doctor imposed cold turkey and I read that they gave me large doses of saline with dextrose-which I assume is sugar.  Which would mean that the high amounts of sugar given in my IV could have damaged me enough that my nerves can’t heal. 

I’m floored because I didn’t know this.  I was feeling so bad I didn’t know what was going on.

Am I reading too much into this?    Oh my Gosh.  Need some Hope Bad!!!!

Sugar may cause waves but not perminant damage. When's the last time you took a benzo and have you had any windows?

14 months.  Nooo windows.  If I had a window it was too minimal to notice.

I was really out of it at the hospital.  But, they were pumping me with so much saline and dextrose, bags of it because I wasn’t able to walk I was so dehydrated.  I was thinking that probably blew my CNS.  I was swelling from them trying to get me hydrated.  I was in bad shape.  I thought that might explain all my tingling and nerve pain.  I was in a full CT when this happened.

I know this sounds unbelievable, but this really happened. 

I would be relieved to know this didn’t ruin my CNS. 

I’m just finding it hard to believe that what I’m experiencing is Benzo WD.

Sugar wouldn't cause this, as a matter of fact, glucose is often needed in cases of neurotoxicity to help the extra calcium get out of the brain.  Being given sugar in an IV is not going to cause brain damage.

Dextrose would ABSOLUTELY not cause this. The amount of dextrose you received was in relation to what your blood glucose was at the time, and was of the equivalent of eating an apple. So, working off of your theory, anyone who has eaten an apple is doomed.

I’m not being a smart ass, I just want to point out to you how ludicrous that theory is so you can disgaurd it and move on.

[2a...]

Both CT from benzos, and being floxed by Cipro, can cause long-lasting symptoms. It's not unusual to still have severe symptoms 14 months out from a CT. I know the Cipro was earlier, but you could also still be healing from that too. I'm truly sorry about your suffering. You are right to point the finger of blame at doctors but wrong about the specific cause. IV's with saline + dextrose are not the cause. If sugar and salt did cause nerve damage then a huge percentage of the population would be suffering.

It will get better. I am 100% healed, also after Cipro damage and benzo damage. But it took years to fully heal.

I think I'll go eat an apple :)

i would completely agree that saline and sugar absolutely have nothing to do with this - at all - i would sit that aside and move on. 

i am not sure how old you are - but - i see you are a female.  i have helped quite a few other women here on BB sort things out - i would strongly recommend you have thorough hormone testing done along with thyroid tested properly - which means TSH, free T3 , free T4 and reverse T3.  Hormone testing should include estrogen (estradiol), progesterone and testosterone (total and free).  I'd also look at a 4 point cortisol test.  That would be a starting point.  there are also other really good tests like micronutrient testing through Spectracell that can determine any nutritional deficiencies - a standard metabolic panel is worthless for identifying any imbalances.

what did you learn from your saliva test SSR1? Curious as my dr wants me to get one, but it’s expensive and not sure what it would change in terms of treatment. Thanks in advance.

Sugar wouldn't cause this, as a matter of fact, glucose is often needed in cases of neurotoxicity to help the extra calcium get out of the brain.  Being given sugar in an IV is not going to cause brain damage.

Thank you for the information.  I really thought that was the problem.

Dextrose would ABSOLUTELY not cause this. The amount of dextrose you received was in relation to what your blood glucose was at the time, and was of the equivalent of eating an apple. So, working off of your theory, anyone who has eaten an apple is doomed.

I’m not being a smart ass, I just want to point out to you how ludicrous that theory is so you can disgaurd it and move on.

T1D,

I didn’t take it as you being a smart ass.  I appreciate the insight.  Just scared trying to get some perspective.

Both CT from benzos, and being floxed by Cipro, can cause long-lasting symptoms. It's not unusual to still have severe symptoms 14 months out from a CT. I know the Cipro was earlier, but you could also still be healing from that too. I'm truly sorry about your suffering. You are right to point the finger of blame at doctors but wrong about the specific cause. IV's with saline + dextrose are not the cause. If sugar and salt did cause nerve damage then a huge percentage of the population would be suffering.

It will get better. I am 100% healed, also after Cipro damage and benzo damage. But it took years to fully heal.

I think I'll go eat an apple :)

Ha ha.  Like that Apple comment!!!!    I know everyone is different, but did you have gradual improvement in your healing?  Or, was it all over the place?  Thank you Chessplayer. 

i would completely agree that saline and sugar absolutely have nothing to do with this - at all - i would sit that aside and move on. 

i am not sure how old you are - but - i see you are a female.  i have helped quite a few other women here on BB sort things out - i would strongly recommend you have thorough hormone testing done along with thyroid tested properly - which means TSH, free T3 , free T4 and reverse T3.  Hormone testing should include estrogen (estradiol), progesterone and testosterone (total and free).  I'd also look at a 4 point cortisol test.  That would be a starting point.  there are also other really good tests like micronutrient testing through Spectracell that can determine any nutritional deficiencies - a standard metabolic panel is worthless for identifying any imbalances.

SSR1975

I had complete hysterectomy years ago, can’t take HTR causes clots.  So, that could possibly be what’s causing me not to heal?

Thank you to all those that replied.  I was sooo out of it in the hospital and I remembered my physical reaction when they were giving it to me.  They were pumping bags into me at such a High rate that I assumed that was the cause of my damage.  Again, Thank You All.

No problem. I’ve been there, your mind matches on to these theories and ideas that make absolutely no senses, but in our warped mental state of mind they fit perfectly and make complete sense. You sound better now. 👍

[2a...]

Hi again Fighting4me,

To answer your question, I suffered through a long taper, actually 2 back-to-back tapers, lasting about 18 months. I started to feel gradual improvement below 2mg/day of Valium, and I was maybe 75% healed by the time I got to 0, and I got to 100% healed about 6 months after jumping. It's hard to really quantify it, but yes once healing began it was a gradual healing.

Peace and love,

CP

Hi again Fighting4me,

To answer your question, I suffered through a long taper, actually 2 back-to-back tapers, lasting about 18 months. I started to feel gradual improvement below 2mg/day of Valium, and I was maybe 75% healed by the time I got to 0, and I got to 100% healed about 6 months after jumping. It's hard to really quantify it, but yes once healing began it was a gradual healing.

Peace and love,

CP

[/quot

Thats great CP!

All The Best

F4M

to answer the question about the 4 point cortisol test - it shows you how your adrenals are doing - cortisol levels will be an indication of how much "stress" the body is under - after a period of time of chronic stress with no relief (which withdrawal can certainly induce) the adrenals can burn out causing a whole different set of problems - initially my cortisol levels were sky high at 3 of the 4 points and there are things you can take to lower cortisol that don't mess with GABA.  thankfully the last test showed all 4 points within range - that was 7 months after my cold turkey.  there are also things you can take to boost low cortisol if it's too low - as the fatigue that can come with low cortisol is pretty brutal.

to answer the question about the hysterectomy and not taking HRT because of clots - yes - i would think this is a big component of what is going on - if your estrogen and progesterone levels have tanked out - this would cause lots of awful symptoms.  i would look to see if you can find a women's health expert  - although you cannot take HRT there are herbs and other things you can take to help.

to answer the question about the 4 point cortisol test - it shows you how your adrenals are doing - cortisol levels will be an indication of how much "stress" the body is under - after a period of time of chronic stress with no relief (which withdrawal can certainly induce) the adrenals can burn out causing a whole different set of problems - initially my cortisol levels were sky high at 3 of the 4 points and there are things you can take to lower cortisol that don't mess with GABA.  thankfully the last test showed all 4 points within range - that was 7 months after my cold turkey.  there are also things you can take to boost low cortisol if it's too low - as the fatigue that can come with low cortisol is pretty brutal.

to answer the question about the hysterectomy and not taking HRT because of clots - yes - i would think this is a big component of what is going on - if your estrogen and progesterone levels have tanked out - this would cause lots of awful symptoms.  i would look to see if you can find a women's health expert  - although you cannot take HRT there are herbs and other things you can take to help.

SSR1975

Wow, you know a lot!!!  Very helpful!!! 

What does the 4 point cortisol test consist of?

I was told that estrogen and progesterone can only be replaced by Bio-identicals, which is HRT.  I know for a fact my hormones are tanked.

F4M

Seriously doubt the sugar theory - it's likely the intrusive thought processes going off in your head. Not uncommon either - but I do know how susceptible to utter nonsense one can be. It can be scary but not real.

Seriously doubt the sugar theory - it's likely the intrusive thought processes going off in your head. Not uncommon either - but I do know how susceptible to utter nonsense one can be. It can be scary but not real.

I’m very embarrassed by my reaction.  My brain is so drained by this process, the wheels have come off.

F4M

I have been trying to findout why I have been suffering so much head, neck tingling and burning.  I pulled my medical records from when I was in the hospital for dehydration and severe weight loss, following my doctor imposed cold turkey and I read that they gave me large doses of saline with dextrose-which I assume is sugar.  Which would mean that the high amounts of sugar given in my IV could have damaged me enough that my nerves can’t heal. 

I’m floored because I didn’t know this.  I was feeling so bad I didn’t know what was going on.

I too find sugar to be helpful  :thumbsup: And some found some cororborating evidence of it helping with brain injuries, so I don't think the saline and glucose hurt you maybe it even helped!  I'll bet you're nerves are healing... but as we all do the wish is for speed...

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

I too find sugar to be helpful  :thumbsup: And some found some cororborating evidence of it helping with brain injuries, so I don't think the saline and glucose hurt you maybe it even helped!  I'll bet you're nerves are healing... but as we all do the wish is for speed...

SS

SS,I don’t know that I’m healing.....  If this is healing it’s the most painful experience of healing I’ve ever had!

Thank you for taking the time to respond....  I hope you are healing ....  All The Best....

F4M

SS

SS,I don’t know that I’m healing.....  If this is healing it’s the most painful experience of healing I’ve ever had!

Thank you for taking the time to respond....  I hope you are healing ....  All The Best....

F4M

Looking back, all those days when I could barely get off the couch I was indeed healing.....  and I did need to slow my taper way way way down in order to have a quality of life that is worth it all.  If you're lowering your dose you are healing honest.... can feel like crap though.  :sick:

And yes this is the most painful experience I've had in my life too!  :sick: unrelenting at times.....  :tickedoff: but it has gotten a whole lot better for me

And I'm not done yet...

SS

SS

F4M

Looking back, all those days when I could barely get off the couch I was indeed healing.....  and I did need to slow my taper way way way down in order to have a quality of life that is worth it all.  If you're lowering your dose you are healing honest.... can feel like crap though.  :sick:

And yes this is the most painful experience I've had in my life too!  :sick: unrelenting at times.....  :tickedoff: but it has gotten a whole lot better for me

And I'm not done yet...

SS :smitten::thumbsup:

SS,

Unfortunately, I was cold turkeyed by my doctor.  So, my CNS hasn’t been able to recover from the shock. 

You’re doing it wisely and going slow.  You will be fine :smitten::thumbsup:

SS

F4M

And I'm not done yet...

SS :smitten::thumbsup:

SS,

Unfortunately, I was cold turkeyed by my doctor.  So, my CNS hasn’t been able to recover from the shock. 

You’re doing it wisely and going slow.  You will be fine :smitten::thumbsup:

Hi there Fighting4Me.

My apologies for not reading your signature more thoroughly  :-[  I am so sorry that you were CT'd  :'( and that I sent my breezy reply to your post.  :-[

(And thanks for being a good sport about my error).

:smitten:

SS