The Oddest thing....

[Ma...]

Over the past few weeks I was geeting maybe 4 hours sleep, yet I would wake up, feel somewhat tired yet past 2 nights I feel like I slept 6 hours wake up and feel extremely HORRIBLE! Its like the longer I think Im asleep the worse I am, no reason why

Not an uncommon experience Mark. Healing takes an up and down path. When feeling a little better we tend to sleep more, but that also means that we are not as amped up with uncontrolled energy so the exhaustion of the whole experience catches up to us. Good and bad, but we need the sleep regardless.

I also sometimes feel bad when I sleep more. Initially I am happy and amped up in morning, but then it goes away soon. I start going downhill as the day progresses. I also wake up with a bad headache after sleeping 5-7 hours.  I just hope my brain can hold up with so little sleep over such a long period of time.

Hang in there Mark.

I have this too. A few nights ago, I had a very bad night and slept only 2-3 hours yet felt okay the next day. Then last night I slept 6+ hours and today I feel like death. I agree, it doesn't make any sense! I am trying to hold on for the ride. Everyone says if we keep going, we will feel normal again one day.

teegirl, I wonder if when we finally get some very much needed sleep, our brains are overworked trying to sort everything out during the night. On nights with so little sleep, there may not be a lot of action going on in there. That's how it seems to me, but I really have no idea. On the nights when I sleep an hour or less, I feel so disjointed and awful, but it is different than when I do finally get some sleep. The brain is a strange and magnificent thing.

teegirl, I wonder if when we finally get some very much needed sleep, our brains are overworked trying to sort everything out during the night. On nights with so little sleep, there may not be a lot of action going on in there. That's how it seems to me, but I really have no idea. On the nights when I sleep an hour or less, I feel so disjointed and awful, but it is different than when I do finally get some sleep. The brain is a strange and magnificent thing.

Hi Nightengale, I feel like the bad nights come when I'm overstimulated (from stress, social activity, etc) and then my body stays amped up the next day so I don't feel as tired. But then when I finally crash and have a "good" night of sleep, my body is not amped up anymore so the next day I can *feel* how fatigued I really am. Does that make any sense? But I'd still rather have the better night of sleep, even if I feel dreary the next day. Because I think that it's just healthier to get the sleep.

I have had the same reaction. I have been sleeping "more" the past 4 nights. 4-6 hours each night. But, I have started to feel really fatigued. Kind of like exercise intolerance. I don't even want to walk to the mailbox, and a week ago I was walking 3 miles or doing intensity training and lifting weights everyday.

well now after sleeping some for a few weeks its back to no sleep at all....I just don't get it! If I was sleeping nightly for awhile without taking nothing though the quality sucked anyways, why am I back to this no sleep crap again?!

Mark, I hear ya, it is horribly frustrating to sleep, then get back into a no sleep routine.  It is so stressful.  I try to keep going with running on empty because everyone says it will get better.  Hanging on is the tough part.

Teegirl, I do understand what you are saying about your body not being amped after a good night's sleep. It makes perfect sense!

Tigereye, fatigue does seem to take over after sleeping more. I don't get it either, but it also happens to me. I just drag myself out of bed most every morning and go through my exercise routine. For some reason, after finally sleeping at least four hours last night, I did not want to get up and exercise this morning, do yoga or lift hand weights, so I didn't. 

Hi Everyone,  I have experienced the same....In fact, I just told my husband this morning, as we were out on our run, that I felt ok when I got up,  ( not a great night of sleep, but better than some nights) then as the morning went on, I feel like crap!  It is a hard to explain feeling....I am so glad I read this post today.  Now,"" after reading the posts, this all makes sense....it is the "awful poison withdrawal"  that is doing this to us!..It is a horrible roller-coaster!

Let's all keep the faith :thumbsup:

I experience the same thing. I slept better than usual last night, but feel very anxious and shaky this morning.i also sometimes feel ok when I first get up in the morning after a good night sleep only to get sx after a couple of hours. When I only get a few hours of sleep I don’t feel great, but the physical symptoms are not as bad. I believe that this is caused by REM rebound. I’ve attached a Web MD article indicating that “new research is .....suggesting that the bad and "restless" REM sleep experienced by insomnia patients may, in turn, undermine their ability to overcome emotional distress, raising their risk for chronic depression or anxiety.” This makes sense to me.

https://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20160208/poor-rem-sleep-may-be-linked-to-higher-risk-for-anxiety-depression#1

I just started using my FitBit to track my sleep. I am sleeping more than I thought.

Last night Fitbit  showed me that I slept for 5 hours and 50 minutes and during that time I woke up 5 times and was restless for 30 minutes.

Cliffdweller, I had to take my fitbit off, as it said I was sleeping less than I thought I was. That was before I began my taper, but have not felt like dealing with it, again. Maybe once I feel better.  What I have noticed since I jumped, is my dreams are faded in color and with little ability to remember them. The article that Shaftoe shared a link for, explains it.

I hope I'm not caught in a rabbit hole with my recovery.