Another BB Alcohol Casualty

[Ma...]

Ever since I broke my toe a month ago I've been living inside a pressure cooker. I ended up drinking 5 and half beers....312's....like 4.2% alcohol. I wish I could take it back but I can't. I drank them all within a 4 hour period too. The first two beers I drank rather quickly because I don't know how to take my time (depression/addict tendencies) and it didn't feel right. I should of just stopped there but I blamed the ill effects on needing my meds to kick in (gabapentin and phenibut). I bought a 12 pack and had to pour the 6th beer down the sink because I couldn't finish it. It made me sick to my stomach, body and mind. It's been 3.3 days since I drank the beer and the hardcore shock like effects seem to be fading but I'm a pale shadow of what I was before I drank the beer. All the acute wd symptoms came back pretty much....the head pressure, the confusion, depression, mental retardation, mild dp/dr, etc.

It seems benzo wd makes it harder to heal from injuries as well. It doesn't help that I whacked my toe twice but I feel afraid that it won't get better soon enough. I also have a tendency to bump into things and lightly whack it here and there but not too hard. I should just get a cast at this point. ugh....

I rolled the dice with the beer. I thought maybe, just maybe the gabapentin and phenibut I take will kind of protect my brain from the shock but it didn't really. Maybe a little but I doubt it. The few alcohol set backs I had while on benzos were not as bad as this. Alcohol was more tolerable with benzos in my system is what I mean.

Alcohol really is horrible for an ex benzo user.  It was 16 weeks exactly since I finished my taper when I drank the beer.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Be...]

• [Pa...]

• [gi...]

I'm sorry you've put yourself through this. Please refrain from alcohol, everyday I wish I could just feel like my old self. We will get there, it's just going to take a long time. I would love to just go out and drink but I can't handle public places so that's not an option for me. I'm scared what the alcohol would do this early on. I probably wont drink until I'm completely symptom free for at least 2 3 months.  Take care of your body, you will feel better soon.

I was recovering from a foot injury as well when I c/t'd, however it was a foot that had the bone shaved off (very painful stuff). It felt a bit overly sensitive than usual but healed over time *and on time) so don't worry. I did not drink either so that must have been my saving grace.

You drank 3.5 months after your jump? Definitely too quick. I’m a little over 2 years out and feel 90% healed 90% of the time and I still haven’t drank (even though I look forward to it one day).  Be patient and remember what you went through next time you think it’s ok. 

You drank 3.5 months after your jump? Definitely too quick. I’m a little over 2 years out and feel 90% healed 90% of the time and I still haven’t drank (even though I look forward to it one day).  Be patient and remember what you went through next time you think it’s ok.

It only took one time for me to learn this lesson, and I did it at six months out. While I'm finally starting to feel better again, I'm still paying for it at 8 1/2 months out.

I feel like I made everything intolerable by doing this but I feel like I will get better soon. Not sure how long to get back where I was. My toe needs to heal. I decided to start using crutches today and try to not put weight on my foot for a few weeks and keep the buddy tape on. I tapered benzos slowly so I don't know what the extent of the alcohol setback is. It feels like a two week struggle at this point for my toe and alcohol setback. I started smoking again to make things worse because of that damn beer. I've been dabbling with occasional tramadol too. I took about 75mg of it today. Its giving me loads of head pressure with the American spirit cigs. Too much norepinephrine and benzo wd shit. Perfect storm. I need to clean up this mess now. Thanks everyone for replying. Nobody should have to go through what we do.

I feel like I made everything intolerable by doing this but I feel like I will get better soon. Not sure how long to get back where I was. My toe needs to heal. I decided to start using crutches today and try to not put weight on my foot for a few weeks and keep the buddy tape on. I tapered benzos slowly so I don't know what the extent of the alcohol setback is. It feels like a two week struggle at this point for my toe and alcohol setback. I started smoking again to make things worse because of that damn beer. I've been dabbling with occasional tramadol too. I took about 75mg of it today. Its giving me loads of head pressure with the American spirit cigs. Too much norepinephrine and benzo wd shit. Perfect storm. I need to clean up this mess now. Thanks everyone for replying. Nobody should have to go through what we do.

As someone who had a pin inserted in their big toe along with bone sawed up, I was on my feet in 6 weeks (including stitches being removed) - how is yours taken so long? Is this a Dr diagnosis? If you don’t push your toe, the joint will stiffen and you’ll require PT.

It happened on 12/21/2017. Then on 1/2/18 I hit my toe again the same way on a box but not as bad as the first time. It was getting better. I was walking on it. I had it taped up since around 1/4... don't ask how I remember all the dates. I'm like a character from a Christopher Nolan movie... following clues. Well, on 1/19 I had to leave the house to go to the dentist and the buddy tape fell off my toe. My toe felt pretty much healed and on its way. Something happened while I was wearing these shoes while driving I think. I had to slam on the breaks kind of hard. I didn't notice anything until an hour or so later when I got up to leave the dentist. My toe became numb and it started hurting when I put weight on it. It hasn't gotten better since the 19th. The X-ray said there was a small amount of flow new bone along the lateral margin of the proximal phalanx of the fifth toe, that appeared like a small shadow. Every time I leave the house to go do something here and there it gets worse. I don't know what to do. So not sure if the joint is getting stiff, it feels stiff and numb.. there was no dislocation or displaced fracture. I doesn't even look like a big deal on the x-ray.

I could of partially torn ligaments. It can take up to 6 weeks for these toe injuries to heal according to some online research. Not sure if I should just walk on my toe now. I would if it didn't bother me so much and get swollen.

I rolled the dice with the beer. I thought maybe, just maybe the gabapentin and phenibut I take will kind of protect my brain from the shock but it didn't really. Maybe a little but I doubt it. The few alcohol set backs I had while on benzos were not as bad as this. Alcohol was more tolerable with benzos in my system is what I mean.

Alcohol really is horrible for an ex benzo user.  It was 16 weeks exactly since I finished my taper when I drank the beer.

During my first taper when I got down to 2 mg Valium I drink three glasses of wine and I had the worst experience with alcohol that I’ve ever had in my life- big taper set back too.

After I was off of benzo’s for about a year I trird to drink again – SICK -And now it just makes me feel ill thinking about it. Talk about aversion therapy!

This is a great thread.  It will help MANY people who read all these posts and it will help offset all the threads that say drinking alcohol is harmless. 

Thank you to all of you who have posted your experiences.

Sofa

Sounds like you have potential bursitis on fifth metatarsal. Is there a tailor bunion forming when you say extra bone?

I don't see anything like that. My toe looks normal, just a little swollen. I mean it is swollen. I'm just going to start walking on it without arching my foot, limping. I will put weight on it and plant my foot evenly I guess without over exerting. I'm worried now that I'm not pushing my toe enough and this is why this happened. If I feel around the area where there was a little shadow on the X-ray it feels like a really small growth of bone but I don't know if that was there before. It probably is new bone. Those were the findings on the X-ray diagnoses. I just typed it out exactly as it was written basically. How can I tell if I have bursitis. I mean is that just swelling that doesn't go away?

I started soaking my feet in this foot bath gizmo I have with epsom salts and I'm walking on it. It feels better I think. I probably was making a mistake by not walking on it considering that it started feeling better right away. I'm going to keep soaking it and just keep trying to heal it. Thanks for helping me realize that I should walk on my foot because I was seriously too scared to. I'm a complete coward these days.

As for the benzo wd.... The headaches are awful but I've been smoking, which always makes headaches really bad. I'll quit tomorrow. But I shouldn't be getting headaches. I stopped getting them a month ago for the most part. It took a lot of hard work too to heal to that level. I wonder how long this is going to last. When I quit Suboxone back in 2012 I used to have bad alcohol hangover issues too, that would last about a week. Not sure how serious this is. I don't have issues healing when I am able to live a certain way. Ive been overeating lately. It was in control when I was able to exercise but I put on at least 10lbs this month. I can't stop eating. The cannabis use makes it pretty bad even though I don't use much. I'm surprised I'm not really fat. But I'm not winning no bikini contests, that's for sure. If I had access to a swimming pool that would of helped me out this month.

The only positive thing as far as the alcohol set back is I seem to be improving everyday. At least I'm getting better everyday but it seems like it is happening slowly.

The only positive thing as far as the alcohol set back is I seem to be improving everyday. At least I'm getting better everyday but it seems like it is happening slowly.

You've said it Mamoot!  I have been hit by 2 bad waves, both caused by alcohol, in month 6 and 8.  The improvement was continuous, and I was able to pull out of both waves without a major setback.  You will too, just watch the booze. ;)

That's great that you were able to bounce back ginger. One thing that I regret is drinking too quickly. I basically slammed the first two beers and felt something off right away but I blamed my meds not kicking in and continued to drink. It would of been a lot worse if I bought a small bottle of whiskey which I thought about but decided I couldn't stomach it. I don't even really like 312 beer but I couldn't think of anything else at the time. I didn't enjoy the experience at all. I wonder if taking a benzo would of been as dysphoric and made me as sick. Like if I would of taken klonopin or something. Not that I would ever consider that but is it just alcohol that makes us sick or is it benzos too after you quit?

That's great that you were able to bounce back ginger. One thing that I regret is drinking too quickly. I basically slammed the first two beers and felt something off right away but I blamed my meds not kicking in and continued to drink.

That's me too, I drank too quickly.  I would wolf down one beer and immediately reach for another, and then another.  I knew there was going to be price to pay for it, but I didn't care.  I just wanted to get buzzed.  And I did get buzzed and then some, screw that!  I've learned from these 2 waves and will not be this stupid anymore.  I think that such actions may stem from our resentment that we can't have regular social lives right now.  But that still doesn't make it right.

Sounds like you have potential bursitis on fifth metatarsal. Is there a tailor bunion forming when you say extra bone?

I don't see anything like that. My toe looks normal, just a little swollen. I mean it is swollen. I'm just going to start walking on it without arching my foot, limping. I will put weight on it and plant my foot evenly I guess without over exerting. I'm worried now that I'm not pushing my toe enough and this is why this happened. If I feel around the area where there was a little shadow on the X-ray it feels like a really small growth of bone but I don't know if that was there before. It probably is new bone. Those were the findings on the X-ray diagnoses. I just typed it out exactly as it was written basically. How can I tell if I have bursitis. I mean is that just swelling that doesn't go away?

That's exactly what it is - it's basically an internal blister. That bone you speak of is a bunion - and no it won't ever go away since bone is growing outward unless you have surgical intervention.

Are you wearing tight shoes?

I just want to mention that phenibut does affect GABA and has also caused setbacks in recovery.  Phenibut itself can apparently have some pretty bad withdrawal.  I have seen cases on reddit where patients were actually prescribed benzos to help with phenibut withdrawal.  It may be worth considering stopping the phenibut to see if it help with withdrawal.

That's exactly what it is - it's basically an internal blister. That bone you speak of is a bunion - and no it won't ever go away since bone is growing outward unless you have surgical intervention.

If it is a bunion as of right now it is still really small. Not sure if it will get larger. I mean I'm not even sure it is there it is so small. The swelling makes my fifth toe difficult to feel anything too in the area because the skin feels thick. I wouldn't consider the swelling extreme or anything but it looks noticeably bigger than my other normal small toe on my left foot. I'm not wearing tight shoes when I go out. Lately, I've been wearing an orthopedic shoe. I also have a pair of Vans that are not tight around the toes.

Do you have any idea how long it take for bursitis to resolve on its own? My toe feels soar and tender today since I started walking on it. I'm going to keep using the epsom salt baths and try to get my toe functional again. Should I keep walking on it or should I try keeping weight off it like before?

Dolphinator. I've been on phenibut as long as I've been on benzos and used it on and off since 2012. I'm very dependent on it so I need to taper it like I did the benzo.

If it is a bunion as of right now it is still really small. Not sure if it will get larger. I mean I'm not even sure it is there it is so small. The swelling makes my fifth toe difficult to feel anything too in the area because the skin feels thick. I wouldn't consider the swelling extreme or anything but it looks noticeably bigger than my other normal small toe on my left foot. I'm not wearing tight shoes when I go out. Lately, I've been wearing an orthopedic shoe. I also have a pair of Vans that are not tight around the toes.

Do you have any idea how long it take for bursitis to resolve on its own? My toe feels soar and tender today since I started walking on it. I'm going to keep using the epsom salt baths and try to get my toe functional again. Should I keep walking on it or should I try keeping weight off it like before?

I had to get 1 surgery to have it drained. It acted up again and they had to cut it off since the bone grew to the point I was in pain. Grab some toe spacers, keep using the salt,  and see your Podiatrist (it's going to get worse each day if you don't). I'm not a Doctor but that sounds an awful like what I had going and I was stuck in bed for 2 months...bright side, I was able to recover from benzo's while on bed rest.

The swelling is crazy right now. I don't have a choice but to rest it. I'm devastated now. It is bursitis. Probably a severe case of it. My toe looks like a fat man right now. I'll probably end up needing surgery to fix this if I keep walking on it this point. This is horrible. I'll probably be on my ass for two weeks now.

The swelling is crazy right now. I don't have a choice but to rest it. I'm devastated now. It is bursitis. Probably a severe case of it. My toe looks like a fat man right now. I'll probably end up needing surgery to fix this if I keep walking on it this point. This is horrible. I'll probably be on my ass for two weeks now.

Go to your podiatrist - a cortisone shot may help with swelling.

I went to my pdoc. Worst experience ever. I hate him. Not even sure if I will be able to see a podiatrist with the insurance I have. Is my toe permanently messed up or can I heal it?