Wholesale jump to diazepam. What can I expect?

[bu...]

My doctor today recommended a wholesale jump to diazepam 15-30 mg (she left it up to me) from clonazepam 1.5 mg because I was experiencing inter-dose withdrawal. I'm partly excited that I get to skip weeks of the Ashton schedule if this works, but a little scared too. Any advice, tips, cautions?  :o

Hi Buddy404

I'm giving you my opinion based on my crossover to 15 mg. Valium from 1.5 mg of Ativan and 5 mg. Ambien 7 years ago. I think you would be making a mistake not to follow the Ashton schedule. I took 5 weeks to do the crossover and was glad that it worked. It gives the body time to adjust to the Valium while gradually decreasing the other drug. I always believed Prof. Ashton was right in her recommendation to cross this way. You may not need as much time but I believe you do need time for the Valium to be effective. I also do not believe that Doctors know much about benzo withdrawal. I learned about it from the forum.....from the experiences of people here..... and from the Ashton Manual. I hope others will also share their opinion with you. I wish you the best!

Hi birdgirl1,

I think my psych would have followed it if she could, but I was in such excruciating w/d on the clon, it forced our hands. Today, the first full day of the c/o, I went through some tinnitus before first dose and some mild to moderate symptoms waiting for second dose. I ate three good meals (actually 4) for the first time in weeks. I got out of the house with the family. I read books to my daughter. Really, I'll take that over what I was going through the last few days: excruciating anxiety, in bed all day, not eating, not interacting with the family... It seems like I'm going to make it to 3rd dose with minimal side effects (although the tinnitus is annoying). And according to Ashton, I didn't really up the dose! I agree that doctors knowledge of withdrawal is lacking. My doc was saying she thought 5 mg diaz was equivalent to 0.5mg clon! Fortunately, she's a great doctor who listens and did what I thought was best for me.

Thanks for your best wishes. I appreciate it.

PS. Hoping tinnitus goes away for good once the clon is completely out of my system.

I'm glad to hear that things have improved even with the first day of the c/o. I felt fortunate that Valium worked for me and hope it does for you too!! I have just begun taking 4 mg. to get rid of Ambien so this is my second try with Valium (many years after 1st taper) and will hope for the best! I stabilized for a month last time before beginning a long taper but you can research more in the forum about tapering. This is the best place to get information and support!!

Tinnitus came back for a few days but seems to have subsided again, just today. Maybe the clonazepam is finally out of my system? But, sailed into some rough waters. Today, at the movie theater with my son, I went into an anxiety attack. It took all my will power to stay in my seat and finish the movie. I'm assuming there is some correlation between the quick crossover, the end of the tinnitus, and this attack.

EDIT: Tinnitus still there, seems more pronounced in right ear tonight.

I'm sorry to hear what's happened but I'm guessing the quick crossover is the problem. There was a reason Prof. Ashton made her schedules for longer crossovers. From everything I've read.....the Valium needs time to accumulate (if that's the right word) in your system. I hope things improve!

Yep. I'm feeling some inter-dose anxiety now again. Since the K is eliminated faster than the V accumulates its metabolites, I think I'm in for more of this over the coming days. Right now it's manageable. I've just got to stick with it no matter how bad it gets. Failure is not an option because I was already in tolerance withdrawal from K. No going back.  :'(

Update. Going through some pretty heavy withdrawal now and not sure why. Probably those V metabolites haven't built up enough to cover the K that's left. Doctor thinks if I stick it out it will subside. Not so sure. If tomorrow is unbearable I'll be calling her again. Guess it was kinda ill-advised to go with an overnight substitution.  :idiot:

Another update. Been having a lot of trouble with inter-dose cravings over the last few days. i did some research that Trileptal can double reduce the amount of diazepam in the blood, and it was the Trileptal my doctor *doubled* to treat anxiety I was having because of withdrawals (although she insisted they were not). Decided to roll the dice and C/T Trileptal last. Had a great day. No real cravings.