Do we have control?

[go...]

When I started tapering my anxiety was unbearable. As I went down it became better and better, it was completely null for the 1st month off ativan. Now at nearly 7 weeks off it is really bad again. Do we have control of anxiety during withdrawal.

There has been no significant change that would bring this on so I guess I would assume that it is withdrawal related. If so do we have the power to control it if it is a mechanism of withdrawal.

Would meditation/breathing exercises help?

I exercise around 30 minutes every day but it doesn't seem to have any effect on my anxiety. I feel a bit powerless. Is there a type of exercise that may help more?

hi buddy, congrats for how far you have come!!

the key is giving up the idea of control. You better face the problem when it comes up, I mean, don't worry so much. Of course exercising, meditation and all these strategies are brilliant and I would not have done all my tapers without them. But the real helper was the moment I somehow got used to having panic attacks. You know you will not die when panic sets in. You know, - or you will learn - how to cope without a benzo.

Its just a "reminder" from your benzo, and it can stay with you for a long time BUT with every day you learn to deal with it. Like a little hairy monster under your bed. The first times you are shocked, later you just say hello and its not a big deal any more.

Like a scar after surgery that hurts from time to time.

Hug

Marigold

PS:

my little helpers are:

1. Body: Go for walks or run. Thats the way we "animals" get rid of stress. Do something with your body, no matter what it is. Understand?

2. Mind: Don't take it so seriously, although it feels like hell. somehow "get used" to it, surrender, give in.

3. Paradoxical things: When nothing else helps, do something you would NEVER do in this situation. You are full in a panic attack? All you want to do is get into bed and close the door. Try to do the opposite - your brain isnt able to get that and very often panic leaves faster. :D

What helped me was to just sit and meditate, nothing deep, just to feel safe and grounded, despite the internal storm.  It really eased my anxiety.

There are coping techniques (breathing, meditation) that can ease anxiety for a little bit, but the withdrawal anxiety can't be addressed directly. We may be able to lessen some external stress (if we can), etc. etc.