Author Topic: Success after extremely difficult withdrawal :)  (Read 4759 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Success after extremely difficult withdrawal :)
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 01:12:53 pm »
[...], can you share with us the total time your wife was on the medication and what the dosages were, please? Was it about 5 months on the medication, and then 8 months of symptoms? Did [...] do a taper?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 06:58:52 pm »
[...], can you share with us the total time your wife was on the medication and what the dosages were, please? Was it about 5 months on the medication, and then 8 months of symptoms? Did [...] do a taper?
Approx 12 weeks on 10mg Diazepam/day and 10-20mg Temazepam/day. Doctor didn't warn her that changing dosage erratically was dangerous as [...] was advised to take as and when needed ( bad advice! ).
[...] was also put on Clonazepam at about 1mg/day for a short time during this period.
[...] tapered dosage over around 3 months.
The side effects were terrible and extremely scary within 2 weeks of starting the ' medication ' in late October/early November...... so it didn't take long for the penny to drop
Sorry I cannot be more exact but it was over 3 years ago.
The severe withdrawal lasted around 8 months.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 07:04:19 pm »
This is an amazing recovery story! So happy for you and your wife that [...] is well again now. I have extreme weight loss too and saggy skin. I look as if I have aged many years as well. It has to be a great feeling when the horrible symptoms start to subside! I'm hoping for a miracle as well. It is a tragedy that any of us have to live through this nightmare but will be the best feeling ever when it all ends! Thanks for sharing and I'm sure your support was a crucial part of her recovery. Having doctors who don't understand is bad enough and when your family isn't supportive it's devastating.
All the symptoms disappear be sure of that.
I found it hard to believe how quick her sagging skin and hair loss recovered once [...] got past the day I mentioned in my original post.....her weight came back quickly too....... We both found it amazing but that's what happened.
Hang in there these terrible withdrawal symptoms go away, of that there is no doubt.
:)

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 07:05:27 pm »
Thank you for your story! It's nice to hear that there's a miracle when you just want to give upp!
Dont give up you will recover. :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 07:06:06 pm »
[...], thank you for coming back to share you and your wife's incredible journey.  Something in your original post really jumped out at me.  You said that this whole nightmare started with:

"a severe antibiotic side effects experience that led to a potentially dangerous neuropathy reaction.

Could you elaborate a bit on that antibiotic experience?  What was the name of the antibiotic and did [...] experience these neurological effects before starting the benzos?  Thank you so much.

:smitten:
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 07:12:40 pm »
[...], thank you for coming back to share you and your wife's incredible journey.  Something in your original post really jumped out at me.  You said that this whole nightmare started with:

"a severe antibiotic side effects experience that led to a potentially dangerous neuropathy reaction.

Could you elaborate a bit on that antibiotic experience?  What was the name of the antibiotic and did [...] experience these neurological effects before starting the benzos?  Thank you so much.

[...]
The antibiotic was nitrofurantoin and was prescribed for e-coli food poisoning.
The antibiotic caused peripheral neuropathy and insomnia. Peripheral neuropathy is potentially life threatening and the docs were saying that tranqs could help.
The benzodiazepines were the start of all the really weird symptoms.

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 09:35:11 pm »

[...]
The antibiotic caused peripheral neuropathy and insomnia. Peripheral neuropathy is potentially life threatening and the docs were saying that tranqs could help.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to all these questions.  Your antibiotic is one of the oldest one in existence and considered much safer than the newer ones, so I am so sorry your wife had such a bad reaction to it, leading to the use of benzos.  Sounds like [...] was in the perfect storm of illness, drug treatments and paradoxical reactions to create the nightmare [...] went through.  So glad that it is all in the rear view mirror now.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 12:11:07 am »

[...]

Thank you for taking the time to respond to all these questions.  Your antibiotic is one of the oldest one in existence and considered much safer than the newer ones, so I am so sorry your wife had such a bad reaction to it, leading to the use of benzos.  Sounds like [...] was in the perfect storm of illness, drug treatments and paradoxical reactions to create the nightmare [...] went through.  So glad that it is all in the rear view mirror now.

[...]
Not a problem, I'm happy to answer any questions whilst I'm still logging on here.
I'm very glad to read that you're almost healed yourself.
Life's journey is a mixture of sunshine and clouds for all of us but some clouds are more significant than others

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:12:11 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 06:20:39 pm »
Thank you for sharing your wife's journey through hell.  I wish her all the good things to come for her life.  Your wife's success has given me [...] for one more day. 
Peace and love for both of you.  :-*

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 07:21:51 pm »
Thank you for sharing your wife's journey through hell.  I wish her all the good things to come for her life.  Your wife's success has given me [...] for one more day. 
Peace and love for both of you.  :-*
Keep up the [...]. The gaba system is mysterious and complex but the damage these drugs can do to it is definitely repairable.
I appreciate your kind words and have seen how hard it is to keep on keeping on through such difficult circumstances.
Your day of freedom will come
Peace and love to you too :)