Has Anyone Gone Back To Eating Gluten...

[Ni...]

...And if so, what was your experience?

I went gluten-free in March 2017. I could never really say that being GF improved or disimproved anything but, at that time, half-believing the hype and being willing to try almost anything, thought it would do "no harm" to "ease the burden on my digestive system".

To this day, ten months later, I still don't know if being gluten-free did anything for me, high up or low down ;)

So last week, as I looked again at yet another puny-sized 'loaf' of what looks and tastes and costs like medicalised bread, I had had enough and just jumped. Just like that. No tapering! :)

Here is a snippet from a little article I've read since, along with a link for anyone interested:

"When you start normalizing your eating and including those foods you've eliminated, you're going to have gas or abdominal pain or bloating," she says. "That's a given, and it should be temporary." Even better, expectations about feeling crappy usually exceed the truth, Diette found. "I anticipated my stomach feeling upset that evening or the next morning, but that was not the case," she says.

Link: How to eat gluten again without your body or mind going nuts

All contributions welcome :)

[9b...]

Here is a snippet from a little article I've read since, along with a link for anyone interested:

"When you start normalizing your eating and including those foods you've eliminated, you're going to have gas or abdominal pain or bloating," she says. "That's a given, and it should be temporary." Even better, expectations about feeling crappy usually exceed the truth, Diette found. "I anticipated my stomach feeling upset that evening or the next morning, but that was not the case," she says.

actual testing  for intolerance would be  best... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

we are all different  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and so many differing opinions abound on the internet

based on assumption misinformation and our vastly differing needs.

https://www.amymyersmd.com/2013/07/how-to-test-for-gluten-intolerance-and-celiac-disease/

actual testing  for intolerance would be  best... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

we are all different  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and so many differing opinions abound on the internet

based on assumption misinformation and our vastly differing needs.

https://www.amymyersmd.com/2013/07/how-to-test-for-gluten-intolerance-and-celiac-disease/

You're right, of course, about the testing, Merry. But I would imagine most people on here take whatever dietary advice is given as a kind of 'must' - you know - cut all the usual suspects, such as sugar, dairy and gluten etc etc, without thinking much about testing (or anything else).

I'll keep the board updated with my own 'findings' ;)

Going gf did nothing for me.  So glad when I could eat regular bread again! Watch Dr. Oz program on Jan. 15th about it.

That's what I suspect most will end up saying. But it could be an interesting discussion :)

I have not deliberately eaten gluten in over 12 years, due to a medical reason.  I have Celiac Disease, an autoimmune disorder that can only be controlled by never consuming gluten.

Thanks all, so far...

I understand completely that those who have been diagnosed Coeliac have no other choice about avoiding Gluten. That wasn't quite what I had in mind.

I was thinking more of those who, for other reasons, decided to "go gluten free". I was one of those - and there seem to be plenty - who for other dietary reasons or on the basis of popular advice decide to abandon real bread.

I went back on it a little over a week ago. (16.5 months off).

There were no "stomachy" reactions to it and no indigestion or any obvious gut issues or any of that. But I did notice a big change in my dream state: hard, busy, mechanical-style, hard-work dreaming and, possibly, a flu-like 'inflammatory' response too. Though both of those seem to be easing off now (so maybe it was a flu-thingy).

Would love to hear from others who have experience in this area ;)

When I was fairly early in recovery, out of desperation I tried a 'no white' diet... bread, sugar, pasta, dairy products.  I did this for about a month before I gave it up, but during that time I felt noticeably better. 

Probably not much help as to your question specifically about wheat.