Confused. I am a depressive person? is this depression due to benzo withdrawal?

[fe...]

On November 2016 I started feeling IBS symptoms that lasted about 3 months. On December 2016 my Dr. gave me prescription for a medicine that one of its ingredients was chlordiazepoxide (a kind of benzo) to improve my IBS symptoms. I took this for more than a month. Immediately after I complete the treatment I developed insomnia, weird sensations on my body and DEPRESSION. At that time I did not realize it could be caused by the medicine, I thought it was caused by the stress of the IBS. A year after that,  I am off clonazepam, which I started taking on May 2017 and stopped on december 2017, and I am feeling almost the exact symptoms (depression, insomnia, anxiety for moments of the day, some weird body sensations). The worst of my symptoms is a persistent depression feeling, that diminish for a day or two and then returns after that.

I think I am depressed due to benzo use but sincerely I am not really sure now, . Normally in the past I was not depressive, just a bit anxious. This is tough! Help!! :'(

[b2...]

fer, I'm still researching this and I don't know much, but I'm willing to bet your depression was caused by the gut dysbiosis which was worsened by the benzo. Benzos mess up the gut. They cause something called leaky gut, which leads to inflammation and often mental symptoms... What are the weird body sensations you mention?

Ruby

thanks for your response Rubylove.

My weird symptoms are burning feet, extreme sensitivity on my genitals (I am a male), lump in the thorat (this is almost disappearing). My worst symptom now is depression, bad thoughts, insomnia. I am having really bad thoughts right now.

[b2...]

Are the bad thoughts kind of OCD-like intrusive ones?

I do think the depression (and those thoughts) is being caused by the benzo and gut issues, fer. Just my two cents' worth... I hope this helps you even just a little bit...

Rubylove:

My bad thoughts are mainly depressive ones..fear, sensation like this is going to be permanent and that this agony will be endless..

[b2...]

fer, I'm no expert, but to me your bad thoughts and depression sound typical of both benzo withdrawal and gut issues. This isn't forever. As your body (and gut) heals, it will go away. You won't always feel this bad, friend.

Thanks..yes, in fact Sunday was a good day. With mild depression, not so overwhelming. I slept for about 5 hours. Last night I did not sleep at all..and I think that is the main cause of this excessive depression symptom I am having today.

[b2...]

Yes, sleep deprivation would definitely make you more depressed.

I think it's an encouraging sign that you're already seeing small windows.  :thumbsup:

[b2...]

I'm so glad my words helped a bit, fer. I needed to hear that today. So thank you for letting me know.

Wishing you much healing. We'll get there.

[b2...]

Fer, some on here have been helped by anti-depressants, they say. Many feel it just caused them setbacks. Plus anti-depressants can be difficult to withdraw from. (My own hard withdrawal from an anti-depressant is what caused me to take a benzo.)

My personal opinion: I would advise against it. Your depression is almost certainly caused by withdrawal and your gut issues. If it were me, I would wait it out, and gently try to heal my gut with an anti-inflammatory diet, some liver support, and probiotics.

You've come so far, buddie. Trust the process (while gently supporting your body). That is my opinion.

Yes.. In fact I hate psych meds. I see they cause more damage in the long term. Going to walk thru this..hopefully with success. Praying.

[b2...]
I hate them too. They've caused me so much pain and ill health. I'll be walking the same walk as you. We'll get there. I hope I never touch a psych drug again for as long as I live.

Fer, you are only just off your benzo and in acute.  It is to be expected and will surely improve.

Thanks Flicka. In fact I have had two days in which depression has been less severe and I could sleep for 6 hours. I think that's a good sign of the healing process

In my experience clonazepam had the most drastic effect on my mood, causing euphoria then depression. It was the only one to do this to me. Since stopping benzos, I have become what I believe would be diagnosed as bipolar disorder with major depression. In my opinion I am not truly like this and it was caused exclusively by the benzodiazepine withdrawl. I think it is the same for you based on your medications. I am getting better slowly and so should you.

In my experience clonazepam had the most drastic effect on my mood, causing euphoria then depression. It was the only one to do this to me. Since stopping benzos, I have become what I believe would be diagnosed as bipolar disorder with major depression. In my opinion I am not truly like this and it was caused exclusively by the benzodiazepine withdrawl. I think it is the same for you based on your medications. I am getting better slowly and so should you.

Thanks for your input.

I think I am not a depressive person. I have been a bit anxious. I was taking a low dose (0.5mg) daily, but I feel this withdrawal like if I was on a high dose. It is overwhelming.

[b2...]

Hang in there, fer.

I'm coming off low-dose Ativan and having the exact same problems - extremely overwhelming. It's the benzo, for sure. You're not alone.

Hang in there, fer.

I'm coming off low-dose Ativan and having the exact same problems - extremely overwhelming. It's the benzo, for sure. You're not alone.

Thanks Rubylove. last night I did not sleep at all, even with 12.5mg of doxylamine.. I am scared!! I am becoming dysfunctional  :(

Fer,

I think I might have something to add here. I’m in a similar boat,

Having recently jumped off of daily benzo use for 3 months. The top

3 symptoms have been insomnia, high anxiety and weight loss. The anxiety

has gotten better, and I am sleeping every other night now. Weight loss is worse

when I don’t sleep. Anyways, this whole mess has caused me to be depressed!

It is all kind of related. I, too, have been working on healing my gut ( although I

do not suffer from gut issues per say). Trying to eat a clean diet, no junk food,

and avoiding dairy and gluten. Also MSG!! It’s been slow going, and I am SO not

myself. I am convinced that the advice of these kind people is the best- not more

drugs! I have a script for lexipro, but I elected to just stay clean and heal. It’s been

slow, but I’m seeing mild improvements as the weeks go by. I’ll hang in there if you will!

Sending healing thoughts,

Tigereye

Fer,

I think I might have something to add here. I'm in a similar boat,

Having recently jumped off of daily benzo use for 3 months. The top

3 symptoms have been insomnia, high anxiety and weight loss. The anxiety

has gotten better, and I am sleeping every other night now. Weight loss is worse

when I don't sleep. Anyways, this whole mess has caused me to be depressed!

It is all kind of related. I, too, have been working on healing my gut ( although I

do not suffer from gut issues per say). Trying to eat a clean diet, no junk food,

and avoiding dairy and gluten. Also MSG!! It's been slow going, and I am SO not

myself. I am convinced that the advice of these kind people is the best- not more

drugs! I have a script for lexipro, but I elected to just stay clean and heal. It’s been

slow, but I’m seeing mild improvements as the weeks go by. I’ll hang in there if you will!

Sending healing thoughts,

Tigereye

Thanks Tigereye!! I appreciate your words of encouragement. This is a tough journey, but it has to be made. We have to heal at the end. I was able to sleep with doxylamine help. I took it just 2-3 times, I do not want to use much sleep aids, because I want my brain to adapt to the new state. Last night I took 12.5mg and ..nothing..it is so frustrating to be awake all night!!

Yeah, I just found a post from Jittery18, who went to a sleep psychologist to teach herself (relearn) how to sleep. It seems that those of us insomniacs get really nervous as bedtime approaches, because we have bad memories of lying awake so many hours in utter frustration. I may look into it. She said it worked, even though she was in bento withdrawal.

Tigereye