Who can drink coffee while going through anxiety?

[Te...]

And why do you think that is? I'm wondering because I cannot drink it. I've tried many times. It pushes my anxiety up so badly that my blood pressure takes a real hit.

Terry, I guess there are individual differences in sensitivity to a stimulant like caffeine.

I mix decaf and regular coffee in an 80% decaf to 20% caffeinated and have one 12 oz mug in the morning. I actually was at zero caffeine for about a year and then gradually added caffeine until I got to the 80/20 mix and that works great for me.

I'm very careful not to have any other caffeine from any other source (chocolate, iced tea, etc.) throughout the day.

I think it is because coffee is a mild psychotropic and a mild stimulant. It's a GABA receptor antagonist and it also makes the body produce more dopamine. So, the dopamine increase combined with the GABA antagonistic effect can cause this. I am also speculating that this rev up may cause anxiety and make body produce more adrenaline, too. And then, there is the anticipatory fear due to panic from previous episodes of drinking coffee and symptom flareups.

Something along those  lines.

Terry, I guess there are individual differences in sensitivity to a stimulant like caffeine.

I mix decaf and regular coffee in an 80% decaf to 20% caffeinated and have one 12 oz mug in the morning. I actually was at zero caffeine for about a year and then gradually added caffeine until I got to the 80/20 mix and that works great for me.

I'm very careful not to have any other caffeine from any other source (chocolate, iced tea, etc.) throughout the day.

TMB, I'm glad you're able to find what sounds like the perfect cup of coffee. All the more power to you!!! Have one on me, will you?  :thumbsup:

I think it is because coffee is a mild psychotropic and a mild stimulant. It's a GABA receptor antagonist and it also makes the body produce more dopamine. So, the dopamine increase combined with the GABA antagonistic effect can cause this. I am also speculating that this rev up may cause anxiety and make body produce more adrenaline, too. And then, there is the anticipatory fear due to panic from previous episodes of drinking coffee and symptom flareups.

Something along those  lines.

As usual, Loraz, I think you hit the jackpot. I think you're right about the adrenaline, and I shouldn't drink it because I already have adrenaline issues. I've learned a heavy, heavy lesson.  :'( I don't know much about dopamine, but what you said sounds right. And as for the heightened anxiety, I have that, too. Awful...

I don’t drink coffee anymore, it’s too much of a stimulant. I can however tolerate one green tea a day, which I enjoy. Everyone is different in what they can tolerate and what revs up their symptoms.

Thank you for that, Loraz!! I will read it and hopefully understand it. I'm sorry you miss your coffee, too!!

Before the ativan, I found coffee both stimulating and sort of sedating at the same time. I have hard time explaining this. Maybe the dopamine levels in my brain were falling off due to long-term SSRI use.

And why do you think that is? I'm wondering because I cannot drink it. I've tried many times. It pushes my anxiety up so badly that my blood pressure takes a real hit.

Hi Terry38, so sorry you can't enjoy coffee right now.  Some of it may be anticipatory anxiety, don't worry, age is not an issue, you're in the prime of your life.  For some people, coffee in moderation helps with anxiety from what I've read on these forums.  It's loaded with antioxidants that put immune system at ease.  I personally don't care for coffee, never had, but it can be helpful in times of low energy.  In my first 6-7 months of withdrawal I couldn't even touch coffee, it sent me into a tailspin everytime.  But I can drink it now in moderation, no problem, a cup here or there.  It especially enhances my dessert experience with a healthy piece of homemade chocolate cake.

A gastro told me to only have coffee in the morning as it can irritate the intestine and contribute to reflux.  I gave up coffee for 9 months, then only had one in the morning, and 10 months later am now having 2 or 3 a day.  But I do drink it black (easier to digest) and I stick to instant coffee as anything else makes me overstimulated and a little uncomfortable (always has done).  I’m happy to stop it at any time but equally happy that I’m able to drink it... strangely celebrated more when I had my first cup of English breakfast tea which I find can be calming, with a snack, when insomnia cuts in

Such interesting answers! Thank you!

I've heard about the sedating effects of coffee on BB. Also, people suddenly being able to drink coffee after a long time without. What's with that? Did the nerves suddenly settle down?

Also, yes, I remember drinking instant coffee and it not having the same feeling as the coffee in cafes. Yet it did do the job.

And I'd love to drink coffee with desserts, ginger. Such a pleasure. Anticipatory anxiety - I certainly feel that before drinking coffee!

Does anyone have adrenaline issues? Maybe that's my problem. Coffee starts up the anxiety, and if the anxiety builds up over days of drinking coffee (not even every day), I get adrenaline coursing through my body. But I've been drinking strong coffee. My bad. I should have taken it easier first.

Green tea I haven't really experienced much of, but I've heard that it gives a lift.

Hello Terry: I am back to BB after a long time. Two years ago I was diagnosed with GAD and reflux. I went to a holistic psychiatrist (after firing my first doctor) because I wanted a more natural approach to start weaning off the Ativan and other drugs. This doc strongly recommended me to stop caffeine in all forms. I was not much of a coffee drinker anyway, so it was easy to stop it CT. I still don't miss it; however, when I tried it in chocholate, tea, or desserts it increased my anxiety and disturbed my sleep. One of the issues I dealt when I CT of depakote/lamictal/seroquel was I became super sensitive to food and any stimulants. My reflux is resolved, but I still struggle with some anxiety and sleep disturbances which I am dealing with them in a more holistic approach with some supplements. I finished my DLMT two months ago. I truly don't miss coffee, but I do miss chocolate and some desserts that have coffee like Tiramisu. I usually have to eat in very small portions. One has to learn how your body reacts to different stimulants; and if it doesn't agree, it is a sign that you need to stop it or take sporadically and in moderation. I had also stopped; and then, a month ago, I had a bit more wine than I should have, and I had a hard time sleeping. So, alcohol is a no no for me now. My body after jumping is still sensitive, and I have to let it heal. Coffee can be a good diuretic, headache and constipation relief for many people. But I rather use other approaches now since my GAD diagnosis.

I agree with you about your body being extra sensitive after c/ting off drugs. I c/t'd .5 mg. of Ativan, then went too fast in my taper. I've been on and off many drugs during withdrawal/recovery. It might be that my body is far too sensitive now to that. Dark chocolate causes a rise in my blood pressure. Never had this before benzos, but I found this out. Honey also. I was also diagnosed with GAD, but for me it's been benzo-induced. 

Much as I like coffee, I can't do it. Maybe once in awhile, but the last time I was drinking it, it wasn't every day. I didn't know where my tipping point was until BAM, it happened. In my case, high blood pressure - 188/90. My blood pressure has always been the barometer for me in knowing what not to ingest in benzoland. The only thing is that the warnings were kind of whispering. They weren't shouting.

One has to learn how your body reacts to different stimulants; and if it doesn't agree, it is a sign that you need to stop it or take sporadically and in moderation. This is excellent. No matter how hard it is to stop doing something, or to do it sporadically only, it's important to follow the body's guide. We all want to get well, after all.

CONGRATULATIONS on getting off the pills!!!

We all want to heal that is for sure, and our bodies are truly trying to help us heal...if we just let them do it! That's why we have to listen to our bodies. You're right in saying that your blood pressure is like your barometer (it is after all one of the main vital signs of homeostasis) And believe me your body will fight back when it senses something that you ingested, smelled, or put on your skin don't agree. During tapering and post tapering our bodies are still trying to reach homeostasis but will take time; and some things may not ever be the same again. Only God will know.

Good luck in your recovery!

No way could I touch caffeine when I was very symptomatic. When I started feeling better I would drink decaf. Now I can drink what I want with no symptoms. Sometimes I even have 2 - 3 cups of fully caffeinated coffee in the morning and no symptom flair ups. I say do what you feel comfortable with. You will most likely get to a point in your healing where you can drink it again.

No way could I touch caffeine when I was very symptomatic. When I started feeling better I would drink decaf. Now I can drink what I want with no symptoms. Sometimes I even have 2 - 3 cups of fully caffeinated coffee in the morning and no symptom flair ups. I say do what you feel comfortable with. You will most likely get to a point in your healing where you can drink it again.

Siggy!!! So, so glad for you, guy!!! Do have one cup for me, will you?

By the way, I agree with you. I'm thinking it's going to be another year at least before I can touch coffee. And I used to LOVE it!

Definetly terry, I’ll drink in every to you tomorrow then!

I actually think I missed having coffee more than alcohol. I drank decaf green tea for a while. I rally like a nice dark roasted coffee.  :)

Thanks, Siggy!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I miss coffee much more than alcohol. There's nothing like the fresh smell of coffee and the feeling that I used to have from it! I liked dark roasted, too.

Siggy, I forgot to ask you: Do you still avoid alcohol?

I miss coffee much more than alcohol. There's nothing like the fresh smell of coffee and the feeling that I used to have from it! I liked dark roasted, too.

Yes! After two terrible setbacks from it, I'll never drink it again. My first one lasted 10 months and then I waited another year to drink. Same thing happened to me. The second setback lasted 4 months, but it was almost worse than the first one. I guess some people can maybe drink after recovery, but I'm definitely not one of them.

I have low blood pressure and find coffee helpful. If it has any effect on my anxiety level, it rather calms me down. Helps me concentrate. I think BP is a really important factor here.

Yes! After two terrible setbacks from it, I'll never drink it again. My first one lasted 10 months and then I waited another year to drink. Same thing happened to me. The second setback lasted 4 months, but it was almost worse than the first one. I guess some people can maybe drink after recovery, but I'm definitely not one of them.

I'm so sorry about the setbacks, Siggy!! I have had setbacks with coffee; ironically I can drink a bit of alcohol without any problems. i wonder what it is about the DNA and benzos that causes this?