SSRIs?

[KE...]

Hello-

I have been Klonopin free since February, with the exception of an isolated incident about 3 weeks ago when I took one .5mg Klonopin during a desperate time.

I have not been able to get my anxiety under control, and it is dictating my life.  My doctor has prescribed me Prozac.  I have not taken an SSRI in many years, and after my experience with benzos, I am pretty terrified of introducing a new pill.  The prozac was prescribed to me over a month ago and I still haven't taken one yet.

What I'm looking for here is some advice, but mainly encouragement.  Please don't send me any catastrophic warnings, I am already way too obsessed with analyzing bodily functions. I am hoping maybe someone out there has had a good experience with SSRIs???  I am aware that the beginning stages may have side effects such as insomnia and panic, and that it may take up to 6 weeks to work.  Part of the reason I am scared to take them is because of the panic I may experience during the first couple of weeks of adjustment.  Is there anyone out there who has experienced this, but gone on to have a positive experience with Prozac?

Please help.....

Thanks.

Hi KEHP83,

I took Prozac for years, it really helped quiet the thoughts that seemed to constantly run through my mind.  It helped me to let go of things that didn't matter, to not sweat the small stuff.  If those things are part of anxiety, then perhaps it will help you.

Pam

I had great success with celexa/welbutrin and later effexor in my 30's and early 40's.  The medication helped with my depression and anxiety issues and these were the most productive years of my life (learned how to ski, went to grad school, working, exercising, raising kids).  I never had an adjustment period with lots of anxiety.

Good Luck

I have had good experiences with SSRI's. I've taken them off and on for several years. They help me to not excessively worry, and also sleep better as a result.

I do prefer smaller doses though. They help, without causing excessive fog and inertia.