The Benzo Fall

[va...]

Well, I can only assume what experience you report is accurate, but I guess I will never understand this. 

First of all, based on what you just shared, it seems pretty clear your problem is with doctors, not benzos.

"I had to learn the hard way how badly the medical community is misleading patients"

And even if you were "mislead" by a trusted doc, didn't the K do what it was supposed to do initially?  Why would you take a med even for a few weeks, let alone years, if it didn't have therapeutic value?

Well, I can only assume what experience you report is accurate, but I guess I will never understand this. 

First of all, based on what you just shared, it seems pretty clear your problem is with doctors, not benzos.

"I had to learn the hard way how badly the medical community is misleading patients"

And even if you were "mislead" by a trusted doc, didn't the K do what it was supposed to do initially?  Why would you take a med even for a few weeks, let alone years, if it didn't have therapeutic value?

Builder,

I find your post very mean spirited and not in the character of the support and encouragement that is the mission and mandate of BB. At this point it also makes no sense since the referring post was removed.

By now, as long as you have been on the forum, you should be aware that people are indeed mislead and misinformed by their medical care providers.  Many people, myself included, put trust in those who we felt had our best interests at heart. This is not the fault of the patient by any means. 

How many people hear over and over that the drug they are taking is benign, has no withdrawal and yes, you can take it long term without consequences? This is the reality many of us face or have faced. To denigrate someone for speaking about this experience is unfair and unkind.

pianogirl

Builder,

I find your post very mean spirited and not in the character of the support and encouragement that is the mission and mandate of BB. At this point it also makes no sense since the referring post was removed.

By now, as long as you have been on the forum, you should be aware that people are indeed mislead and misinformed by their medical care providers.  Many people, myself included, put trust in those who we felt had our best interests at heart. This is not the fault of the patient by any means. 

How many people hear over and over that the drug they are taking is benign, has no withdrawal and yes, you can take it long term without consequences? This is the reality many of us face or have faced. To denigrate someone for speaking about this experience is unfair and unkind.

pianogirl

A rough summary (since most of the preceeding has been deleted by the OP):

His original said something to the effect that benzos should be banned.

I asked what about his experience led to that conclusion.

He replied he had suffered from bad advice from med professionals

So I pointed out it seemed to me his problem resulted from the med community, NOT from benzodiazepines specially.

I was NOT attacking him personally. And there was nothing "mean spirited" about it.

My hang-up is this:

People took benzos for years, then say they should be banned. If they never got therapeutic relief from their benzo, why would they take them for so many months or years.  And my conclusion is...they actually  took them because they really work!

And if they actually took them just because a doc told them to, then that's not a benzo problem.

I was struck with a severe, sudden onset of GAD.  It was actually disabling...unable to work, was housebound, so miserable I was actually contemplating suicide.

Then after about 10 days, I took my first 5mg of diazepam.  It was liqht had been restored to the universe.  I was able to leave the house, go to my job sites, socialize, function.  I felt like diazepam was the most wonderful thing in the world. 

Yeah, benzos are not perfect drugs...none are.  But I sure am glad they are available if folks need them!

Thanks guys! My dog’s name is Stewy. He is the mercurial presence of reason through this bizarre experience.

Here’s to healing🙂

It seems there's a bit of a Stewy Fan Club here! We need the "presence of reason" when it flies out the window on rough days.

I'm a little late to the game, so I'm wondering....How many of these great drawings have you done so far? It's wonderful that your talent and creativity continue to flow so well while battling the benzo beast. I remember reading of others around here who found that they couldn't do their chosen type of art, whether it was drawing, painting or making music. Clearly, they were frustrated and, perhaps, scared that their creativity was gone for good.

He was just sharing his artwork. I, for one, really appreciate his talent.

As do I.  I have been following his posts for some time  now.

Stewy came with the name. He was a rescue from Houston, TX.

I was going to rename him, but now it just fits :)

Thanks for all the kind words.

-K

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, I dunno .....

Could it be that he received initial short term therapeutic benefit, but after the short term window his brain made adaptive changes in various neurotransmitter and associated receptors and at that point he simply had to continue to take the medication just to tread water?

Just a guess here but I think I'm on to something.