cryotherapy

[Er...]

Did anyone do cryotherapy in an attempt to reset the body (hormones etc.) ?

And sleep better ?

I start a series of cryo sauna this week.

i would be cautious with cryotherapy - it is very extreme - the whole idea of it is to set off a massive endorphin release to heal and repair the body - which is normally a great thing - but in withdrawal - that could be a tough thing for the body to tolerate and could ultimately make things worse.  when i was in withdrawal round 1 and didnt understand what was wrong - i took low dose naltrexone - as it's a similar concept although no where near as extreme as cryotherapy - and i didnt sleep for 10 days.  it set off a dramatic adrenal gland reaction that was awful. 

i know a  lot of people who've done cryotherapy to heal from lymes - it normally is a great healing modality but i'd approach it with caution.

not sure how your body responds to exercise.  if you are one of the people who does really well with it - cryotherapy may have a positive outcome - if you do not tolerate exercise - like it sets off adrenaline and makes your symptoms worse - i can almost guarantee cryotherapy will have a paradoxical effect for you. 

if you try it - certainly let us know how it went.  I have a facility right near by that i plan to use once i feel my body could handle it.

A word of caution...I have read of many different therapies having been used by folks on BB and have tried many myself. So far I have not heard of, or experienced, any that work. A whole lot of money and time was spent chasing these hopes. I have long since come to the conclusion that time is the only healer of what we are all going through.

Did anyone do cryotherapy in an attempt to reset the body (hormones etc.) ?

And sleep better ?

I start a series of cryo sauna this week.

I Agree with Aloha and SSR1975.  I spent $7,000 going to the Coleman institute in September 2016 for his touted Flumazenil treatment.  It did nothing except reset my recovery clock by X amount of time and flatten my wallet!  Unfortunately the only way out is through the recovery process, which is all about time and more time.  I will be 17 months off on Friday and I am still recovering in the sleep department.  I had a decent night of sleep last night, but the night before was about 4 hours of broken sleep. There will be many ups and downs until your brain "fixes" things.  In desperation we all look for that "magic" cure, treatment, supplement, therapy, etc.  They don't exist. 

Tomorrow I will start the first of 3 treatments.

I focus my hope again, already did acupuncture, supplements, and I exercise and do normal sauna .

It is not that expensive,  20 euros per session.

Hi Erik8,

I am interested in how Cryotherapy works just from an intuitive standpoint.  How cold is it?  How long do you stay in?  Just wondering.  Good luck and I hope it has some benefit for you? :thumbsup:

Hey Erik - did you go through with it?  how did it go?

TheWay - my understanding is the chambers are below 100 degrees celcius - only your head sticks out.  you are in for 2 to 4 minutes. 

It definitely is one of the cheaper healing modalities out there - i have a local facility that is $15 per session.  But, I haven't tried it because even accupressure mats set off terrible reactions for me - and for a long time my body didnt tolerate exercise - so - i am hesitant to put my body through something that extreme!

ThEwAy2 - You are spot on......we just need time to heal.  I didn't realize you have been off benzo's for 17 months now.  Wow....and still having trouble sleeping sometimes.  Yikes.....  It just makes sense that we have to heal naturally. 

I don't even know what Cryotherapy is. 

Just let the brain heal :thumbsup:

Well, going to work out now....cannot run outside , as it is 15 degrees below zero!!!    I HATE WINTER!!!. :'(

Pretty soon, Florida bound,,,,Walt Disney World,,, THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH.......I MUST SLEEP THERE!!!!!  Hopefully......I should be so dead tired by the end of the day, that I do sleep.  We will see.....

Take care everyone.....

ThEwAy2 - You are spot on......we just need time to heal.  I didn't realize you have been off benzo's for 17 months now.  Wow....and still having trouble sleeping sometimes.  Yikes.....  It just makes sense that we have to heal naturally. 

I don't even know what Cryotherapy is. 

Just let the brain heal :thumbsup:

Well, going to work out now....cannot run outside , as it is 15 degrees below zero!!!    I HATE WINTER!!!. :'(

Pretty soon, Florida bound,,,,Walt Disney World,,, THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH.......I MUST SLEEP THERE!!!!!  Hopefully......I should be so dead tired by the end of the day, that I do sleep.  We will see.....

Take care everyone.....

Hey Runnergirl,

Wondering what state you live in or where you live.  I am in Wisconsin and it is below zero but not -15.  It was -10 last night.  Yeah winter does suck.  I get less than desired sleep about 3-4 times per month, but I will take what I get now, usually 6-8 hours per night (broken) versus 5 hours per week and lots of zero nights the first 8 months off.  I have not had a zero night since April 11, 2017.  That's why I keep saying it takes time and more time and a long time to completely recover with sleep for most.  However, my quality of life is the same as it used to be before Benzos.  I realized that as we age, and for some people in general, we don't need as much sleep as we think.  I can function completely fine on 5 hours or more per night. It will continue to improve. I get strings of 10 - 14 days in a row of 6-8 hours.  Just sayin!  :thumbsup:

Theway - have you ever tried seriphos?  it helps when sleep related issues are related to cortisol levels - which can increase with age and certainly is a problem in withdrawal - although at 17 months out - your adrenals are probably fairly healed.  i took it the last 3 nights-  the first night i got 11 hours of sleep and the other 2 nights - 8 hours of sleep - real deep good quality sleep!  I am just over 7 months off.  i also get those couple of really bad nights per month.  no more than 3 i'd say where its like 3-4 hours of sleep total.  i think it does ebb and flow as the healing process continues.

Theway - have you ever tried seriphos?  it helps when sleep related issues are related to cortisol levels - which can increase with age and certainly is a problem in withdrawal - although at 17 months out - your adrenals are probably fairly healed.  i took it the last 3 nights-  the first night i got 11 hours of sleep and the other 2 nights - 8 hours of sleep - real deep good quality sleep!  I am just over 7 months off.  i also get those couple of really bad nights per month.  no more than 3 i'd say where its like 3-4 hours of sleep total.  i think it does ebb and flow as the healing process continues.

Hi SSRI1975, yes I tried a different brand of Phosphatidylserine and it did not work early on in my withdrawal.  I haven't tried it since and I still have 3/4 of a bottle in my cupboard.  Cortisol/Adrenal surges have not been a problem for me since last January/February.  I am glad you getting some sleep with it and hope that it continues to work for you!  I had a good night last night and got about 7.5 hours of pretty solid sleep.  Only woke up 2 times and once from my dog barking to come in from outside at 12:30 am.  LOL.  I am staying with my take nothing mentality and let the process run the course.  But even an off or bad night is nothing now as the good nights far outweigh the bad nights.  As I said, I used to average 5 hours of sleep per week the first 3 months after I jumped.  Now I get close to 50 hours a week every week.  10 times as much!  :thumbsup:

The healing process is very much up and down until we completely recover.  However, my experience has been more like the ups and downs starting with the highest, fastest roller coaster ever made and then slowly transitioning to the "kiddie" roller coaster over time.  Here's to continued healing for everyone!

I did my third cryo today,  3 minutes and I feel good , no strange reactions.

My usual wave, every three days, was much less, hope it will stay that way .

My was already better (longer) but last night I woke up three times with a full nose, but that's another problem.

Last few weeks I make 7 hours of sleep, 5 or 6 is really too less for me , despite my age  (48)

A little off topic.  Has anyone used a TENS machine for back pain?  I'm a bit scared to stimulate my nerves with it and risk it causing a reaction.

• 2 years later...

Any updates here?  I just had a session today and I feel great.  I originally went to treat my knee but it put me in a window and I'm wondering now if there's more to it.  I did the chamber 3 minutes of -200 Celcius air.  Was really cold inside but I felt great afterwards.  Anxiety plummeted and now I'm thinking of going again.  Oh, and it did help my knee as well!

• 2 months later...

It's been over 2 years since I did about ten sessions,  it did not help for withdrawal,  but I lost weight,  it was not for nothing.

Since the corona I feel worse again.