Large batch made with OraPlus

[St...]

Bella Amis kindly gave me a plan for large batch mixed from Ora Plus ...50mg in 50 ml of liquid. I want to taper 5mg at a reasonable pace. How do I figure my nightly dose from that particular batch? I know that I draw out my dose but how much for,say, a 10 percent reduction? And such a batch would last me ten days, right?  Then make another.  Sorry I just can’t get my head around the math.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mi...]

• [Be...]

• [pe...]

• [bu...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there...

What rate do you want to start with 5%, 10 %?  Do you want to cut making daily reductions or cut a % & hold? How many times a day do you dose? Let me know specifics & I will help you with a plan.

Bella Amis kindly gave me a plan for large batch mixed from Ora Plus ...50mg in 50 ml of liquid. I want to taper 5mg at a reasonable pace. How do I figure my nightly dose from that particular batch? I know that I draw out my dose but how much for,say, a 10 percent reduction? And such a batch would last me ten days, right?  Then make another.  Sorry I just can’t get my head around the math.

5mgX 10%= .5mg

5mg-.5mg = 4.5mg

If 50mg=50ml, then 4.5mg=4.5ml

But your previous post said you were going to do 5mg=50ml?

I dose nightly, would like to cut five percent and hold for five days or so, and then another five, etc. I have a limited number of pills so need to proceed at a medium rate.

I dose nightly, would like to cut five percent and hold for five days or so, and then another five, etc. I have a limited number of pills so need to proceed at a medium rate.

This taper plan is a 5% cut plan using a 1:1(1ml=1mg) solution or suspension

% is rounded off

CUT#          5% cut                                Dose(ml/mg)              Reduction(ml/mg)   

1)      5% of 5mg=.25mg                        4.75                            .25

2)      5% of 4.75=.24mg                        4.51

3)      5% of 4.51=.23mg                        4.28

4)      5% of 4.28=.21mg                        4.07                              .93

5)      5% of 4.07=.20mg                        3.87

6)      5% of 3.87=.19mg                        3.68

7)      5% of 3.68=.18mg                        3.50

8}    5% of 3.50=.17mg                        3.33

9)      5% of 3.33=.16mg                        3.17

10)      5% of 3.17=.16mg                        3.01                            1.99

11)      5% of 3.01=.15mg                        2.86

12)      5% of 2.86=.14mg                        2.72

13)      5% of 2.72=.13mg                        2.59

14)      5% of 2.59=.13mg                        2.46

15)      5% of 2.46=.12mg                        2.34

16)      5% of 2.34=.12mg                        2.22

17)      5% of 2.22=.11mg                        2.11

18)      5% of 2.11=.11mg                        2.00                              3.0

19)      5% of 2.00=.10mg                        1.90

20)      5% of 1.90=.10mg                        1.80

21)      5% of 1.80=.09mg                        1.71

22)      5% of 1.71=.09mg                        1.62

23)      5% of 1.62=.08mg                        1.54

24)      5% of 1.54=.08mg                        1.46

25)      5% of 1.46=.07mg                        1.39

26)      5% of 1.39=.07mg                        1.32

27)      5% of 1.32=.07mg                        1.25

28)      5% of 1.25=.06mg                        1.19

29)      5% of 1.19=.06mg                        1.13

30)      5% of 1.13=.06mg                        1.07

31)      5% of 1.07=.05mg                        1.02                            3.98

32)      5% of 1.02=.05mg                          .97

33)      5% of  .97=.05mg                          .92   

34)      5% of  .92=.05mg                          .88 

35)      5% of  .88=.04mg                          .84

36)      5% of  .84=.04mg                          .80   

37)      5% of  .80=.04mg                          .76

38)      5% of  .76=.04mg                          .72

39)      5% of  .72=.04mg                          .68

40)      5% of  .68=.03mg                          .65

41)      5% of  .65=.03mg                            62

42)      5% of  .62=.03mg                          .59

43)      5% of  .59=.03mg                          .56

44)      5% of  .56=.03mg                          .53

45)      5% of  .53=.03mg                          .50                            4.50

Bella Amis, thank you for the plan. I really appreciate your effort to help. I’m not sure I understand what I’m looking at though in terms of the pills I have available. The decreasing dosages you list are for a suspension made from five 5mg pills ...50mg suspended in 50 ml..or what exactly? Then I make a new batch? I guess I’m not getting the big picture of a taper down to 0.  Head full of fog these days.

You can make your suspension any way you want. !:1, 1:2, 1:10, 1:100 what ever works best for you. How many tabs do you have to work with?

Ok, so that is 250mg, that will make 5-50mg/ml batches. add up the doses in that chart I made & see if you have enough to do a 5% reduction. It not you may have to reduce at a higher rate.

Sorry, I can’t figure this out right now ...it’s late here.  I’ll get back to you in the a.m. again thanks a million times for your efforts.  I’ll let it soak overnight :)

I’m not sure if I am allowed to butt in here, but you seem to have a solid grasp of this titration business.  As I am a newbie to this forum and really don’t know how rules are structured, might I ask a question ?

I am currently taking 1mg Valium daily and I split my pill into 6 pieces.

How would I go about accomplishing the same dose in an OraPlus suspension?

I assume I crush up the pills, but I have no clue how to proceed from there!?

How many mg of Valium in how many ml of OraPlus?

Then how do I get out the right dose, which would be 1/6th of 1mg.

So, I need to take 1/6th of 1mg, 6 times a day, for a total of 1 mg daily.

I really need to get this into a suspension because my current method of pill splitting yields inaccurate doses.  It is impossible to cut the pill equally in such tiny amounts.  Hence my desire to go to an oral suspension.

Would you be able to advise me?  I would be forever grateful!!

I’m not sure if I am allowed to butt in here, but you seem to have a solid grasp of this titration business.  As I am a newbie to this forum and really don’t know how rules are structured, might I ask a question ?

I am currently taking 1mg Valium daily and I split my pill into 6 pieces.

How would I go about accomplishing the same dose in an OraPlus suspension?

I assume I crush up the pills, but I have no clue how to proceed from there!?

How many mg of Valium in how many ml of OraPlus?

Then how do I get out the right dose, which would be 1/6th of 1mg.

So, I need to take 1/6th of 1mg, 6 times a day, for a total of 1 mg daily.

I really need to get this into a suspension because my current method of pill splitting yields inaccurate doses.  It is impossible to cut the pill equally in such tiny amounts.  Hence my desire to go to an oral suspension.

Would you be able to advise me?  I would be forever grateful!!

Hello MissD-

Welcome to the forum!It is ok to butt in here. We all have the same agenda here...to help one another to get through the benzo withdrawal journey as safely & smoothly as possible..so no worries :)

Ok, so you are on 1mg of Valium & want to know how to make a proper suspension for titration.

How fast do you want to reduce?

Since it is such a low dose the easiest way to do this would be to make a 1:10 1mg=10ml suspension using a solvent & Ora plus suspension liquid & a 1ml 100 increment syringe.

Formula:

1) Put 5- 2mg tablets in a small vial with10ml of ethanol

2) Put 50ml of Ora-plus+ 40ml of water in a 100ml graduating cylinder shake vigorously

3) Add the solvent solution to the Ora-plus suspension once tablets are dissolved. Shake vigorously

10ml=1mg

1mg/6x = .166mg  6x a day

Draw out 1.66ml 6x a day. This will be your starting dose. Then you can reduce daily or do a cut & hold what ever works best for you.

Hope this is helpful

Fantastic!!!!

Very helpful indeed.  Thank you sooo much.  One question - ethanol - is that something I can get at a pharmacy?  I’m assuming that ethanol, being the solvent, is a very important part of the equation. 

Since I have never purchased it, I haven’t a clue where to get it.  Help?, once more...please? and sorry.

Fantastic!!!!

Very helpful indeed.  Thank you sooo much.  One question - ethanol - is that something I can get at a pharmacy?  I’m assuming that ethanol, being the solvent, is a very important part of the equation. 

Since I have never purchased it, I haven’t a clue where to get it.  Help?, once more...please? and sorry.

Hi there-

Glad you found info helpful!

Ethanol is 95% pure alcohol. It is the best option. It is available in some states in U.S.A. at a liquor store.

https://www.haskells.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/816x1200/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/2/1/214536_1_1_1.jpg

If you cannot get Everclear, a high quality/proof substitute can be used as well.

Some folks use propylene glycol  as a solvent too.

You are terrific!  Looked for Everclear here but it’s not available. 

Will use a neutral grain spirit 94% - that should work?  Yes?

Isn’t propylene glycol anti-freeze?  Don’t want to go that route - lol

:laugh: yes, it is in anti freeze..FDA claims it is safe in our foods  ???

FDA recommends using no more than .2% total by weight for human consumption...scary....I pass on PG too  :thumbsup:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=172.820

There are literally thousands of substances and compounds that are commonly and safely used in our foods, medicines, personal care items, etc.  that are also used in industrial, automotive, energy, fuel, etc products.  That doesn't make them any less safe, or inappropriate for personal consumption.

BTW, propylene glycol and alcohol are BOTH components of anti-freeze.  They also happen to be the most widely used solvents for pharmaceutical products.

All right then, we have a starting point once all of my supplies are in - they have been ordered.  Lord, I never in my life felt like a junkie  >:D, but......this?  Well, it's kind of funny.  Perhaps I should watch Breaking Bad - lol.

So, if I ever stabilize on 1 mg in 6 daily doses, what kind of cuts can I make.

FYI:  20 mg Valium daily for 5 years was my regular dose.  Due to various misunderstandings  between my doctor, the pharmacy and myself, I eventually found myself on 1 mg Valium per day divided into 6 doses.

Yes, an extremely idiotic and rapid taper, but day 14 and I am hanging in.  The whole withdrawal actually started on December 7th/2017.

My doctor had put me on 1MG Ativan 3x per day instead of Valium.  I felt awful and she quickly bumped me to 2MG Ativan 3x per day.

Still felt horrendous.  Put me back on Valium, thinking I had been on 10 mg per day (when actually was 20 mg per day).  I didn't notice, because my brain was essentially fried.  I guess I started having withdrawal symptoms, but I thought it was a paradoxical reaction.  So, I decided, in my infinite wisdom (NOT!) to get off and do it fast!!

So, I chose 1MG Valium (6 doses daily divided) as my starting point.  Needless to say, it's been a nightmare.  However, having survived this 14 days of pure unadulterated hell I do not want to increase my dose.  Symptoms still present, but definitely diminishing in intensity.  So that must be a good thing?

Point is (sorry for rambling) once I stabilize, what would my taper look like?

I would like to go real slow.  I do not want to enter the twilight zone again.

Any suggestions?  And thank you so very much - you are truly a life saver.

Just FYI, there really is no reason to take 6 doses of V per day.  V is most frequently prescribed in 2X/day dosing, and many folks do just fine on 1X/day.

Consolidating your dosing to 2X/day will greatly simplify your taper program.

Hey...

You are funny  :laugh:

Sounds like you are right on top of this process. Supplies ordered good to go.  :thumbsup:

Sounds like those dr's had you up & down like a yo yo. Not good.

20mg for 5 years is significant amount of time. 1mg is the lowest therapeutic dose. Many here "jump" at that dose.

So 14 days @ 1mg  day...

Valium has a long half life & has the tendency to build up in our system depending on how fast our metabolism is. So some of us do not feel the full effects of withdrawal until 30 or more days after a significant drop like that.

Can you be more specific regarding the symptoms & intensity you are experiencing right now?

Well.  Symptoms.  Trembling hands, jelly legs, insomnia, pounding heart, rapid heart beat, high blood pressure, splitting headache, lack of appetite, sometimes a little (or a LOT) speedy - like I suppose one took methamphetamine which I never have, but can imagine and have seen on tv.  Silly rambling sentences - like this one.  talking too fast.  Feel like I drank 20 cups of double espresso black, but body feels like it's been run over by a mack truck and doesn't want to do anything.

Also embarrassing things: alternating diarrhea and constipation.  Mood swings.  Feel hot and sweaty then freezing cold regardless of room temperature or activity level.  STILL....can't go out to even do groceries - overstimulates my senses.  Too loud, too bright, too many things on the shelves......ugh!

Excruciating back pain caused by complete muscle freeze or tension or whatever.  That, however, is my guideline.  When back pain is improving, as it is now, I know I am on the right track - choo!choo!

@builder, thank you for your input.  I agree that two doses would make my crappy (temporarily) life better, but if I take too large a dose at once, my heart will literally jump out of it's well-endowed chest!!!!  The pounding is insane!  So, that I have figured out.

So, I know I sound like a basket case, but really, I am not.  My brain is working fine, sense of humour intact and generally very happy to be alive  :D!

Yes, I have read that the metabolites of Valium can stay in the body for a very long time indeed.  Can still be detected in hair follicles 90 days after last dose, although will no longer be present in urine or blood.

I'm assuming that the rapid taper 20mg to 1mg will just require a longer adjustment period.  Kind of makes sense, you think?

Also I looked at the taper that is in this thread, and I reckon I could copy it, diving in at 1mg/day.  Then .8 for x amount of days.  Then maybe .7 for x amount of days.  Or maybe, I should go from 1mg to .9 instead of .8 - how many ml would I draw out at those rates?

You advised 1.66ml - 6 times a day as starting dose.  This makes perfects sense.  But my math skills are not superb, so I would have a hard time figuring out how many ml in .9mg, .8mg, .7mg etc.

But, I bet YOU know, lol.  I sure don't  :idiot:.  Would you like to take a stab at it?  Would appreciate it very much.