NINE Years Out (warning: contents may be triggering for sensitive members)

[gi...]

I guess part of the problem is that the title doesn't necessarily illustrate what the content will be so you go in deperate for hope and are left with despair. People expect success stories to be encouraging and to offer hope. This one inspires pretty much the opposite. Some of us only read success stories sometimes because they're safe. I still think Ginger is a badass, but this is a celebration story and not a success story. It's also obviously rubbed quite a few people the wrong way. There's a reason why the protracted board is subscription only.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [gi...]

• [Mo...]

• [ro...]

• [me...]

If you would do your job I wouldn't have to speak up.

If you have a problem you'd like to discuss with the moderation team, please start a ticket on the Helpdesk.  This thread is not the place to do that.

megan918

Administrator

I guess part of the problem is that the title doesn't necessarily illustrate what the content will be so you go in deperate for hope and are left with despair. People expect success stories to be encouraging and to offer hope. This one inspires pretty much the opposite. Some of us only read success stories sometimes because they're safe. I still think Ginger is a badass, but this is a celebration story and not a success story. It's also obviously rubbed quite a few people the wrong way. There's a reason why the protracted board is subscription only.

I understand this, but we allow members to decide for themselves what constitutes their own success story.

I've added a "warning" to the title.    :thumbsup:

[8a...]

The warning in the Subject line is a good idea, thank you.

Having said that, I'd like to add my voice to the others on here who are disappointed and angered at seeing this post among the Success Stories. Surely it could have gone under Benzo-free Celebrations (which far fewer newbies read)? In the past, I suffered for many years from protracted withdrawal from ADs. I would never have posted about that on a board such us this, however, as I knew how upsetting it would be for others on the journey. So unnecessary. (None of this is to detract from my compassion for Ginger's suffering.)

So, does Ginger have the right to define success for herself and to post on here? Yes.

Is it the kind thing to do? I think not.

I have no doubt that Ginger's story is totally true, and she has my utmost respect for having the courage and willpower to withstand what she's gone through.  However, I  believe that it would be unlikely for the average Klonapin user, with a similar history of use and withdrawal, to experience these long-term extreme symptoms, to these degrees, after a properly tapered withdrawal. Personally, I don't know if I could survive even half of what Ginger has gone through.

If you would do your job I wouldn't have to speak up.

She IS doing her job. Show a little respect sir for the BB team who put their unpaid time and energy into maintaining this site, a site where you and anyone can come to find support and encouragement during one of the most difficult times of their lives.  They do a great job and insulting them is just not acceptable. 

She

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your story. I think it's great that you have taken your life back in spite of all the symptoms you still deal with. I can relate to that as I am a brain tumor survivor who also suffered benzo addiction and I'm going through withdrawal. it's hard for me to know what symptoms are related to my brain surgery and what is a withdrawal symptom and it's impossible to predict what recovery will look like for me. I'm taking my life back in spite of all this scary weirdness and Vertigo.

Letting go of fear and not expecting miracles are my weapons.

You are a survivor.

Thanks for sharing

Having returned to work, and happy with life, I think is a success story. If I had done it, and compared to when I had cramps, hallucinations, didn`t recognize myself in the mirror, been outside the body, chemical terror + 30 symptoms, I would be so happy if I had been back to work again!

The question is also what you can demand from your body, were you completely healthy before? If you received benzo for anxiety and physical discomfort, there is no chance in the world that you recover to 100%. Because the withdrawal doesn`t remove the inconvenience you had before. If you didn`t get Benzo for sleep you were not well, you took tablets because you felt bad.

The fact that the body, the brain and the nervous system manage to heal from all the withdrawal symptoms I see as unbelievable. But I don`t expect these (temporary) injuries to heal the problems I had before - because then I demand a miracle. If you expect to be completely healthy you can wait forever.

Happy with life, and could do a job,what more could you ask for? Ginger, you are a survivor, I`m so happy for you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Did you have tinnitus and burning mouth before benzos?  I had a burning mouth prior to Clonazepam, but the tinnitus developed after I withdrew the first time.  Both symptoms are hell to live with.  I fear they will never go away.

• 11 months later...

“Life is good!”

I’d take that.

Bingo.

Bumping this again for those of us that feel stuck in this.

Three simple words: "Life is good".

Sounds good to me...  8)

Ginger, I wish you well! We've been through so much. For what it's worth, your writing is very eloquent and clear and certainly doesn't sound like it was written by someone suffering dementia. And if you're doing okay working and having friends you're way ahead of the game! I hope you continue to improve.

• 9 months later...
Bumping this one as well for us in long term recovery. Though some choose to see this as a sad outcome, I definitely see positive in this success story. Like Ginger says... "life is good".

• 9 months later...
I wonder if more healing has progressed since Ginger posted this over three years ago. Anyway, I'm bumping this for us old timers.  8)