Weight gain and huge belly bloat!

[Th...]

So I gained about 20 pounds after being on Clonazepam for a few years, then I gained 20 more pounds in one year after being on valium!

I really do look pregnant and have had many people ask when I am due. So embarrassing. It is 80% in the stomach..very bloated. My arms look slim.

I have never had trouble with weight gain in my life or bloating. I thought that withdrawing would make it better, but I went on the scale and gained another few pounds. OMG, when will this stop??

Its bad enough, feeling ill and anxious every day, but to deal with this too seems like a real kick in the pants.

My doctor said that you should not gain weight or bloat on benzos, that it must be because I am getting older.  But to look 7 mos pregnant??  :-\ I have even had one person argue with me and insist that I am mistaken - I am pregnant and I just don't realize it yet!? Or better yet, I had a woman ask my kids if they are excited about mummy's new baby. I wanted to crawl under a rock.

Anybody else have weight gain or bloating after long term benzo use? If yes, how long to lose the belly?

I don't know about long-term use, but there is such a thing as "benzo belly" that is very, very common while tapering. The body swells around the middle, resulting in looking pregnant. I had this myself, and I gained about 14 pounds. Rest assured, it WILL go away. Mine did. It is NOT because you're getting older. Many people, young and old, have this. It's a part of withdrawal/recovery from benzos.

So I gained about 20 pounds after being on Clonazepam for a few years, then I gained 20 more pounds in one year after being on valium!

I really do look pregnant and have had many people ask when I am due. So embarrassing. It is 80% in the stomach..very bloated. My arms look slim.

I have never had trouble with weight gain in my life or bloating. I thought that withdrawing would make it better, but I went on the scale and gained another few pounds. OMG, when will this stop??

Its bad enough, feeling ill and anxious every day, but to deal with this too seems like a real kick in the pants.

My doctor said that you should not gain weight or bloat on benzos, that it must be because I am getting older.  But to look 7 mos pregnant??  :-\ I have even had one person argue with me and insist that I am mistaken - I am pregnant and I just don't realize it yet!? Or better yet, I had a woman ask my kids if they are excited about mummy's new baby. I wanted to crawl under a rock.

Anybody else have weight gain or bloating after long term benzo use? If yes, how long to lose the belly?

Valium certainly doesn’t cause weight gain, rather weight loss. Valium tapering is likely to cause weight gain if you’re eating to reduce WD sxs, like anxiety. Or taking meds to assist your taper. Which increase appetite. And yes, as Terry38 mentioned, benzo belly is a WD side effect.

Maybe try some calming non-addictive supplements if you feel that anxiety makes you eat more. There is magnesium, vitamins B, lemon balm, hops, L-Theanine, passion flower, valerian root. You should consult these with your pdoc, cause some are said to affect GABA in a way. I took a GABA supplement for mos, wasted lots of money. Didn’t help at all, so I CTed without any sxs. I think all this talk about supplements being addictive is a fairy tale.

A great book on supplements and foods that help you with different mental problems, like overeating. Is "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. I recently ordered Chromium Picolinate 200 mg, which reduces cravings for sweets. My mother, who is a doctor and, likes to contradict everything I say or do. Said it causes cancer. I used to take it in the past. Here are some research results whether or not it causes cancer. You may ask your GP or do your own net research. I used to take it in the past with good results and haven’t got cancer.

A great solution is buying a stationary bike and riding it at home. Or taking long walks in the evening if you suffer from agoraphobia and have someone / a dog to walk with. A proper diet, exercise and mindset are probably the most important. I’m sorry your weight makes you feel rotten. Don’t give up and I’m sure you’ll manage to lose weight :thumbsup:

I must clarify, I am pretty careful about what I eat. I don't even like sweets. I don't eat pasta. I find I bloat even after eating salad. It's crazy.

I am not as active as I would like. I need a support person when I go for a walk and that person is often my hubbie, who is busy. I do have an elliptical machine, but its just not the same as going out.

Another thing I noticed, is I get short of breath very easily - I never had this before the benzos either. One time after walking up a long flight of stairs I had an anxiety attack because I could not catch my breath. Sometimes I get this without exercise too. It actually makes me frightened of working out.

Shortness of breath, like 'benzo belly', are both very common in benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery.  I had both of these symptoms, and as you've noticed, they become more apparent after eating.

These will go away with time.  Knowing this is a normal part of the withdrawal and healing process may give you some reassurance when they happen.

:smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

Aww thanks. Yes I'd say the shortness of breath is a terrible symptom. I seem to get it if I am nervous or even fighting a physical element like a migraine or a cold.

Trying to hold down a FT job and raise two kids is very challenging. I am very close to throwing in the towel.

There are only so many panic attacks I can take.It seems a daily thing. They don't last long, but they beat the stuffing out of me!

Thank you Challis99 for sticking around to encourage those of us that are still suffering. Thanks to the others who have also chimed in.