Ambien cross to Valium.....question!

[bi...]

Although I knew that taking Ambien after being benzo free for several years would lead to trouble.....I was so frustrated with insomnia last summer that I ignored the warnings and began a gradual descent into Ambien hell. I started out twice a week which did not get me into the full addiction but eventually got there this past December. Not only does it flare up some past withdrawal symptoms.....but side effects are profound. It's like being on a benzo again. I am taking 5 mg. Ambien and hoping to cross to Valium.

I'm seeing the Doctor on Monday who helped me through my previous taper and talk to him about the cross to valium which worked for me the last time.  I had many withdrawal symptoms through the taper but it was easier than my attempt at direct taper from Ativian. I realize that this means I'm doing a second taper.....but thankfully at a lower dose. However.....I know going back to a benzo is the last thing anyone wants to do. I feel the Ambien is already acting like one. I have no idea what to expect..... pray to get through this second taper.

I used the Ashton Manual as a guide when getting rid of Ativan and Ambien.....followed her instructions for the cross-over and it worked.  However.....not as much is mentioned about Ambien as it's a Z drug. My belief is that it acts just like a benzo in our bodies after you've been through a taper.....so withdrawal is different than someone without that history.

If anyone can answer this.....that would be great. Would crossing over to 4 mg be enough valium for 5 mg. Ambien? I've seen that 5 mg of Valium is equal to 10 mg Ambien but just want to make sure that there would be enough to cover the Ambien withdrawal symptoms.

Although I knew that taking Ambien after being benzo free for several years would lead to trouble.....I was so frustrated with insomnia last summer that I ignored the warnings and began a gradual descent into Ambien hell. I started out twice a week which did not get me into the full addiction but eventually got there this past December. Not only does it flare up some past withdrawal symptoms.....but side effects are profound. It's like being on a benzo again. I am taking 5 mg. Ambien and hoping to cross to Valium.

I'm seeing the Doctor on Monday who helped me through my previous taper and talk to him about the cross to valium which worked for me the last time.  I had many withdrawal symptoms through the taper but it was easier than my attempt at direct taper from Ativian. I realize that this means I'm doing a second taper.....but thankfully at a lower dose. However.....I know going back to a benzo is the last thing anyone wants to do. I feel the Ambien is already acting like one. I have no idea what to expect..... pray to get through this second taper.

I used the Ashton Manual as a guide when getting rid of Ativan and Ambien.....followed her instructions for the cross-over and it worked.  However.....not as much is mentioned about Ambien as it's a Z drug. My belief is that it acts just like a benzo in our bodies after you've been through a taper.....so withdrawal is different than someone without that history.

If anyone can answer this.....that would be great. Would crossing over to 4 mg be enough valium for 5 mg. Ambien? I've seen that 5 mg of Valium is equal to 10 mg Ambien but just want to make sure that there would be enough to cover the Ambien withdrawal symptoms.

Hi birdgirl1-

Yes, 5mgV=10mgA

Here are a couple of links that address these questions.

Wishing you a smooth taper & speedy recovery!

Z-drugs (an explanation of Z-drugs/Sleeping pills)

Ashton Other Drugs

Thank you Bella Amis!

I have been taking 5 mg of Ambien which has flared up past withdrawal symptoms so it's acting as if I'm tapering. This is the scary part......not knowing exactly how to cross to valium because there's no schedule for it as I had for crossing from Ativan 7 years ago.

I got my prescription for Valium yesterday and cut the Ambien in half while taking 3 mg. of Valium. I ended up with no sleep but realize Valium needs to be in my system longer. I haven't found anything that tells me how to do the cross over properly so just guessing. Although Ambien may not be a benzo.....it's wrecked havoc with me due to the past taper. I'm hoping to be rid of it within a week or so and then can stabilize and taper off Valium.