Success after extremely difficult withdrawal :)

[...]

Aaix, thank you for coming back to share you and your wife's incredible journey.  Something in your original post really jumped out at me.  You said that this whole nightmare started with:

"a severe antibiotic side effects experience that led to a potentially dangerous neuropathy reaction.

Could you elaborate a bit on that antibiotic experience?  What was the name of the antibiotic and did she experience these neurological effects before starting the benzos?  Thank you so much.

:smitten:

She

The antibiotic was nitrofurantoin and was prescribed for e-coli food poisoning.

The antibiotic caused peripheral neuropathy and insomnia. Peripheral neuropathy is potentially life threatening and the docs were saying that tranqs could help.

The benzodiazepines were the start of all the really weird symptoms.

Aaix, thank you for coming back to share you and your wife's incredible journey.  Something in your original post really jumped out at me.  You said that this whole nightmare started with:

"a severe antibiotic side effects experience that led to a potentially dangerous neuropathy reaction.

Could you elaborate a bit on that antibiotic experience?  What was the name of the antibiotic and did she experience these neurological effects before starting the benzos?  Thank you so much.

She

The antibiotic caused peripheral neuropathy and insomnia. Peripheral neuropathy is potentially life threatening and the docs were saying that tranqs could help.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to all these questions.  Your antibiotic is one of the oldest one in existence and considered much safer than the newer ones, so I am so sorry your wife had such a bad reaction to it, leading to the use of benzos.  Sounds like she was in the perfect storm of illness, drug treatments and paradoxical reactions to create the nightmare she went through.  So glad that it is all in the rear view mirror now.

She

She

Thank you for taking the time to respond to all these questions.  Your antibiotic is one of the oldest one in existence and considered much safer than the newer ones, so I am so sorry your wife had such a bad reaction to it, leading to the use of benzos.  Sounds like she was in the perfect storm of illness, drug treatments and paradoxical reactions to create the nightmare she went through.  So glad that it is all in the rear view mirror now.

She

Not a problem, I'm happy to answer any questions whilst I'm still logging on here.

I'm very glad to read that you're almost healed yourself.

Life's journey is a mixture of sunshine and clouds for all of us but some clouds are more significant than others

Thank you for sharing your wife's journey through hell.  I wish her all the good things to come for her life.  Your wife's success has given me hope for one more day. 

Peace and love for both of you.  :-*

Thank you for sharing your wife's journey through hell.  I wish her all the good things to come for her life.  Your wife's success has given me hope for one more day. 

Peace and love for both of you.  :-*

Keep up the hope. The gaba system is mysterious and complex but the damage these drugs can do to it is definitely repairable.

I appreciate your kind words and have seen how hard it is to keep on keeping on through such difficult circumstances.

Your day of freedom will come

Peace and love to you too :)

Thank you for this post. I am a wife helping a husband through, and so I immediately identify with other caregivers who have seen their spouses through such difficult times.

While my husband's symptoms differ from your wife's, he has some scary ones himself, and the ongoing suicidal thoughts for months and months on end have been extremely difficult for me to handle on an ongoing basis while keeping up with my work. I've let go of any of my own friendships or interests for now, as I'm sure you had to as well.

So thank you for posting your story. I can't read it to my husband right now as it scares him to hear how badly people suffer and he has hypochondria tendencies, so I especially can't read him symptoms he doesn't have or he'll start checking for them and reproduce them to some degree. But I will share with him the amazing healing that the two of you saw. I was in need of hope today, and your story is a shining star in my night.

Thank you.

Aaix my hat is off to you. you  are a great and faithful husband to your wife troughout the process. I know it was hard. and it was hard on you seeing her suffer. I am so glad for the both of you. go celebrate and enjoy life together!

Thank you for this post. I am a wife helping a husband through, and so I immediately identify with other caregivers who have seen their spouses through such difficult times.

While my husband's symptoms differ from your wife's, he has some scary ones himself, and the ongoing suicidal thoughts for months and months on end have been extremely difficult for me to handle on an ongoing basis while keeping up with my work. I've let go of any of my own friendships or interests for now, as I'm sure you had to as well.

So thank you for posting your story. I can't read it to my husband right now as it scares him to hear how badly people suffer and he has hypochondria tendencies, so I especially can't read him symptoms he doesn't have or he'll start checking for them and reproduce them to some degree. But I will share with him the amazing healing that the two of you saw. I was in need of hope today, and your story is a shining star in my night.

Thank you.

Your situation, as I well know, is very hard in it's own right. The suicidal thoughts these drugs cause appear to be all too common......and its extremely scary to witness their effects on a loved one. I can only say never forget it's the drug not the person. No matter how hard you're both finding this process recovery is there awaiting him.......and I hope very soon.

The very best of luck to you both :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...