Under .125 Klonopin Club

[Wo...]

Agenthall,

Did you taper all at once weekly or a little each day? I tapered 75% way too quickly, so I’m trying to take this last 1/4 hopefully slowly enough not to disrupt my daily life. Of course, I don’t want to drag it out either. I may try every other day 1% taper, I’m not sure just yet.

Youngster,

Wow! It’s great that you’ve been able to taper 9% in 9 days with only mild symptoms. I think I ruined myself when I did the first part of my taper way too quickly. I seriously am so scared to feel like that again. I know that I should probably kick it up a bit. I’ve only done 3% since Monday. I feel fine except for just some mild tightness in my throat. It’s like if I decrease my dose at all, my throat wants to pretend it’s closing. It’s not, but it sure wants for me to feel like it is! Worst symptom ever! Hate that feeling! Before I realized that I had developed tolerance, I kept thinking that I was having an allergic reaction. Except, I can breathe! I even went for scans…my throat is wide open, nothing blocking it, not swollen, but feeling my throat get tight is my number one symptom. And it’s the one that I hate most! When it was worse (when I tapered too quickly), I would actually get choked on my food! Craziest thing ever! Not many people talk about that symptom much.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Gr...]

• [Kr...]

• [Wo...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I occasionally get a tight throat as well but I find that cough lollies seem to do the trick for me (or it may be placebo effect).

I'm hoping I can continue without the need to hold but I'm happy to hold if I find I need to.  I'm trying to do this the right way and not come crashing down at the end.

I’ll have to try that! Actually, I don’t have a cough drop, but I do have a jolly rancher. I’m going to try it now! Thanks!

Keep up the good work…You are doing great! Hope it continues to go smoothly for you!

Beehive. I actually taper 10-15% over the course of a two week period. So I'll get out my gram scale at the beginning of the week and calculate the last dose (the final 10-15% dose); and then I just cut and file the rest in between at regular intervals. I do it by weight of course. So If my end dose needs to be .7 and I'm starting at .8mg, then I'll make doses that go .8, .79, .78, .77 etc. Honestly I just combine little scraps until they add up to the right weight and then put those in a pill case for that day. As I'm sure you've realized, once we get down to these small doses its really hard to be exact using the dry cut method. Obviously titration would be better, but I've found dry cut is cheap and has worked just fine for me.

Beehive. I actually taper 10-15% over the course of a two week period. So I'll get out my gram scale at the beginning of the week and calculate the last dose (the final 10-15% dose); and then I just cut and file the rest in between at regular intervals. I do it by weight of course. So If my end dose needs to be .7 and I'm starting at .8mg, then I'll make doses that go .8, .79, .78, .77 etc. Honestly I just combine little scraps until they add up to the right weight and then put those in a pill case for that day. As I'm sure you've realized, once we get down to these small doses its really hard to be exact using the dry cut method. Obviously titration would be better, but I've found dry cut is cheap and has worked just fine for me.

Hello, agenthall. First and foremost, congratulations on the progress you’ve made!  I hope you won’t mind if I use your post to address a common misconception here in the forum.  That is, the only way to titrate one’s dose is to use a liquid. Per our Titration Taper overview:

In the context of benzodiazepine withdrawal, titration involves making ‘small enough’ reductions in dose to keep withdrawal symptoms tolerable with the goal of discontinuing the benzodiazepine. Ways to titrate one’s dose include using:

a) Manufacturer’s oral liquid

b) Compounded liquid

c) Compounded capsules and tablets (e.g. Tapering Strips*)

d) Precision scale or balance (powder weighing, pill shaving)

e) Homebrew liquid

Note: At higher doses, individuals may find it helpful to use the above dosage forms in combination with commercially available tablets.

You are making ‘small enough’ reductions in your dose using the ‘shave/weigh’ approach.  Therefore, according to our definition of titration, you ARE titrating your dose!

Libertas, "well, I'll be". Consider me educated here. I guess I am a "titrater"  :thumbsup:

I suppose I should have said "liquid titration" as my assumption has been that is a bit more precise in its measurements than cutting and shaving. But yeah, you're right, appreciate the clarification.

Welcome to the ‘Titrator’s Club’ agenthall!

Thank you for surfacing another common misconception as well as a common word choice issue.

Accuracy is how close a measurement is to the true value. An example is how close an arrow gets to the bull's-eye of a target.

Precision is how consistent results are when measurements are repeated. An example is how close a second arrow is to the first one (regardless of whether either is near the bull’s-eye).

In the case of liquid titration, using a commercially manufactured oral solution in conjunction with a properly calibrated measuring device of the appropriate capacity has the highest likelihood of delivering doses that are both accurate and precise.

With the exception of a professionally compounded, potency/stability-tested oral solution, the likelihood of obtaining doses that are both accurate and precise decreases with other liquid dosage forms (see our Titration:FAQs for details). However, let me hasten to add that some individuals are able to obtain doses that are ‘accurate enough’ and ‘precise enough’ using such liquids.

[44...]

Honestly I just combine little scraps until they add up to the right weight and then put those in a pill case for that day. As I'm sure you've realized, once we get down to these small doses its really hard to be exact using the dry cut method.

AgentHall, I used the dry cut method down to .044 and it worked well for me with no issues. But, once I got to that small weight my scale started to become inaccurate and to continue tapering I needed to switch methods.  I decided on a method that Bob7 used and shared with the group which uses filler material to increase the weight of the drug.  The link to his website is in my signature.  It was a great decision and I've been really happy with the switch.

Rodger, yeah Bob7's video was my inspiration for the method I use now (I just haven't added the filler). I'm going to make my jump at .05mg so I'm hoping I won't need to add filler. Its probably gonna be a bit rough, but at some point... its just dust... well at least that's what I'm telling myself. .0625 was my initial goal for jumping, but I'm gonna do one more cut after I hit that mark, hence the .05 jump point.

[44...]

Rodger, yeah Bob7's video was my inspiration for the method I use now (I just haven't added the filler). I'm going to make my jump at .05mg so I'm hoping I won't need to add filler. Its probably gonna be a bit rough, but at some point... its just dust... well at least that's what I'm telling myself. .0625 was my initial goal for jumping, but I'm gonna do one more cut after I hit that mark, hence the .05 jump point.

Got it.  I have to say that I'm shocked at how the little cuts are impacting me at such a low dose.  It seems like such a small amount but this drug is so powerful.  Ashton manual suggests .025 I believe so .05 is a bit high to jump but lots of others have done it I'm sure.

Agenthall,

Thanks so much for sharing what is working for you. I think I’ll start to titrate every other day instead of just once weekly and if that goes well, maybe even everyday. You are so close! I tried the dry cut, but my scale was crappy, so liquid was less stressful for me. When I was cutting, I could weigh the same little chunk and it weigh differently each time. I guess I should have bought a better scale.

I think I’ll shoot for at least a decrease of 10% every two weeks. I’ve only decreased 3% this week, but will see how 5% goes next week. Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to hear how your jump goes. I don’t really have a plan for jump dose just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. Im part of this klub. Current dose is .058mg. Almost there.

Symptoms are in the head but recently have calmed down a bit after 11 weeks of much pain and suffering.

The last year has been difficult even when I tapered relatively slow from a low dose to begin with. 

My advice: If you taper from klonopin, never ever touch it again. As my first time tapering went well not the 2nd.

Im cutting .003 every 3 to 5 days depending on how I feel.

I use the smart weigh scale and already have all my cuts ready all the way down to .011mg.

I am also considering Bob7 method and dropping .001mg everyday instead of .003mg every 3 days, when I get to around .029mg. (or sooner depending on how I feel.)

I wish you all success in your tapering and may your healing come quickly.

Best wishes and praying for you all.

[44...]

Symptoms are in the head but recently have calmed down a bit after 11 weeks of much pain and suffering.

The last year has been difficult even when I tapered relatively slow from a low dose to begin with. 

My advice: If you taper from klonopin, never ever touch it again. As my first time tapering went well not the 2nd.

I use the smart weigh scale and already have all my cuts ready all the way down to .011mg.

I am also considering Bob7 method and dropping .001mg everyday instead of .003mg every 3 days, when I get to around .029mg. (or sooner depending on how I feel.)

Hi Pixie, congrats on your taper and wishing you healing as you head into the final stretch of your taper.

Good advice about never touching Klonopin after taper.  I honestly cannot imagine going through this taper twice in one lifetime. It's too brutal!

Yes I'll second "the never touching klonopin again" advice.  Never again.

I was offered some valium for a procedure I was having a few weeks ago, and I told the doctor "Hell No" (and I don't usually swear). He said, no problem, I'd be fine, and I was. I know most people react fine to these drugs short term, but for those of us that have gone through this withdrawal junk... NEVER AGAIN.

Hi Pixie, congrats on your taper and wishing you healing as you head into the final stretch of your taper.

Good advice about never touching Klonopin after taper.  I honestly cannot imagine going through this taper twice in one lifetime. It's too brutal!

Hey RodgerThat,

Thank you! Yes, I'm in the final stretch.

Hoping to soon be off and heal from all of this mess.

I'll be around letting you know how is going and when my final dose is.

Right now, I'm holding here for a few days for my daughter's birthday.

Im cutting again on Monday the 25.

How are you feeling? Hows the tapering going?

[44...]

Hey RodgerThat,

Pixie, the end is near for us both. My symptoms have been a bit of a rollercoaster the past week or two.  This week I've been doing well but last week was really, really rough.  I keep telling myself that the only way out is through. 

Hey RodgerThat,

Pixie, the end is near for us both. My symptoms have been a bit of a rollercoaster the past week or two.  This week I've been doing well but last week was really, really rough.  I keep telling myself that the only way out is through.

RodgerThat, you are almost done!! Im cheering for you!!! Praying for you!!!

You are going to get through this, indeed.

Hope this last stretch is better for you and you heal quickly.

Are you keeping a log or journal on how you feel day by day???

Are you dropping .001 everyday??

[44...]

Are you keeping a log or journal on how you feel day???

Thank you, Pixie! I need all the prayers and I appreciate your support.  Cheering for you too!

Yes, I am dropping .001 everyday and I will be off this in less than 2 weeks now!! It's been a long journey and I've tapered for 2 years and 4 months.  I originally thought that I could taper in six months but this experience has humbled me.

I started a progress log at .044 and update it at least once a week.  I started it to keep me motivated but if you want to read it here's the link: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=266367.0

How are you doing with your taper? 

Are you keeping a log or journal on how you feel day???

Thank you, Pixie! I need all the prayers and I appreciate your support.  Cheering for you too!

Yes, I am dropping .001 everyday and I will be off this in less than 2 weeks now!! It's been a long journey and I've tapered for 2 years and 4 months.  I originally thought that I could taper in six months but this experience has humbled me.

I started a progress log at .044 and update it at least once a week.  I started it to keep me motivated but if you want to read it here's the link: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=266367.0

How are you doing with your taper?

Yeiii, you got less than 2 weeks and I got less than 2 months! :)

So praying for you!

How were you cutting at such small dose as .0005??

Your head buzzing is it like a loud drone/hum??

So happy for you. You are almost done!!!

[44...]

So praying for you!

Thank you, Pixie!

I am currently cutting .001 but I did cut .0005 for about 30 days and I was able to do that because of Bob7's method. The link to his method is below and includes a spreadsheet where you input how much you want your cuts to be and it creates a spreadsheet with how much weight to put in each capsule.  This method seemed overwhelming to me at first but I realized that it was the most accurate for small doses.  And, I actually found it pretty easy once you wrap your head around it. 

I've had a high pitched hum in my head for as long as I can remember.  For some reason it doesn't bother me too much! Overall, I'm feeling really good this week and I'm really encouraged to step off. 

How is your taper going?  What are your current symptoms? 

So praying for you!

Thank you, Pixie!

I am currently cutting .001 but I did cut .0005 for about 30 days and I was able to do that because of Bob7's method. The link to his method is below and includes a spreadsheet where you input how much you want your cuts to be and it creates a spreadsheet with how much weight to put in each capsule.  This method seemed overwhelming to me at first but I realized that it was the most accurate for small doses.  And, I actually found it pretty easy once you wrap your head around it. 

I've had a high pitched hum in my head for as long as I can remember.  For some reason it doesn't bother me too much! Overall, I'm feeling really good this week and I'm really encouraged to step off. 

How is your taper going?  What are your current symptoms?

Hey RodgetThat,

I can't understand what you mean by a high pitch hum? Ive had a loud "low" hum/drone since 2016 but it I can not say it is high pitch as it is more like an engine all over the head. I do have a high pitch hiss also since 2011.

Yes, I've looked into Bob's method. I think I will try it soon.

The tapering is going slowly but surely. My symptoms are in the head. Somedays better than others. The hum may be a bit more noticeable, but I think it is because I don't have enough k to relax me completely in order to not care about it.

Every cut I feel. It is incredible that the brain can notice such tiny amount of reduction.

I pray and find my hope in the Lord.

Glad you are almost FREE! :)

[44...]

Hey RodgetThat,

I can't understand what you mean by a high pitch hum? Ive had a loud "low" hum/drone since 2016 but it I can not say it is high pitch as it is more like an engine all over the head. I do have a high pitch hiss also since 2011.

Yes, I've looked into Bob's method. I think I will try it soon.

The tapering is going slowly but surely. My symptoms are in the head. Somedays better than others. The hum may be a bit more noticeable, but I think it is because I don't have enough k to relax me completely in order to not care about it.

Every cut I feel. It is incredible that the brain can notice such tiny amount of reduction.

I pray and find my hope in the Lord.

Glad you are almost FREE! :)

I suppose it is more like a ringing than a hum now that you say it.  I think that a hum, by definition, is low so probably not the best description. 

I feel for you going through this.  The tiniest cuts feel so very significant at this low dose.  It is hard but we will make it!!!

Hi all! It sounds like you guys are doing great and so very close! I can’t wait to claim that my current dose is 0.0something! I’m at 0.113mg currently…for the last 7-8 days I’ve had that nagging tightness that I get in my throat. It’s not so bad that I choke or feel that I can’t swallow like it was was when I was tapering too quickly, but it’s there. Like a reminder threatening that it could return full force at any moment! I hated that symptom the most! I only tapered 3% (of the last 0.133mg) last week instead of 4% bc of it. It hasn’t gotten worse but that “throat awareness” is still there. Otherwise, I’ve been working out in the garden a lot and very functional in day. Still not sleeping great, but better than I was sleeping, so I’m thankful! Maybe I should cut back 0.001 daily since it seems that I’m going to have this throat thing regardless of how slowly I taper. I’m a little scared to try it though, as that’s more than I’ve been doing.

[44...]

Hi all! It sounds like you guys are doing great and so very close! I can’t wait to claim that my current dose is 0.0something! I’m at 0.113mg currently…for the last 7-8 days I’ve had that nagging tightness that I get in my throat. It’s not so bad that I choke or feel that I can’t swallow like it was was when I was tapering too quickly, but it’s there. Like a reminder threatening that it could return full force at any moment! I hated that symptom the most! I only tapered 3% (of the last 0.133mg) last week instead of 4% bc of it. It hasn’t gotten worse but that “throat awareness” is still there. Otherwise, I’ve been working out in the garden a lot and very functional in day. Still not sleeping great, but better than I was sleeping, so I’m thankful! Maybe I should cut back 0.001 daily since it seems that I’m going to have this throat thing regardless of how slowly I taper. I’m a little scared to try it though, as that’s more than I’ve been doing.

BeeHive, you are doing great on your progress! You've cut almost 80% in four months which is a great accomplishment!

Anxiety around tapering is real.  For me, I found that tapering .001 every day unless holding for symptoms moved me along.  But, I wasn't afraid to hold.  I think holding for your symptoms is a loving thing to do for yourself.

TheBeeHive3,

You are doing great!  I also did a pretty slow taper and still had to deal with sx.

Just keep going and soon you'll be done.

I cant wait to get my vegetable garden going but it is still a bit cold here. I did start my seedlings and they are looking great in my window cell for now. :) 

My continual prayers for us all to heal completely and soon.