I tried Chamomile Extract for sleep...

[...]

Hi All,

I wanted to share.

I had been drinking Chamomile tea at bed to help me sleep.  It works but drinking fluids just before bed causes me to get up and pee more often at night.

So, last night I tried the Chamomile in a pill.  It is Chamomile Extract from Nature’s Way (pills are 220mg for Chaommile flower and 125mg Chamomile Extract -1.2%apigenin 1.5mg). 

I took just 1/3 of the pill and started reading a book.  In 15 minutes I felt actually sleepy and sleep pretty well despite I am still in taper mode - withdrawal anxiety insomnia.  That is, I still have sleep problems from my taper but they were MUCH less last night.

I am going to try it again tonight.

Good luck.

My mind set is crazy in that I think there is nothing that will help my benzo brain to sleep except time. I am currently trying canabis ( I am in a legal state)

I too have trouble with sleep.  Getting up several times has become a habit.  Although I try to limit drinks, I have bad muscle cramps and have to take several supplements and drink a lot of water.  So I have resigned to getting up to pee.  I take, on occasion, a Valerian capsule, or drink tea with it.  It seems to help my sleep, but as with all other things I do not do it regularly.  I feel that regular use of ANY substance will cause dependence.  I may just be gun shy at the moment.  I have had insomnia since I was 17, and I am now 54,  so I have literally tried everything.  I know that I CAN sleep, because at random times I have been able to take naps with no 'help'.  I am keeping the hope that can translate into nighttime.  Good luck.  :thumbsup:

I too have trouble with sleep.  Getting up several times has become a habit.  Although I try to limit drinks, I have bad muscle cramps and have to take several supplements and drink a lot of water.  So I have resigned to getting up to pee.  I take, on occasion, a Valerian capsule, or drink tea with it.  It seems to help my sleep, but as with all other things I do not do it regularly.  I feel that regular use of ANY substance will cause dependence.  I may just be gun shy at the moment.  I have had insomnia since I was 17, and I am now 54,  so I have literally tried everything.  I know that I CAN sleep, because at random times I have been able to take naps with no 'help'.  I am keeping the hope that can translate into nighttime.  Good luck.  :thumbsup:

I feel that regular use of ANY substance will cause dependence.

I

I agree that regular use of any substance will cause dependence-

I feel that regular use of ANY substance will cause dependence.

I

I agree that regular use of any substance will cause dependence-

Yes, but that's where we all get in trouble. Instead of using something natural like Chamomile Tea Extract for sleep, we end up resorting to these heavy psychiatric drugs (and benzos are heavy psychiatric drugs) that actually worsen sleep over time and create a profound and dangerous physical dependence. I have yet to see a support group for people coming off of Chamomile Extract or Chamomile Tea. :). Dependence can happen, but I doubt it would be this life altering as with the psychiatric drugs.

I been sleeping but all I cn say is the Quality is 0, Stage 2 at best, wake up feeling just as crappy as I was before I think I slept

Did you taper off or CT?

I been sleeping but all I cn say is the Quality is 0, Stage 2 at best, wake up feeling just as crappy as I was before I think I slept

Did you taper off or CT?

Well I was on Ativan 2 years at 1mg,Quit it for almost 11 months but ws taking substitutes like Remron and others, so probably didnt help the healing process, I went back to ativan from September thru December 10th or so last year then stopped again, so been off clean again for a month and half or more

Hello Bob:

I also drink chamomile tea, but I alternate with sleepytime tea, passionflower tea or kava kava sometimes. It works for me. It  may create dependency (as some people are so adamant and scared about) as everything else. However, I believe that this is so much better than the conventional drugs (not that I am against them because they do have their place in this world); but for my issues (GAD and insomnia), I feel going a more holistic approach is better. I even do Roman Chamomile essential oil. I use it in my diffuser or topically and in my hot baths along with lavender. Diffusing next to my nighttime table helps me with sleep as well. You may want to try it also. Now there are USB small diffusers to use in the car...I a thinking about getting me one. Don't be afraid of using something natural. I have always been a tea drinker (years). I don't drink caffeine though! I still have to see a bad effect from this which I believe there is none. I know some people believe one has to be completely drug free/supplement/herbs free to recover from benzo withdrawal. I do take other supplements like melatonin and amino acids and is helping me get the much needed sleep I need to be able to work, go to school, exercise, and live a reasonable functional life. Will I continue this for the rest of my life, only God knows. However, with my experience, I have learned to recycle the supplements or go periods of not taking them. Sleep is something I am still struggling. It is only a little over two months that I finished my DLMT which I belive went well. Except during a year of tapering I had some major life events that made me almost give up, but I didn't. The most recent one has been the death of my mother. I am still in the grieving process, and I had to resume the supplements again which are helping. So you need to know your body and learn some coping skills. Let us know how you are doing with the chamomile pills.

Hello Bob:

I also drink chamomile tea, but I alternate with sleepytime tea, passionflower tea or kava kava sometimes. It works for me. It  may create dependency (as some people are so adamant and scared about) as everything else.

Yeah that would be a great dependency to be addicted or dependent on Tea!  Better than a benzo dependency :laugh:

Last night I took  Benadryl and melatonin with HTP5 and got 7.59 hours sleep according to my Fitbit. :thumbsup:

Wow, 7.5 is great. Was it a straight shot? I guess the Benadryl knocked you out! All drug that have anti histamine effects will do this, like Unisom, Nyquil, flexeril, even Seroquel in small doses. But (yeah there is always a but) I personally don't like taking these z-drugs because it causes me to have some depression the next day (grogginess..a sign that my serotonin levels have been affected). They also do have other side effects if you take them long term. My holistic psychiatrist told me that I could take them occassionally because it also dries your sinuses up and you may get prone to get sinusitis. Also long term may cause dementia like the benzos. So I would be a little careful with their use. So I am sticking with my other supplements/amino acids and herbs. I was taking 1mg melatonin not long ago but I had to increase it to 3mg...and it is making me a little too groggy during the morning; this means I will have to cut back once my organism stabilizes more. Some docs are against melatonin, but I haven't met anybody or read about their long term use effects. How do you feel about this?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

A while back I started this post about chamomile extract but forgot to mark it so the system would tell me when I got responses. So here it is a year later and I just found the post.

I am still taking chamomile extract but lately I’m wondering if it is addicting.  Does anyone else have experience with chamomile extract or chamomile tea?

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Trouble is chamomile down regulates gaba so you are slowing you benzo taper.

As long as you are aware , I agree go natural.

I use chamomile and it’s helping the sleeplessness. I just cut the diazepam a tad faster and fingers crossed some pleasant days.

D

Trouble is chamomile down regulates gaba so you are slowing you benzo taper.

As long as you are aware , I agree go natural.

I use chamomile and it’s helping the sleeplessness. I just cut the diazepam a tad faster and fingers crossed some pleasant days.

D

I was wondering about that concerning Chamomile so I switched to L’theanine.  Does L’theanine do anything bad to GABA receptors?

Yes L Theanine is the active gaba ingredient in green tea and Passion flower too I believe.

But tapering chamomile is very easy.

Dunk by the minute or colour.

I am not stopping it ____yet,

D