Depression and weight loss

[fi...]

Greetings,

I am over 2 years off of klonopin but have been hit with bad depression the last 6 months or so and have lost about 20 pounds.  I was already skinny as it was and this wave has hit me hard.  Was just wondering if anyone has found anything that helps relieve the depression and anxiety?  I'm tempted to go back on it and paxil because of the anxiety and extremely low weight.  I,m forcing myself to eat now even though I have a hard time digesting anything.

Thanks!

Greetings,

I am over 2 years off of klonopin but have been hit with bad depression the last 6 months or so and have lost about 20 pounds.  I was already skinny as it was and this wave has hit me hard.  Was just wondering if anyone has found anything that helps relieve the depression and anxiety?  I'm tempted to go back on it and paxil because of the anxiety and extremely low weight.  I,m forcing myself to eat now even though I have a hard time digesting anything.

Thanks!

So very sorry to read you are suffering still.  Personally, being off all drugs as much as possible helps me most along with a totally natural healthy varied diet, daily exercise, coffee pick-me-ups, Culturelle Digestive Health probiotic 2x daily for that mind gut connection, fish oil, and a natural food based multi-vitamin supplement without high percentages of anything (easy on stomach as I've had gut issues pre-benzos for years), also take a food based magnesium supp at night but that is because I take 20 mg. Protonix every other day which depletes my magnesium and my dr. told me to.  Trying an Alpha-Stim device now for epidural cortisone shot induced depression, have no idea if it will help yet, but at least it's not another drug.  Then again, if I feel better, it may just be the cortisone wearing off too, so it would be hard to rate the Alpha-Stim.  Alpha-Stim supposedly can help depression, anxiety, insomnia, and pain.  However, you need a health professional to approve you for the purchase of one (at least I did when I bought it).  Cost me $1,200 too.

Inhaling pure lavender oil has helped me with anxiety (not early withdrawal terror anxiety, but regular).  Chamomile tea and raw honey has induced sleep for me (not in my early days of withdrawal, but when I got better), so probably good for anxiety too for me as insomnia can be anxiety too sometimes I think.

Thanks.  Unfortunately I can take very few supplements and cannot exercise.  I may try b12 and a probiotics to see if that helps.  All I've been able to tolerate recently is Brown rice.  Even bananas and Apple sauce cause digestive distress.

Thanks.  Unfortunately I can take very few supplements and cannot exercise.  I may try b12 and a probiotics to see if that helps.  All I've been able to tolerate recently is Brown rice.  Even bananas and Apple sauce cause digestive distress.

That's real rough.  :-[  I take Culturelle for Digestive Health probiotic because I read it is the highest rated and safest.  My doctor loved it too.  Wishing you the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  Do you know if culturelle is dairy-free?

The Culturelle Digestive Health probiotic (as they make others) is dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free according to the box.  If you live in the U.S., I always find it at CVS.  Sometimes have trouble finding the Digestive Health one elsewhere.

Forgot to mention, I also drink Lifeway kefir daily 1-2x (for even more probiotic strains).  That's not dairy-free, but 99% lactose-free.  Again, if you live in the U.S., I find that at Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and WalMart.

Thanks

You're welcome, fishingguy.  This may sound lame, but I just had a big tummy ache (too much coffee and spaghetti sauce), read somewhere pineapple can help.  No joke, ate about three big slices, poof!, tummy ache gone.

Here's an article on it.  Pineapple contains a digestive enzyme called Bromelain.  See:  https://www.livestrong.com/article/541370-does-pineapple-improve-digestion/

@RX ...really interested to see if the Alpha-Stim helps at all. I see a psychiatrist in 2 weeks. Because I've had depression through this whole experience going on 3 years (15 months in withdrawal) there is no doubt that yet another medication will be prescribed or they will suggest ECT because I haven't had any luck with AD's.

colley, my heart goes out to you too.  Depression is such rough stuff.  :-[ 

But again, hard to judge the Alpha-Stim from me because of the epidural cortisone complication.  Never know if it was cortisone wearing off or the Alpha-Stim helping if this current depression goes away while using it.  I know the epidural cortisone caused depression for me because I crawled out of benzo/benzo withdrawal induced depression (possibly PPI Protonix induced too, thus cutting back to 20 mg. of Protonix every other day) and had zero depression before getting it and became depressed immediately after the shot (no personal life factors involved in depression lifting after cutting back on PPI or depression coming back).  Even my doctor says epidural cortisone does a major number on mood like that, much more so than cortisone injected directly into limbs.

The Alpha-Stim has zapped away some migraines for me, so it does something and you can feel it.  You attach these clips with wires attached to Alpha-Stim unit to your earlobes.  Feels like a very subtle tapping electric shock feeling, but it does not hurt me.  The unit is portable and you can even clip it on to your clothes and walk around hands-free with it.  If you crank it up too high, it will make you dizzy, so it definitely does something to your head.

I'm now going back to my BCM-95 too.  If you or others reading this do not already know, BCM-95 is a highly concentrated form of the Indian spice turmeric/curcumin.  It has helped with depression before for me as far as the activating part goes (in other words, helping me get up and go to get stuff done), but for me, because it can be stimulating, it can make me feel cranky if I take too much.  It can also hurt my stomach and give me diarrhea if I take too much, so I order the CuraMed fizzy tabs from the Terry Naturally company online and break them into small pieces and dissolve in water and sip up with a straw (as it can stick to the glass dissolved).  Terry Naturally company sells Curamin and CuraMed.  CuraMed is the BCM-95 formula for depression and other inflammation (as depression is considered brain inflammation by some).  Curamin is the Terry Naturally formula for pain and other stuff, similar names both with BCM-95, but you don't want to confuse them.  I checked Terry Naturally CuraMed out with ConsumerLab (a supplement safety watchdog company) and it was approved.  For some, it helps digestive issues too and has a whole bunch of other purported health benefits.  Because of my digestive issues, I like the fizzy tabs as I fear the soft gel and capsule form may take longer or be harder to dissolve in my gut.  I notice an instant reaction after drinking the fizzy tab, so I doubt this stuff has to build up in your system like meds do.  So, if BCM-95 works for you, I bet you'll know right away.  I only mention the Terry Naturally online brand because I cannot find BCM-95 anywhere in stores.  Here's an article on it:  https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bcm-95-targets-anxiety-and-depression-positive-results-for-natural-dosing-of-curcumin-for-depression-602417745.html

Just read apple cider vinegar helps depression too, so back to that too.  I do notice I feel better when I eat salads dressed with it.  Here's the science behind it:  https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/12/06/the-surprising-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar