Diagnosed with Schizotypal dissorder

[Pu...]

I was diagnosed with schizotypal disorder today. That of course being my first sentence because holy crap really!!!! I am 13 months in and in shock to be honest. I almost feel relieved because finally there is a diagnosis but at the same time like what the heck. Holy crap it is nuts and what is even more nuts is that some days I am perfectly fine and great with other people, like nothing at all is wrong with me. I guess the question is what is right at this point, 13 months in. I cannot wait until this is over then I go through it and think, oh, maybe this is it?? Anyone have a similar experience.

I was diagnosed with schizotypal disorder today. That of course being my first sentence because holy crap really!!!! I am 13 months in and in shock to be honest. I almost feel relieved because finally there is a diagnosis but at the same time like what the heck. Holy crap it is nuts and what is even more nuts is that some days I am perfectly fine and great with other people, like nothing at all is wrong with me. I guess the question is what is right at this point, 13 months in. I cannot wait until this is over then I go through it and think, oh, maybe this is it?? Anyone have a similar experience.

Can you tell us what critical, empirical testing was done to confirm this "diagnosis"?

And do you believe it?

I read the wikipedia article about schizotypal disorder and I'm not convinced. This so-called disorder includes "unconventional beliefs" as a symptom, which seems very weird. At a certain point in time, psychiatrists started trying to classify everything as a disorder/disease so that other physicians would consider them as equals. The other day I read that they are trying to classify a disorder called "school refusal". Can't you just hate school or think the school system is crap without being considered mentally ill?!!

Sounds like a shiney new term for Bipolar 1. I told my psych that  I am bipolar, and he didn't believe me! So, I  had a phoney diagnosis for 15 years. These kind of things can make legal matters difficult, and can strip you of your own power. Please get a second opinion asap. Remember: a disease always needs a cure, meaning more pills. Research meds till your brain hurts. You will thank yourself in the end.  :thumbsup:

I myself have had several strange diagnoses: schizophrenia, ALS, borrelia, fibromyalgia, etc. What are you doing, it's just so crazy! But I do not believe in these diagnoses, for my part it's only withdrawal.

• 1 month later...
I'm confused. Purplejax, did you feel ridiculed? Why are we called "doctor bashers"? Does it mean we should be passive about stupid medical treatments (think lobotomy)? And who is this Scott Gaulke?