how far along in your taper you were hit with insomnia?

[Al...]

Im currently tapering clonazepam 0.25 mg using liquid suspension after going into tolerance wd in august.

Developed insomnia in tolerance wd and seems like its getting worse the lower I go in my taper,I am currently down to 0.1825 (27% of my original dose 0.25mg).Was just wondering how far along in your taper you were hit with insomnia?

I am also on amitriptilyine 70mg daily for migraines,seems like I became tolerant to sedative properties of amitriptyline after being on it for years.Before going into tolerance wd in august I have been sleeping like a baby for 8 years on amitriptyline+ clonazepam and never had a bad nights sleep ! My doc also gave me Mirtazapine for insomnia to take it as needed for insomnia.Has anyone taken mirtazapine on when needed basis rather than every day?Can i get addicted to it if i take it few times a week?

[d1...]

When I tapered Valium I started getting noticeable insomnia at 50% of my original dose (i.e. after tapering from 10mg to 5mg). The insomnia got worse as I tapered lower. My observation was # hours of sleep was approximately equal to # of mg of Valium. I was averaging 2 hours of sleep per night by the time I got to 2mg. My solution was to slow down my taper, way way slow. The last 2mg I went 2, 1.9, 1.8, etc, cutting by just .1 mg per week all the way down to 0. This gave time for healing to happen. The insomnia gradually resolved itself - it started improving around 1mg and I was on the mend by the time I got to 0. Now (a long time later and recovered) I am back to a pleasant and restful and *natural* 8 or 9 hours per night. Which seemed like an impossible dream back when I was on benzos.

I took Trazodone during my taper to help with insomnia (similar to Mirtazapine). It didn't really help much. Maybe a little. In general I found nothing that helped much. Traz and Mirt are not addictive; you should be able to just stop. However mostly you just need to power your way through and learn to function with little sleep, rather than looking to other drugs. Eventually you will heal. Once you do you are much better off with natural (no drugs!) sleep.

Best wishes,

CP

Hi Alicia77,  Looks like you were on the same poisons as I was ( Clonzapam for 7 years and Amitriptyline for  7 years)... I have been off Clonzapam for 7 months and took my last piece of Amitriptyline last night. Did slow tapers on both.  I too have horrible insomnia.  I don't know what is causing what?  I feel now like this is a double whamy.  I had a horrible sleep last night (Little or no sleep), but other nights I have had some sleep.  If you can call it that,.....  I never get sleepy, I feel wide awake all the time.  I rarely yawn.  Do you feel this way? 

Thanks to everyone for all support :smitten:

Im currently tapering clonazepam 0.25 mg using liquid suspension after going into tolerance wd in august.

Developed insomnia in tolerance wd and seems like its getting worse the lower I go in my taper,I am currently down to 0.1825 (27% of my original dose 0.25mg).Was just wondering how far along in your taper you were hit with insomnia?

I am also on amitriptilyine 70mg daily for migraines,seems like I became tolerant to sedative properties of amitriptyline after being on it for years.Before going into tolerance wd in august I have been sleeping like a baby for 8 years on amitriptyline+ clonazepam and never had a bad nights sleep ! My doc also gave me Mirtazapine for insomnia to take it as needed for insomnia.Has anyone taken mirtazapine on when needed basis rather than every day?Can i get addicted to it if i take it few times a week?

Hi,

Unfortunately any drug can have some withdrawal.  I know other Buddies on here that have/had Mirtrazapine (aka Remeron) withdrawal.  There is nothing safe in the Rx department and medical science does not know what effects theses drugs actually have on the brain.  It is best guess "science." Your best bet is to get off all drugs completely and let your brain figure out how to sleep again on it's own.  You were lucky in a sense that you were able to stay on Benzos for so long without reaching tolerance.  Now that you hit tolerance, the only thing you could have done was keep increasing the dose to get the same effect from the drug.  That is a dead-end no win option.

I tried pretty much every non-benzo Rx drug and natural supplement for sleep. None of them worked or worked for me for more than a day or two. The problem with taking anything for sleep is that you mentally and physically convince yourself you need some type of pill or drink in order to sleep.  You don't.  Insomnia does suck and it was my worst symptom and it is not easy to get through life on little or no sleep, but you can do it.  I did it as well as many others on this site.  It gets better but takes lots of time for some to start sleeping on their own after they are drug free.

It is easy to reach for a "quick fix" with drugs, and that is the main thing that doctors in the US prescribe whenever there is an issue.  If you can, completely avoid all drugs for sleep and you will be that much closer to healing and getting your life back.

Hi,

Unfortunately any drug can have some withdrawal.  I know other Buddies on here that have/had Mirtrazapine (aka Remeron) withdrawal.  There is nothing safe in the Rx department and medical science does not know what effects theses drugs actually have on the brain.  It is best guess "science." Your best bet is to get off all drugs completely and let your brain figure out how to sleep again on it's own.  You were lucky in a sense that you were able to stay on Benzos for so long without reaching tolerance.  Now that you hit tolerance, the only thing you could have done was keep increasing the dose to get the same effect from the drug.  That is a dead-end no win option.

I tried pretty much every non-benzo Rx drug and natural supplement for sleep. None of them worked or worked for me for more than a day or two. The problem with taking anything for sleep is that you mentally and physically convince yourself you need some type of pill or drink in order to sleep.  You don't.  Insomnia does suck and it was my worst symptom and it is not easy to get through life on little or no sleep, but you can do it.  I did it as well as many others on this site.  It gets better but takes lots of time for some to start sleeping on their own after they are drug free.

It is easy to reach for a "quick fix" with drugs, and that is the main thing that doctors in the US prescribe whenever there is an issue.  If you can, completely avoid all drugs for sleep and you will be that much closer to healing and getting your life back.

When I tapered Valium I started getting noticeable insomnia at 50% of my original dose (i.e. after tapering from 10mg to 5mg). The insomnia got worse as I tapered lower. My observation was # hours of sleep was approximately equal to # of mg of Valium. I was averaging 2 hours of sleep per night by the time I got to 2mg. My solution was to slow down my taper, way way slow. The last 2mg I went 2, 1.9, 1.8, etc, cutting by just .1 mg per week all the way down to 0. This gave time for healing to happen. The insomnia gradually resolved itself - it started improving around 1mg and I was on the mend by the time I got to 0. Now (a long time later and recovered) I am back to a pleasant and restful and *natural* 8 or 9 hours per night. Which seemed like an impossible dream back when I was on benzos.

I took Trazodone during my taper to help with insomnia (similar to Mirtazapine). It didn't really help much. Maybe a little. In general I found nothing that helped much. Traz and Mirt are not addictive; you should be able to just stop. However mostly you just need to power your way through and learn to function with little sleep, rather than looking to other drugs. Eventually you will heal. Once you do you are much better off with natural (no drugs!) sleep.

Best wishes,

CP

Thank you guys for your encouraging posts and glad you are much better now!

Hi Alicia77,  Looks like you were on the same poisons as I was ( Clonzapam for 7 years and Amitriptyline for  7 years)... I have been off Clonzapam for 7 months and took my last piece of Amitriptyline last night. Did slow tapers on both.  I too have horrible insomnia.  I don't know what is causing what?  I feel now like this is a double whamy.  I had a horrible sleep last night (Little or no sleep), but other nights I have had some sleep.  If you can call it that,.....  I never get sleepy, I feel wide awake all the time.  I rarely yawn.  Do you feel this way? 

Hi Runnergirl,

Yes, it is very normal in withdrawal to never feel tired and feel "wired" all of the time.  I would constantly marvel at how I could go for days without sleep and then feel like I drank 15 cups of coffee!  It could be cortisol surges?  But I am certain most of it is from glutamate being too dominant in your brain right now and not having enough Gabba.  But I know for sure it is WD!  I never yawned much either.  It will go away with time.  I get tired and yawn all the time now.  I fell asleep on the couch last night watching the evening news at 6:15 pm!  There is hope.  It will get better! 

Hi TheEwAy2,

Again,  I started to cry when I read your post, especially today, after a night with no sleep.  Everything is so "sentimental" when you feel awful the next day after no sleep. 

You know so much about how all of this works in our brain....  I just read something about too much glutamate in our  brains and not enough GABA.    I am so jealous,  You fell asleep watching the evening news!! :tickedoff: 

I am going to run something by you:  what do you think of Homeopathic or Naturpathic doctors.  Do you think they could be of any help to me right now, for sleep, that is.  Do you know of anyone who went to one? 

Hi Runnergirl,

Congrats on finishing your tapers!

Yeeees, I feel the same,wide awake,never sleepy,rarely yawn and even if I do yawn sleep is not guaranteed !last night I was lying wide awake ,took melatonin at 1 am -nothing,mirtazapine at 3 am and managed to get few hours of broken sleep and feeling awful all day! all other wd symptoms intensified .insomnia was never my issue before benzos.

Hi TheEwAy2,

Again,  I started to cry when I read your post, especially today, after a night with no sleep.  Everything is so "sentimental" when you feel awful the next day after no sleep. 

You know so much about how all of this works in our brain....  I just read something about too much glutamate in our  brains and not enough GABA.    I am so jealous,  You fell asleep watching the evening news!! :tickedoff: 

I am going to run something by you:  what do you think of Homeopathic or Naturpathic doctors.  Do you think they could be of any help to me right now, for sleep, that is.  Do you know of anyone who went to one?

Hi Runnergirl,

Sorry this is such an emotional journey! Yes, when I get an off night, I am much more emotional the next day as there is always that small voice in the back of my mind that says, "what if you get another off night tonight?"  Thank God, my off nights are still 3-4 hours of broken sleep and they don't happen more than 3 - 4 times per month.  Sorry, wasn't trying to make you jealous about falling asleep watching the news, but just letting you and anyone else that reads this post know that there is hope and it will get better.  I keep saying that over and over cause it's true! :) 

I saw a Naturopathic doctor in Steven's Point, WI.  He was very good, but very expensive and insurance would not cover it, so I could not keep going.  Not sure how much they will know about Benzo WD?  Sometimes some of the supplements they want you to take can mess with your sleep?  Everyone is different so maybe something a ND would have would work?  It could be worth a visit if it fits your budget?  You could try something like Seriphos or anything that contains Phosphorlated Serine/ethanolamine.  It is supposed to help with cortisol/adrenal surges, which are common during WD and others say it helps them sleep. It is an OTC supplement, so no doctor needed to get it.  It didn't work for me, but could for you?  Also, I read where Ginko Biloba could help too.  I took it from time to time and it seemed to help me once in awhile.  https://www.livestrong.com/article/500221-the-effects-of-ginkgo-on-sleep/ 

I also went to an acupuncturist and that didn't help either.  Not much helped me early on in withdrawal.  You said you took the last of your Amitriptyline last night?  That could cause it's own issues and may affect your sleep, but being drug free is best and now that you are not taking any Rx drugs, you will most certainly begin to heal.  Each passing day will bring you closer to being "you" again.  I am sorry this is so hard, but the only way out is through the recovery process.  It's not easy, but you can do it! 

Hi TheEwAy2,

Runnergirl,what dosages of clonaz and amitript were you taking?How long was your clonazepam taper and what symptoms did you have?did you develop insomnia while tapering clonazepam?

I'm also sentimental and teary after a bout of insomnia.

Hi Alicia - I was taking 25 mg. of Amitriptyline for 8 years for sleep issues, which I still think were related to menopause, but My Doctor "poo-pooed" the notion.  Then he started me on 25 mg. of Clonzapam a year later, so 7 years on Clonzapam. 

I have never had sleep issues like this in my life. 

My Clonzapam taper was first.  Started that in Feb. 2017 and ended in around mid July. 

My Amitriptypline taper was around July.....and finished last night!!!  Haleluja!! :smitten:

I developed the horrible insomnia with the Clonzapam withdrawal.  I also have Tinnitis that developed during the Clonzapam withdrawal, and still have it.  Other than that, I am ok.

ThEwAy is spot on!!  On his posts!!! 

Hi ThEwAy:    Hey,  how about Turmeric?????  I am going to look into the Ginko Biloba... 

I get desperate and am looking for every NATURAL solution....but you are so right......it is just going to take time..  Day by Day, Hour by Hour, Step by Step..  This really stinks!!! 

Have a good night everyone :thumbsup:

Hi Alicia - I was taking 25 mg. of Amitriptyline for 8 years for sleep issues, which I still think were related to menopause, but My Doctor "poo-pooed" the notion.  Then he started me on 25 mg. of Clonzapam a year later, so 7 years on Clonzapam. 

I have never had sleep issues like this in my life. 

My Clonzapam taper was first.  Started that in Feb. 2017 and ended in around mid July. 

My Amitriptypline taper was around July.....and finished last night!!!  Haleluja!! :smitten:

I developed the horrible insomnia with the Clonzapam withdrawal.  I also have Tinnitis that developed during the Clonzapam withdrawal, and still have it.  Other than that, I am ok.

ThEwAy is spot on!!  On his posts!!! 

Hi ThEwAy:    Hey,  how about Turmeric?????  I am going to look into the Ginko Biloba... 

I get desperate and am looking for every NATURAL solution....but you are so right......it is just going to take time..  Day by Day, Hour by Hour, Step by Step..  This really stinks!!! 

Have a good night everyone :thumbsup:

Hi Runnergirl,

Yes, tumeric is good for overall health.  I don't know if it helps with sleep or not?  However, some things are paradoxical in that they do the opposite of what they are supposed to do.  My mom says caffeine makes her sleepy.  Doesn't work for me! :)  There are some good products from Ancient nutrition that contain turmeric--Bone broth protein.  Link below.  You can get it from any online vitamin shop too, such as Swanson Vitamins, etc.  https://store.draxe.com/collections/proteins/products/organic-bone-broth-protein-turmeric-spice  I know some of this is kind of expensive, but I usually look at it as "what price is our health worth" or in this case, your sleep?  Another good site for well researched supplements (Jon Barron approved -alternative health guru) is baseline nutritionals.  www.baselinenutritionals.com or Dr. Schulze.  www.herdoc.com.  If our bodies are temporarily 'damaged' from Rx drugs, then giving them the nutrition they need to heal makes sense.  And sometimes these supplements may take awhile to work, so if you try them for a few days and don't notice anything, don't give up as long as they don't affect your WD.  Good luck.  You WILL get there! :thumbsup:

Hi all,

I am consulting with a Homeopath right now for Mistletoe therapy, since I had breast cancer earlier this year. He wants me to take an adrenal supplement, because his thinking is my adrenals are over-taxed. He had me on L-Tryptophan and Melatonin, plus a homeopathic for fear/anxiety. All of those things have been mildly helpful. I have decided to hold off on the adrenal supplement, as I don't want to mess with my own body's efforts to heal itself. I am also getting acupuncture, which is also mildly helpful, but it's been good to see a doctor on such a regular basis to track and encourage me. A therapist could also do the same.

There is no question that there are very few doctors out there that are well-informed about benzo withdrawal. We just need to be our own advocates, and research on our own. I find Dr. Axe to be a wonderful resource. i have learned so much from him about proper diet and healthful living. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts! I have found a couple of doctors online who will communicate via Skype, and treat you using their own line of supplements. It is very tempting to find someone who can promise quick results, but I think we all have to first accept that the damage has been done, and healing just takes time. If you do decide to follow up on one of these businesses, ask lots of questions and get references. One doctor advertising online wanted a $2000 fee upfront, and I would have had to wait 1 month for the 45 minute telephone appointment. Really??

Tigereye

Hi Everyone,

Well, since tapering off of Amitriptyline (last Tuesday) my sleep has been horrible.  It is so hard to do anything without some sleep.  I think the last day I felt good was last Friday.  I know everyone says it just takes time to heal....I just find it hard to believe anything right now.  You get so desperate, trying to find any supplement that might try and help.  But I really have found nothing to help me sleep. 

it is so hard to get through the day, let alone  run and work out.  I feel like when I am outside for a walk or jog, someone might find me collapsed in the snow. :tickedoff:  I have also had night sweats since being off Amitriptyline and some leg jerks.  I feel like an Alien is inside me, I don't feel like myself. I am always so outgoing, but now I don't have the strength to do much...

My husband feels so bad for me,,,,,I don't know where I would be without him. 

Well, my last resort, has anyone had luck with L-Tryptophan......Tigereye - has it helped you?  I am so afraid to take anything and I read that a few years back people were dying from L-Tryptophan,....something to do where it was made and what was in it:  China???  Where would be the safest place to purchase this.

ThEwAy2 - Hi!!!  I am really suffering....Thanks for your Encouraging Posts again.  I am going to look up the  sites that you mentioned.  Is there anybody that knows for sure that this horrible insomnia will pass.

Hi Everyone,

Well, since tapering off of Amitriptyline (last Tuesday) my sleep has been horrible.  It is so hard to do anything without some sleep.  I think the last day I felt good was last Friday.  I know everyone says it just takes time to heal....I just find it hard to believe anything right now.  You get so desperate, trying to find any supplement that might try and help.  But I really have found nothing to help me sleep. 

it is so hard to get through the day, let alone  run and work out.  I feel like when I am outside for a walk or jog, someone might find me collapsed in the snow. :tickedoff:  I have also had night sweats since being off Amitriptyline and some leg jerks.  I feel like an Alien is inside me, I don't feel like myself. I am always so outgoing, but now I don't have the strength to do much...

Well, my last resort, has anyone had luck with L-Tryptophan......Tigereye - has it helped you?  I am so afraid to take anything and I read that a few years back people were dying from L-Tryptophan,....something to do where it was made and what was in it:  China???  Where would be the safest place to purchase this.

ThEwAy2 - Hi!!!  I am really suffering....Thanks for your Encouraging Posts again.  I am going to look up the  sites that you mentioned.  Is there anybody that knows for sure that this horrible insomnia will pass.

Runnergirl,

Yes, the horrible insomnia will pass.  Just after jumping from a taper or cold turkey you enter the "acute" withdrawal stage marked by WD symptoms being at their worst for typically 30 days for most people. During "acute" WD sleep evades most people and your symptoms are off the charts. It settles down after that.  After I jumped from Benzos, I went 5 nights in a row with zero sleep.  Then it slowly started getting better.  I would get 20 minutes here and there but lots of zero nights.  I am not saying this to scare you, but to reassure you, I had about 40 zero nights the first 3 months and 65 total zero nights over 8 months and lots of 3 and sometimes 4 nights in a row with zero sleep.  I know what that is like.  There is no denying that sleep deprivation is a form of torture.  And I know the desperation you feel for wanting to try anything to sleep with.  The weird thing that happens is the harder we try or want to sleep, the more likely it will evade us.  Your brain is temporarily stuck in fight or flight mode 24-7.  It thinks there is a tiger around every corner and it responds accordingly.  No sleep, you don't even get tired or yawn.  Gabba doesn't work and Glutamate rules the day and night!  Early on in my withdrawal I took a bunch of non-benzo drugs for a day or two, as that is all they usually worked for, then they stopped working.  That was actually a blessing in disguise as I am glad I got rid of all Rx drugs.  I completely understand your temptation and desire.  But it WILL pass.

Some non Rx things you can try:  L-Tryptophan.  Didn't really work for me, but give it a shot.  You can also try 5-HTP, L-Theanine, Chamomile tea, Ornithine, Melatonin (be careful with this as it is a hormone), GHB or Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid (You need a prescription for this, but it's not a drug, it naturally occurs in meat and beer, but the FDA pulled it off the market in the 90s and conveniently made it a prescription drug), Essential Oils such a Vetiver.  Be careful with St. John's wort although it is actually the best selling anxiety supplement in Germany!  Calcium and Magnesium are also supposed to help with sleep.  Valerian root and Passion flower work for some.  I would not waste your time or money on Gabba, as it cannot pass the blood/brain barrier and actually do anything in your brain, like fixing or adding to your damaged Gabba receptors.  Seriphos (Phosphorylated Serine) has good reviews and many claim it helps them sleep well.

However, not much short of an Rx drug may work on your brain given its current condition?  Sorry to be a debbie downer, but that's the reality of Benzo/drug WD.  But it WILL pass.  Even the worst cases on this site got better.  Maybe not to 100%, but they got well enough to live a normal life given enough time.  I know you don't want to hear that right now, but I know for a FACT that if you stay off all Rx drugs, the horrible insomnia will pass.  I am sorry that you are suffering through this.  Crazy doctors need to see how WD affects real people and then maybe they would think twice before handing out quick fix pills? 

Hi Everyone,

Runnergirl,

I’m sorry to say that early on when I jumped from Atavan, I also began to have zero sleep nights. I was desperate for sleep, no question. I couldn’t imagine how I was going to live without sleep. There were, thankfully, a few nights when sleep would come, but they were very few. The anxiety I felt was

also off the charts! I awakened my husband one morning, after a sleepless night, and having a huge panic attack, saying I thought I needed to go to the hospital! I thought I was having a nervous breakdown! ( And I was, I guess). Hubby, thankfully, counseled me not to go to the emergency room,

because he knew they would want to medicate me with more drugs! Instead I got an appt that day

with my therapist, though it had been at least 2 months since I had seen her. ( I know that was

God working!) She explained that I wasn’t crazy, but that my CNS was in hyperarousal. She told me to

use mindfulness to stay present, and realize I was safe in the present moment. i also then got a massage, which helped relieve stress. I actually slept that night. Unfortunately, there were many more nights in a row when I didn’t sleep. I learned to rest in the dark, and meditate. I would have occasional anxiety attacks, and I used music and meditation tapes to help me calm down. It was a very difficult time, no question! I didn’t fully get the whole scenario, so I continued to have a lot of fear. I started accupuncture treatments 3 X per week, and that seemed to help at first. I continue to go, and overall I think it is helpful on a few levels. But it hasn’t brought me restorative sleep. He encourages me each time I go that I will get better. He also treats my stomach, which has helped with restoring my hunger impulses. I have lost so much weight!

Your question about L- Tryptophan is good. Yes, a few years ago, there was some concern about the supplement, but if you buy an American source, and perhaps GMO, etc. it is safe. My homeopath told me to take 500 mg, 3 times during the day and at bedtime! I did that a for a few days, and it was good for a few nights, but not consecutive. He also said to take 1 mg Melatonin with the bedtime dose.

Over time, my sleep has improved ( not nearly enough to please me!). The intense anxiety has also stared to recede.

It’s been close to 8 weeks since I jumped from the Atavan. I’ve done a variety of things to help myself. The truth is that it’s been one of the most challenging things I’ve ever gone through. I’ve had

to just walk through it each day. Try to stay in the present moment, feel your feelings, rest when you need to, exercise, journal, pray. Seek to be with others, as there is no question that being with people

helps us to not focus so much on ourselves.

This is your life for now. Acceptance is huge. Be a survivor! Know that we love and care for you. This community can be a lifeline!

Blessings and love,

Tigereye

I am having awful insomnia and im not even half way through my taper(currently down by 30% of my original dose of 0.25mg clonazepam).This is very demoralizing since I've still long way to go.In fact ,I started having zero nights during tolerance w/d.I think i must have ruined my brain really badly by being on this horrible drug for years as I ve never had insomnia before benzo.I am also on amitriptyline 70mg which doesn't seem to help much.I take Mirtazapine occasionally to get few hours of sleep so I can at least function next day.I suffer from migraines and lack of sleep =guaranteed migraine next day+anxiety,palpitations etc.Does anyone know if mirtazapine ok to take occasionally since its not working on same receptors?Does it hinder recovery?

thanks everyone!

I am having awful insomnia and im not even half way through my taper(currently down by 30% of my original dose of 0.25mg clonazepam).This is very demoralizing since I've still long way to go.In fact ,I started having zero nights during tolerance w/d.I think i must have ruined my brain really badly by being on this horrible drug for years as I ve never had insomnia before benzo.I am also on amitriptyline 70mg which doesn't seem to help much.I take Mirtazapine occasionally to get few hours of sleep so I can at least function next day.I suffer from migraines and lack of sleep =guaranteed migraine next day+anxiety,palpitations etc.Does anyone know if mirtazapine ok to take occasionally since its not working on same receptors?Does it hinder recovery?

thanks everyone!

HI Alicia77,

I sound like a broken record, but no drug is ever "safe" to take for any purpose in my opinion.  They all have side effects.  Mirtazapine has its own set of side effects and possible WD.  Doctors don't know how almost all of these drugs affect the brain.  Even on TV the ads say that it is believed that (X drug) works by doing this or that!  They don't even know, yet they are FDA approved.  I took mirtazapine along with Benzos for sleep and they both stopped working.  Your best bet is to get completely off all drugs and let your body heal.  It can't do that when you keep artificially knocking yourself out to sleep.  Sleep deprivation is the worst, but it won't last forever.  It is temporary.  You will get better and heal if you stay off all drugs.  Amitriptyline also has its own side effects and WD.  Again, others that went completely drug free eventually healed and got their life back.  You will too, but you need to ditch the drugs.  Also, you should consult a doctor, but my advice would be to consider jumping from your small dose of clonazepam if you are already in major WD?  It if isn't helping, why keep putting it in your body?  The sooner all drugs are out of your body, the sooner it will begin to heal.  You can do this.

thanks everyone!

HI Alicia77,

I sound like a broken record, but no drug is ever "safe" to take for any purpose in my opinion.  They all have side effects.  Mirtazapine has its own set of side effects and possible WD.  Doctors don't know how almost all of these drugs affect the brain.  Even on TV the ads say that it is believed that (X drug) works by doing this or that!  They don't even know, yet they are FDA approved.  I took mirtazapine along with Benzos for sleep and they both stopped working.  Your best bet is to get completely off all drugs and let your body heal.  It can't do that when you keep artificially knocking yourself out to sleep.  Sleep deprivation is the worst, but it won't last forever.  It is temporary.  You will get better and heal if you stay off all drugs.  Amitriptyline also has its own side effects and WD.  Again, others that went completely drug free eventually healed and got their life back.  You will too, but you need to ditch the drugs.  Also, you should consult a doctor, but my advice would be to consider jumping from your small dose of clonazepam if you are already in major WD?  It if isn't helping, why keep putting it in your body?  The sooner all drugs are out of your body, the sooner it will begin to heal.  You can do this.

It is a small dose but I have been taking it for 8 years,so I am tapering down since I dont want to go into acute w/d.You are right that drugs are never the answer! Im thinking to come off clonazepam first and then deal with amitriptyline. I so regret ever getting into this chemical mess !((((

Alicia77,

Most people go into acute WD whether they taper or jump cold turkey.  Since you already hit tolerance in August, not sure that you won't go into acute WD after you finish your taper, but I suspect that you might be in acute WD already since you have terrible insomnia? As you probably know, after you hit tolerance, it means the drug is basically doing nothing for you at the current dose other than messing up all of the Gabba receptors throughout your body.  You have a lot more Gabba receptors in your GI tract than anywhere else.  Sleep is a very big deal, but I would be surprised if you are not having other symptoms too?  Acute WD is different for everyone.  I had horrible anxiety, claustrophobia and depression along with a laundry list of other symptoms. People usually taper before they reach tolerance.  Again, most doctors do not understand any of this or even recognize it exists.  You may also be experiencing inter dose WD?  Not sure.  I think staying on a Benzo to "avoid" a potentially more severe WD after you already reached tolerance 5 months ago is playing with fire!  Just my opinion.  And it's also my opinion (not medical advice) that all Rx drugs slow recovery as they all do something to your body's blood/brain chemistry.  Sorry you are in this mess. But you will get through this after you get off all of the Rx drugs.  God's speed!

Alicia77,

Most people go into acute WD whether they taper or jump cold turkey.  Since you already hit tolerance in August, not sure that you won't go into acute WD after you finish your taper, but I suspect that you might be in acute WD already since you have terrible insomnia? As you probably know, after you hit tolerance, it means the drug is basically doing nothing for you at the current dose other than messing up all of the Gabba receptors throughout your body.  You have a lot more Gabba receptors in your GI tract than anywhere else.  Sleep is a very big deal, but I would be surprised if you are not having other symptoms too?  Acute WD is different for everyone.  I had horrible anxiety, claustrophobia and depression along with a laundry list of other symptoms. People usually taper before they reach tolerance.  Again, most doctors do not understand any of this or even recognize it exists.  You may also be experiencing inter dose WD?  Not sure.  I think staying on a Benzo to "avoid" a potentially more severe WD after you already reached tolerance 5 months ago is playing with fire!  Just my opinion.  And it's also my opinion (not medical advice) that all Rx drugs slow recovery as they all do something to your body's blood/brain chemistry.  Sorry you are in this mess. But you will get through this after you get off all of the Rx drugs.  God's speed!

In August,out of the blue I developed a host of symptoms : extreme fatigue,chills,GI issues,weakness in legs (to the point it was painful to stand or walk),head and ear pressure.I had blood tests/MRI done to investigate this,but nothing abnormal was found.Fatigue,weakness,chills subsided after 2-3 weeks or so,but extreme head pressure lingered for 2 months.After 2 months head pressure started to subside I was hit with insomnia and muscle jerks when I would try to fall asleep.I developed a pattern where I would sleep every other night only for a week ,then sleep well for another week,then have sleep difficulties again.To cut it short,after doing a bit of research I came across tolerance .At present my main issues are insomnia,GI issues,occasional head pressure and anxiety.Doctors are not much of a help as you know.Those that I have seen do not believe there is such a thing as tolerance w/d or that in fact Rx drugs can make you ill! So I decided to taper rather than c/t as I have tried it in the past (before tolerance w/d) and it was pure hell!

Hi Alicia,  I too....was on Clonzapam for 7 years ( my Doctor put me on to help me sleep),  then 1 year later put me on Amitriptyline too....I wish I knew back then what I know now.....I think a lot of my sleep issues were hormonal, but Doctors just want to put you on Anti-Depressents instead of checking your hormones.  That's a whole other issue:  Hormone Therapy :tickedoff:

I have been off Clonzapam for about 7 months now....and I just got done tapering off Amitriptyline ( 1 week now) and I'll tell you....I Have Never Felt Like This In My Whole Life!!......Horrible Insomnia, I feel like I have an Alien in my body..... I never took a pill in my life, until my doctor put me on these POISONS!! 

Like ThEwAy2 says and I agree:  Do not put any Rx in your body.....Nothing, Nada.....I hate pills....I told my doctor I don't want to put any pill in my  body and he told me not to worry, they are like a vitamin.....I hate him now for doing this to me.  He knows how healthy  I am, being a Runner (for 30 years) and always being healthy. I like to be in control of my own body...and now, I feel like I am not.  But darn it,  Yes I am....this will pass......Sorry to vent.....   

Day by day, that is all we can do and keep a positive attitude :thumbsup:

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CARING.  I am not the type of person to go on the computer to get help, but it seems this is the only way to get help and support.  Does anyone know who started this web site?  They are a God send.....

TheEwAy2 -  You are like a walking Encylopedia!!!  How do you know so much about all of this?  I know you were not on the Poison as long as me.......but you are so caring and helpful.  YOU should be paid for this :).

I took a Natrol Melatonin 10 mg. and it had 5-HTP in it.... I went to bed at 9:30 and got up at about 5:00 a.m.  Wow.....but it still does not feel like sleep.....I feel ok today, but I feel off.....stupid Withdrawal....  My husband gave me a massage last night and I think that helped too.  I read Massage is good....helps increase Seratonin.......  I don't want to rely on taking Melatonin every night and I won't......you can go crazy reading everything that might help or might not......  I did get out for a run today.....very lethargic.....I have been a runner for 30 years....and I feel like death out there......my husband and I are both runners...He likes reading your posts....He wanted me to ask you if you know of anyone who has had a class action lawsuit against the pharmaceutical companies  or their doctor, for putting us on these Poisons for many years.  I feel like going on a crusade... contacting News Stations even T.V.  The Doctors, Dr. Oz, etc.....You hear so much on the news and T.V. about Opiods,,,,,but these drugs (benzo's and anti-depressants) are just as bad too.  They need to know what withdrawal is like and what it does to you....My doctor should have not had me on these for 7 years...I AM SO MAD....sorry,,,,,I had to vent and I know you Understand....

Until next post, ......oh, there are herd of deer in our yard....so pretty.... :smitten:

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CARING.  I am not the type of person to go on the computer to get help, but it seems this is the only way to get help and support.  Does anyone know who started this web site?  They are a God send.....

TheEwAy2 -  You are like a walking Encylopedia!!!  How do you know so much about all of this?  I know you were not on the Poison as long as me.......but you are so caring and helpful.  YOU should be paid for this :).

I took a Natrol Melatonin 10 mg. and it had 5-HTP in it.... I went to bed at 9:30 and got up at about 5:00 a.m.  Wow.....but it still does not feel like sleep.....I feel ok today, but I feel off.....stupid Withdrawal....  My husband gave me a massage last night and I think that helped too.  I read Massage is good....helps increase Seratonin.......  I don't want to rely on taking Melatonin every night and I won't......you can go crazy reading everything that might help or might not......  I did get out for a run today.....very lethargic.....I have been a runner for 30 years....and I feel like death out there......my husband and I are both runners...He likes reading your posts....He wanted me to ask you if you know of anyone who has had a class action lawsuit against the pharmaceutical companies  or their doctor, for putting us on these Poisons for many years.  I feel like going on a crusade... contacting News Stations even T.V.  The Doctors, Dr. Oz, etc.....You hear so much on the news and T.V. about Opiods,,,,,but these drugs (benzo's and anti-depressants) are just as bad too.  They need to know what withdrawal is like and what it does to you....My doctor should have not had me on these for 7 years...I AM SO MAD....sorry,,,,,I had to vent and I know you Understand....

Until next post, ......oh, there are herd of deer in our yard....so pretty.... :smitten:

Good Morning RG,

I am 8 weeks out from my jump (Atavan), and my sleep has been getting slightly more regular recently. I was on an every other night pattern last few weeks, and felt awful on the off days. So yesterday, I felt wonderful all day. Ate like a horse (I've really struggled with no appetite, stress stomach, etc.). Last night I was feeling like I had beat this thing and I would really sleep. Wrong!

Got 2-3 broken hours, max. Awakened with anxiety, feel depleted. So frustrating. Oh well, time to start the day and count my blessings-it could be a whole lot worse.

My husband has also been reading some of the posts-success stories and encouraging posts. He has traveled this road with me for these few months, and he has been so supportive! I'm sure he gets tired of my complaining at times. Lol. Anyways, we have also thought about some sort of class action. Poison is right! If and when I recover, I do feel a responsibility to warn others.

Hope its a good day for all!

Tigereye

Good Morning RG,

I am 8 weeks out from my jump (Atavan), and my sleep has been getting slightly more regular recently. I was on an every other night pattern last few weeks, and felt awful on the off days. So yesterday, I felt wonderful all day. Ate like a horse (I've really struggled with no appetite, stress stomach, etc.). Last night I was feeling like I had beat this thing and I would really sleep. Wrong!

Got 2-3 broken hours, max. Awakened with anxiety, feel depleted. So frustrating. Oh well, time to start the day and count my blessings-it could be a whole lot worse.

My husband has also been reading some of the posts-success stories and encouraging posts. He has traveled this road with me for these few months, and he has been so supportive! I'm sure he gets tired of my complaining at times. Lol. Anyways, we have also thought about some sort of class action. Poison is right! If and when I recover, I do feel a responsibility to warn others.

Hope its a good day for all!

Tigereye

Hi Runngergirl and Tigereye,

A class action lawsuit would be phenomenal, but might be very hard to win?  My wife used to work in the medical field and my nephew is a doctor.  After some lengthy conversations, they said it is possible, but would be difficult.  When we get the "poison" from the pharmacy, there is always a litany of possible side effects that are printed on the information page that comes with the prescription.  Technically we have been "advised" of these when we pick the poison up.  However, a sympathetic jury or judge might think otherwise?  The other issue is that doctors have good attorneys that will represent them in any type of malpractice lawsuit.  They would say they were only trying to bring relief and help us...right...maybe sending us to North Korea would have been easier! LOL  To make matters worse, "While post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) has been reported by those in the Benzo/recovery community, there have been few scientific studies supporting its existence. Because of this, the disorder is not recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders or by major medical associations.  Everyone on this site knows it is very real.  The person with the "experience" is never at the mercy of a person with an "argument."  However, the burden of proof would fall on anyone bringing the lawsuit forward. 

When I started listing all my PAWS symptoms to my doctor, he immediately referred me to a psychiatrist as he thought I was mentally ill, and I was temporarily mentally ill, and it was caused by benzos and the subsequent withdrawal.  Further, I think so many people are so elated when they finally recover or feel a lot better that they really don't care about pursuing a lawsuit?  I often thought of trying to get a class action suit going as well.  I really like the idea of contacting someone at the Doctors or Dr. Oz, etc.  There is another Benzo recovery site, Point of Return, where the founder, Alesandra Rain, was on FOX and ABC news TV and radio telling about Benzo and AD withdrawal.  She had a very rough recovery but made it through and that is what prompted her to found the site.  Here is a link if you want to read her story.  https://pointofreturn.com/pages/alesandra_rain 

Runnergirl, thanks a ton for the compliments.  It means a lot to me.  I think I learned a little about this as I had a lot of time to research things and ask others what their experiences were.  Now if only medical doctors would take the same steps in educating themselves about the dangers of Benzos, ADS and other psycho active drugs!  And it is good to VENT and this site is a great place to do that.  I did more than my share of venting early on when I was at my worst.  Folks here get that and understand, so never be afraid to speak your mind.  Once your eyes are opened to the reality of this nightmare, you can't help but say "why didn't my doctor or pharmacist tell me?"  You do hear a lot about Opiods and little or nothing about Benzos, I guess the media has the "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality when reporting news! 

Another good piece of advice that I received from other Benzo Buddies was to not Google our symptoms or what might happen to us from not sleeping, etc.  It just makes things worse.  Even a short break from this site once in awhile is good. 

You will both get to the finish line and recover.  It may not seem possible at this point in your recovery process, but I guarantee it will happen! :)  How can I guarantee that it will happen?  Because everyone that gets off and stays off Rx drugs recovers.  And many on this site never write a success story or they just stop coming here after they feel better and get their life back.  There will be many bumps in the roads ahead and times when you feel like you are taking 1 step forward and 3 steps back, but it WILL eventually get much better.  Hang in there.  You can do this, you have to do this, what other choice do you really have?  :thumbsup: