Please help with xanax taper

[To...]

I have posted a thread on here with no responses. I’m really trying to get off xanax for good. I kind of have to because my dr is stopping the prescription. I have been taking xanax daily at different doses for about four months now. Do to stress in my life I have taken 2mg on a needed basis, but never really exceed more than 1mg daily. I’m prescribed two 1mg twice a day. I have about 70 bars left. Can someone please help me with a taper plan? I know it will take maybe months and not a couple weeks but would like to make it a moderate paced taper. Not to drawn out but not too short. Like I said really only took 1mg an hour or so before bed. Don’t really feel withdrawals during the day the after taking it the night before but know if I don’t take it I’ll start feeling sick. I have detoxed off xanax before. Just had a dr persuade me to get back on it.

Thanks,

-Tool

since you're taking 1 mg per day, and you have 140 mg to taper, I'd suggest a direct taper off xanax. According to this calculator:  you could reduce by 10% every 14 days, and it would take 126.21 mg to finish tapering. I would start there and speed up or slow own depending on how bad your symptoms get. Don't go much slower than that though, because you only have 140 mg to use for your taper.

Edit: Removed infected link

Since you rarely take more than 1mg daily, I'd start there and hold for at least three days, then begin cutting by 10%.  After the first cut I'd re-evaluate.  If all went well on the first cut, I'd take another 10% cut.

Depending on how I was doing at that point, I'd ask for suggestions about how to proceed from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your responses. I am basically now cutting down with a pill cutter to a little more than .5mg Like on the imprint I take the G (.5) and probably a little more past the line so maybe .6mg or .75mg. Where should I go from here? and how many days would you guys recommend with tapering down? 14 days or longer? I also have gabapentin I'm prescribed. They are 300mg. I heard neurotin has helped in xanax tapering or withdrawals? Also have doxepin 50mg prescribed to take for sleep. Don't know if any of y'all have experience or knowledge on if those medications would help the taper process and how much I should take? I know you guys are not doctors and I should consult with my doctor. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask for y all's opinion. Thank you so much!

-Tool

Thank you so much for your responses. I am basically now cutting down with a pill cutter to a little more than .5mg Like on the imprint I take the G (.5) and probably a little more past the line so maybe .6mg or .75mg. Where should I go from here? and how many days would you guys recommend with tapering down? 14 days or longer? I also have gabapentin I'm prescribed. They are 300mg. I heard neurotin has helped in xanax tapering or withdrawals? Also have doxepin 50mg prescribed to take for sleep. Don't know if any of y'all have experience or knowledge on if those medications would help the taper process and how much I should take? I know you guys are not doctors and I should consult with my doctor. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask for y all's opinion. Thank you so much!

-Tool

Sounds like you are able to cut & hold with no major issues. I would continue at the pace you have been going. If symptoms become difficult, just hold at that particular dose till you feel well enough to start moving forward again.

Good luck!