You WILL heal even extreme cases-my christmas gift to myself is my success story

[SS...]

SSRI1975

I am in such a state I can't work out what it is okay to eat.

Could you possibly make a kist of everything you were able to eat?

I have been managing porridge oats but I saw somewhere they are high gkutamate but I see you ate them.

Also I'm not sure what kind of milk alternative is okay to make porridge with?

Mostly I can't face cooked vegetables atm.

I probably need to get a nutri bullet or something to make smoothies with.

Hi Ajusta -  I had responded with my daily eating plan on page 1 but cutting and pasting it here since it's lost in a sea of responses.  It was extremely limited and i never strayed from exactly what i wrote below.  I ate that way for 5 straight months.  At month 6 i was able to add things like honey, vanilla and cinnamon back in for flavor.  but still couldn't tolerate dairy or gluten .  At month 8 - i can eat anything i want.  It was a big sacrifice and a lot of work preparing food all day long in small portions but i do believe it allowed me to heal.  I am not sure what Porridge is - i have read it can be many things - including various grains which means there could be gluten .  The only thing I ate out of a box was the oatmeal and it was an organic brand, plain steel cut oats - as long as its steel cut oats it is not gluten.  I also only ever drank water - no tea or coffee.  tea is high in histamine.    Eating this way brought my glutamate and histamine levels down tremendously.  I was getting a urine neurotransmitter test done every 3 months to track progress - its $250 out of pocket each time but it gave me peace of mind to see how i was doing.

DAILY MEAL PLAN

Breakfast - oatmeal made with unsweetened almond milk

Late morning snack - and apple or banana or a carrot

Lunch - salmon, chicken or steak  with white rice and some kind of veggie like broccoli zucchini or cauliflower - steamed or sautéed

Late afternoon snack - large bowl of kale with olive oil and sea salt

Dinner - salmon , chicken, fish or steak with a sweet potato and some kind of veggie like broccoli zucchini or cauliflower  - steamed or sautéed

When I was hungry and needed something more - i ate gluten free bagels, gluten free pretzels, bowls of cheerios, rice crispies or crispix cereal with unsweetened almond milk.  As you can see that was VERY limited.  The only thing I put on food was olive oil and sea salt for flavor.  As my healing progressed I was able to add a protein shake in - i couldn't tolerate that early on but around month 4.5 when i was so terribly thin - i added it back in - the first few days were rough - i felt very revved - but then my body and brain adjusted.  I did use small amounts of butter here and there but very very little.  I also ate eggs here and there.  This is far more carbs than i ever ate before - having things like rice and sweet potatoes but I needed something of bulk to keep me feeling full.

• Like 1

Thank you!

Porridge in the UK is what you call Oatmeal!

I'm trying to work out if I xan make it with Rice Milk. I had been using Lactose Free Dairy milk or Soya prior to withdrawal.

I see you used Almond but I read that nuts are a ni no and wondered if rice milk might be better?

Also I see low glutamate lists ban broccoli but you found that okay?

Also why white rice? I got some black rice because I read in a low histermine site that was better?

My bloke is going shopping after he finishes work so I will sort a list for him.

I pretty much ate like this prior to withdrawal anyway so it won't be hard.

i think everyone is a little different and you just need to pick a course and stick with it.  when you read about food allergies - its amazing how much of it is actually psychologically driven.  if we believe the food will harm us- it will.  so - i did my best to research what seemed like low histamine foods.  i also happen to have the CBS gene mutation which means i need to avoid foods that cause sulfur..... well - when you cross check low histamine and low sulfur - they all conflict....... so -  i just did my best to pick a limited number of things and stuck it out regardless and  all the reactions stopped.    i can't remember anymore since a bit of time has passed but for some reason i remember reading things like brown rice and quinoa were problematic but i honestly can't recall why....  i think rice milk is probably a decent option - certainly better than dairy and soy should almost always be avoided - its on the list of neurotoxic foods...... certain populations that are born and raised with soy do ok with it but most populations will have problems with it - for instance if you are already estrogen dominant - you don't want to eat soy!

Personally, I think soy is fine. What is the issue with soy? It's obviously healthier than cow's milk, and it can be a healthy and inexpensive source of protein and calcium -- especially for people who lean towards a non-meat diet. Depending on which source of information you look to, you'll see that just about any food can be vilified or embraced.

Who knows?

I used to buy frozen green soya beans - they are nice.

I suspect it's probably the fermented stuff I need to stay away from for now but then some fermented foods like Kefier are known to fight all kinds of diseases.

I do know I feel better when I take an anti histermine but that could be because it's sedating rather than it's anti histermine properties.

I had yummy food last night - organic chicken with mixed organic roasted veg with ginger, garlic and olive oil.

Gonna make roasted veg again tonight with white fish and lemon. Yum!

Think I will start a thread on healthy food so others can join in if they want.

Dinner sounds excellent, Ajusta! Can I come?! I think you're talking about endamame, and yes, they're healthy. You might want to be careful with antihistamines, though, because like benzodiazepines, they're known as vestibular suppressants and can cause balance problems. They're not meant for long-term use.

i completely agree that there are many varying sources of information out there -so - you just have to go with your own gut and personal experience-  what i listed worked for me - it may not work for others. 

i put the link for foods that tip the glutamate / GABA balance in the wrong direction as well as in it - there is a list that outlines foods that may inflame nerves.  My whole family follows this and everyone is extremely healthy.  both my nieces have ADHD and its been managed 100% naturally by following these guidelines.  Apparently soy can stimulate glutamate.

Take it or leave it :)    Since I work in science and research - i can tell you running studies is extremely expensive ( we are talking millions not thousands, to have validated databases and doctors offices to run the trials, etc., )-  which is why medication is so expensive - the development cost gets passed onto the consumer. so - people often ask for "where are the studies" when anyone posts about supplements or diets - the fact is - no one is going to do those studies because they simply don't have the money...... so - we all just have to do our best to read information and take away what we can for ourselves.  In the long run - none of these foods are really a problem for the "average person" - but for people who have brain injuries or any kind of imbalance - some caution may be needed and once the healing happens / issues resolve - the adherence to the strictness of the diet isnt necessary anymore.  that has certainly been the case for me - i can now eat anything i want after strictly adhering to this program for 5-6 months.

http://www.dramyyasko.com/wp-content/files_flutter/1279663001Neuroprovokers8.pdf

Dinner sounds excellent, Ajusta! Can I come?! I think you're talking about endamame, and yes, they're healthy. You might want to be careful with antihistamines, though, because like benzodiazepines, they're known as vestibular suppressants and can cause balance problems. They're not meant for long-term use.

You'd be most welcome!

Yeah I know about the anti histermine. It's the only thing allowing me to get any sleep at all atm though.

Thanks, Ajusta! I'll be over shortly for dinner. Can I bring something?!  :-*

On the issue of antihistamines, bear in mind that they diminish the quality of sleep, in that they interfere with sleep depth. They can cause dizziness, of course, and reduced cognition and increased sleepiness. You can also build up tolerance to them over time. Those things are all similar to the way benzos work.

https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/495339

Have you tried melatonin? Or "sleep hygiene"? That has to do with going to bed and getting up at the same times every day, keeping the room dark and cool at night, using relaxation techniques, etc. The article I shared has some info about melatonin, so it might be worth looking at. There's also a section on valerian, but the word on the street -- or online, at least -- is that certain herbs can affect GABA, and therefore, might best be avoided for post-benzo people.

I'm so glad to hear that you healed after that incredible story. That was a damn lot to go through.

I've been struggling hardcore that that manual breathing issue that you mentioned. I've had it for a good 5 months now. I can distract from it and forget about it, but it always comes back multiple times a day or when it pops into my head. It's like I just can't stop controlling it when I'm thinking about it or idle.

How did yours go away? Did it just fade on it's own?

the manual breathing was definitely scary - it went on the whole 3 months of withdrawal round 1 and only stopped when i resumed the valium - of course at the time i didnt make any connection to the valium....... dear lord but at the time it was unfathomable to me that a medication i took precisely according to the instructions could have caused it.    for withdrawal round 2 - it only lasted about 8 weeks but i had cold turkeyed off 10mg valium that time not 30mg.  it looks like you were taking several CNS meds and for a period of time a bit longer than me.  so - i wouldnt be surprised if you have to endure it a bit longer.  coming off an AD and benzo means 100% of your brain was hit  - so - just try your best to be patient.  I know 6 years ago i tried an AD for only 3 months and went through a horrific 3 month work disability - again - never made the connection to the AD until what happened with the benzo.  all the same things happened back then except the seizures, cardia issues and hallucinations - it was pretty damn bad.  i think some of us are just incredibly sensitive to these meds because of our genetics. 

for round 2 - it did just stop one day - one day i realized it was gone - i don't think i did anything conscious to resolve it - thankfully it just went away on its own.  while it was going on - distraction was really the only thing that helped. 

I would heartily agree that the combo of benzos and SSRIs can be quite problematic for some. I'm one of them. Quite some time ago, I found a medical journal article that compared the withdrawal symptoms from benzos and SSRIs, and the (very long) lists were extremely similar. It was shocking, actually!

SSR1975, what an inspiration you are.  So happy that your healing was to quick.  I guess my Vagas Nerve must be the size of Texas from all the inflammation and I never attributed some of my head pain/burning to glutamate.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  Wishing you all the best.F4M

the manual breathing was definitely scary - it went on the whole 3 months of withdrawal round 1 and only stopped when i resumed the valium - of course at the time i didnt make any connection to the valium....... dear lord but at the time it was unfathomable to me that a medication i took precisely according to the instructions could have caused it.    for withdrawal round 2 - it only lasted about 8 weeks but i had cold turkeyed off 10mg valium that time not 30mg.  it looks like you were taking several CNS meds and for a period of time a bit longer than me.  so - i wouldnt be surprised if you have to endure it a bit longer.  coming off an AD and benzo means 100% of your brain was hit  - so - just try your best to be patient.  I know 6 years ago i tried an AD for only 3 months and went through a horrific 3 month work disability - again - never made the connection to the AD until what happened with the benzo.  all the same things happened back then except the seizures, cardia issues and hallucinations - it was pretty damn bad.  i think some of us are just incredibly sensitive to these meds because of our genetics. 

for round 2 - it did just stop one day - one day i realized it was gone - i don't think i did anything conscious to resolve it - thankfully it just went away on its own.  while it was going on - distraction was really the only thing that helped.

Glad to hear that it just goes away at some point. I feel like I've had it for so long at this point, it has just become an unfortunate part of my life. I don't know if it's linked to anxiety or what, but I can't imagine living with this manual breathing for the rest of my life. I even have it when I don't feel like I'm in a panic or anything, it just sort of is how I am now. Really hope to follow in your footsteps!

I cook up whole grains in a large crock pot and then when cooked overnight, I eat some in the a.m. and refrigerate the rest for breakfasts the remaining week.  I vary it from week to week for variety in taste and nutrients.  I use gluten-free grains and now I notice your comment about low histamine foods.  I just looked it up online and found that there are many foods out there that fit that category, so meals can be more interesting and nutritious these days with the internet info.  I will put different fruits in my hot cereal and enjoy.  Millet is an excellent grain-like seed.  What do you think of these?  Quinoa, millet, amaranth, buckwheat, etc.?  Here's a site I found.  What do you think of it?  http://www.alustforlife.com/physical-health/nutrition-physical-health/histamine-and-anti-histamine-foods

Hi Lynn M - seems like a pretty good list.  I would disagree - though - with her recommendation for tea of any kind - it all causes histamine and i found this to be true- i tried many and had terrible reactions.  Also - she has apple cider vinegar on there but it's highly fermented and also caused terrible reactions for me.  so - it's a bit of trial and error for each of us.  in terms of what you are doing - the issue i see - is from everything i read - pre-prepared food - will begin to develop  histamine quickly - even if its not a food that had histamine in it .  so - that is where i became overwhelmed and exhausted - i used to cook up things in bulk and then reheat and realized that was apparently not a good thing.  so - i had to buy and freeze a lot of stuff in small portions and just cook right before eating :( ....... it was quite a challenge but by month 6 i could tolerate more than i had in a while and by month 8 i was back to eating whatever i wanted! 

Thank you for posting your story. I have a lot of the same symptoms you had during your withdrawl. I was on Xanax, then ativan, now valium for the taper. I have 1.6mg of valium left to taper and the lower I get the worse the mental symptoms are. I've come to accept that this is benzo withdrawl and nothing else but my mind keeps me worried that I'm going to end up going crazy. It's the dumbest thing ever. The thoughts come and go. I eat fairly well, no dairy, caffeine, etc. I don't take supplements because I've heard mixed things about them. I am on Zoloft though so I've got to taper off that once I'm done with the valium. A lot of the symptoms you posted though I had to screen shot that way I could look back and go see look it's a symptom and not me! One question. I do have though is since you had a lot of symptoms also, once you stopped the benzo, how long did it take to notice a difference, and did you ever get discouraged? Thank you!

Hi Natalie - best wishes for your continued progress to finish your taper.  Our minds tell us terrible things during withdrawal.  Just remind yourself every day - none of it is true - you will have a much better life off benzos once you get through the healing phase - which - unfortunately - is really in the tune of months not days or weeks.  if this was just a chemical imbalance - the healing would happen pretty fast but this is a situation where the brain structure has actually been altered and I don't think there is any magic trick for restoring the anatomy too quickly - other than doing what I did - which was to support my body in every way possible to take the burden off it so that healing could happen more quickly.  there were many days I felt discouraged - pretty much every single day of the first 4.5 months of withdrawal round 2 and on 3 different occasions I came within an inch of taking my life - it got that bad.  I thank god every day I had the strength to persevere through it because others kept encouraging me it would get better.  with how severe my symptoms were - it became almost impossible to envision recovering but I had to force myself into a positive mindset daily despite the horrific symptoms and horrors I saw in the mirror, etc., 

all I can say is I'm a few days shy of my 9 month anniversary and life is truly amazing.  had I taken the approach of time will heal - i'm not sure I would be where I am right now.  I do believe time will heal but I wasn't in a position to wait 2 yrs for that .  I personally don't believe supplements harm and had i not resumed my supplement regimen - i'm pretty sure i wouldn't be where i am right now.  i did carefully research everything to ensure it wasn't going to hit the GABA receptors - as it is important to avoid anything that may do that.

i kept reading books like The Secret to remind myself that my mindset was key to healing.  in the early days - it was impossible to feel positive so i aimed for feeling neutral and then after that - i began insisting to myself life would get better - and it did.

wishing you the very best.  no question - this is likely the toughest thing any of us will ever face in life but once you get through it - you will have a whole new perspective and life will truly be beautiful.

just wanted to let everyone know i am taking a break from BB the month of march - i have a lot of travel and some personal matters to attend to.  i get tons of emails with questions about what i ate and did to heal so quickly - i feel all the pertinent information is in the success story or in responses to questions over these few pages - so hopefully you can find the information you need during my absence.  will check back in April.

just wanted to say i took my trip - handled a 4 hour plane trip - days on the beach/heat/sun which i couldn't handle last year - went into a night club with booming music / strobe lights, etc., and did FINE!!!!! didnt make my tinnitus any worse.. amazing to be healed.... now getting ready for my next trip in less than a week.