Remeron Question - Need Help

[So...]

Hi.  I am nearly 11 1/2 free of ativan and have been struggling quite mightily the last couple of weeks.  I think I had a little virus that popped up 2 weeks ago since I had major soar throat - but went to the doctor and no strep.  About 2 weeks ago is when I started not sleeping as well as I usually do.  I have been taking @3.75 mg or a bit lower for quite some time.  I could be going through an awful wave but I am wondering if Remeron is not working?  My symptoms typically abate sometime @4 p.m. but these last couple of weeks, they are not subsiding even at night.  My question is do I go up from 3.75 mg to 7.5 mg in the Remeron to see if it helps? Could Remeron stop working all of a sudden? Or could it be just a monstrous wave that is affecting me?  I talked to a pharmacist and a psychiatrist last week and asked about whether at 3.75 mg is there any sertogenic effects to that dose and both said yes a little but mostly works on the histamine receptors.  Looking for positive comments please.  Thanks everyone.  I will post this on the general medication forum as well.  SoulMan

• 1 year later...

SoulMan,

I got your Pm but am unable to respond to you by PM. I so want to help you!

I understand your anger and frustration. That is quite normal for anyone trying to get off benzos and other psych drugs.

I am going to find a more recent post of yours and try to reach you that way.

east (Annie)

• 2 weeks later...
The Remeron might not be working because you're taking such a small dose. The smallest dose prescribed for anxiety and depression is 15mg. Taking anything lower than that would be only for if you need help with sleeping at night, since lower doses are more sedating.I currently take 15mg and masks my waves with about 90% success with only a few symptoms remaining. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

"Could Remeron stop working all of a sudden? Or could it be just a monstrous wave that is affecting me?"

I can almost guarantee you that you are in a wave.  Remeron will not stop suddenly; lack of efficacy happens gradually. It is not "working" because your CNS is destabilized.  I have had the same issue with trazodone:  when I am in a wave, it doesn't work as well, but as soon as I stabilize, it "works".

3.5mg is very effective for sleep, don't let the small dosage fool you. I suggest you wait until the wave is over, though easier said than done.  Also, there is a support group for remeron taperers, guided by a very knowledgeable moderator, now-power.  He could give you specific guidance; I suggest you join the group for support.

Best wishes.

I’ve taken 7.5 for 4 nights now and only noticed a medicated sleep the first night. After that I don’t sleep. I feel really groggy and confused in the morning. I don’t know guys I’m new to drugs and can feel them in my brain. I don’t know how people feel normal on this stuff honestly.

I’ve taken 7.5 for 4 nights now and only noticed a medicated sleep the first night. After that I don’t sleep. I feel really groggy and confused in the morning. I don’t know guys I’m new to drugs and can feel them in my brain. I don’t know how people feel normal on this stuff honestly.

But, the real question is...do you feel better!?

If the answer is no, then I wouldn't take it.

It will probably take longer than 4 days to see the A/D effects. Maybe a bump up in dose. 7.5mg works well for a lot of people, but 15 is the usual and sometimes more. It takes the brain time to adjust.

The Remeron is to help with anxiety, insomnia and depression, if you have that. If you don't want to take any other medications, then you shouldn't. This helped me when I was reinstated and tapering. I did not stay on it for too long. It sure did help. I don't advocate using a lot of drugs during withdrawal, but we are all different and some folks do well with something to help them during the taper. Even natural supplements help some, but do nothing for others. It is trial and error. You have to make a decision and go with it. I will tell you that the main thing in withdrawal is giving it time and not rushing it. There is no magic pill to take the place of withdrawal. If there were, we would all have taken it.

I’ve heard a lot of buddies talking about staying on AD for a couple of years after last dose of benzo to make sure you’re over acute stage of withdrawal. Is this true?

I’ve heard a lot of buddies talking about staying on AD for a couple of years after last dose of benzo to make sure you’re over acute stage of withdrawal. Is this true?

It might help some people. I was wondering did you cut from 1.75mg to 1mg at once. I see where you up dosed than cut down to 1mg. I think a lot of your symptoms are from a too fast withdrawal.

Is 4 days enough to see if it works? Trying to use AD as a bridge. I feel like I have concrete in my head

As a sleep aid, the effect is immediate.

But as an AD/anxiolytic, it usually take 14-21 days to reach full effect.  And there will NO AD/anxio effect at 7.5mg.

If you don't like the Remeron then don't take it. Again, you cut to large and too fast. Your brain needs time to heal. I hope you will be able to stabilize. It does take Remeron a while to be effective for A/D. I am sure Builder is right in that you need a higher dose to achieve the effect that you need. I did not need that much, but I am different in the way I respond to meds. You might want to bump it up and see how you do. The main thing is to make a decision and give it a try, or not.