thestar, Dec 15/17, Apotex billionaire Barry Sherman and wife Honey found dead

[be...]

Sherman, the 75-year-old founder of generic drug giant Apotex, was one of the richest men in the country with an estimated net worth of $4.6 billion...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/12/15/police-investigating-deaths-at-apotex-founder-barry-shermans-mansion.html

Apotex generic drugs:  https://www.drugs.com/manufacturer/apotex-corp-22.html

Apotex website:  http://www.apotex.com/us/en/default.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds weird to me.

How they could end up hanging from a railing by the basement pool of their North York home, with no sign of forced entry.

Not by an OD, I think. ::)

• 4 weeks later...

This part seems crucial, and it would probably explain why there was no sign of forced entry. The key was in a lock box.  ???

Gomes said police are looking into anyone who accessed the Sherman home — which was up for sale — including those who used a lock box. She said investigators have a list of people who had access to the home and it was “significant.”

“Anybody who has had access to that home in the last so many weeks and months leading up to that weekend and those days? Important to us, absolutely,” Gomes said.

Yes, maybe we'll hear an update again soon.  There are many suspects and lots of surveillance video.

In the meantime, (I'm sure you saw this Lapis, my CBC-loving friend  :P) here is the documentary from CBC's, The Fifth Estate that played on TV last night.  I think this may be only available for viewing in Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/

Latest Episode - February 2, 2018 The Mystery of the Sherman Murders

Barry Sherman was Canada’s top pharmaceutical executive, worth over $4 billion dollars. His wife, Honey was a philanthropist who raised millions for charities. They were loved and admired for their success and generosity. But Barry also had a long list of enemies which had grown over time as he battled rivals in courtrooms and boardrooms, always determined to win, whatever the cost… So when the couple were found strangled in their Toronto home in December, the whispers began. Did someone really hate them enough to kill them? Was it a professional hit, an act of bitter vengeance from someone known to the Shermans, or was there another explanation? The Fifth Estate uncovers new leads in the mystery of the Sherman murders.

I'll watch it tonight, benzohno. I was taking a much-needed break from online TV viewing. I watch a flick on Netflix! Nice.

I did, however, watch a news clip and listen to our local CBC Radio morning program as Fifth Estate host Bob McKeown talked about Kerry Winter, Barry Sherman's cousin. Wow! Um....interesting! There are other words, but I want to wait and watch the program. The guy almost implicated himself in the murder, failed the polygraph test and said some pretty weird things. I'm not sure what to make of it. Suffice to say, he's probably a "person of interest". I hope the police solve this case sooner rather than later. It's seriously creepy.

Good for you, you watched a movie last night.  Nice!

Yeah, he was pretty interesting, Kerry Winter, very disinhibited, we couldn't help but laugh out loud at one point.  I think you'll enjoy it.

I love the Fifth Estate, but sometimes the subject matter is too intense for me. I've avoided watching a few episodes so that I wouldn't have those visuals in my mind. I really want to see this one, though.

I know, I've purposely not watched the last few, including the one in Dec. about those CIA experiments in the 1950's on psychiatric patients, in Ontario? I think.  I have it saved on DVD, but I don't know if I can bring myself watch it.  It makes me upset just thinking about it.

I found it on Youtube.  Hopefully this works for those interested who are outside of Canada.

The Mystery of the Sherman Murders:

If that doesn't work, try this one:

I just watched the Fifth Estate. Very interesting! That little teaser yesterday featuring the cousin Kerry Winter had a nice little twist in the program, didn't it?! Omigosh! 

I really hope the police figure what happened soon. The family has already been through so much. Totally devastating.

I never watch cop TV shows, but this whole thing seems like a TV murder mystery. I want to know who dunnit. I guess this is why people are so intrigued by such programs.

It does sound like he had lots of enemies, so it could be any number of people against whom he litigated. I'm not sure what to make of this cousin dude. Very strange.

The cousin dude, his presentation might have had  something to do with the past crack cocaine use, I'm thinking.  Quite a character.  He should have his own TV show.

Yes, Barry Sherman started all sorts of litigation.  Apotex too was involved in more than 1,000 court cases I read here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42864082

Apotex has been involved in more than a thousand court cases in Canada, using the legal system to aggressively challenge drug patents.

"It definitely makes it the most litigious pharma company in Canada and probably the most litigious company period," says University of Ottawa law professor Amir Attaran.

"It's fair to observe the way he did business he would have had many enemies," he says.

Then there was the thing with Dr. Nancy Olivieri and falsified drug trials at Toronto's Sick Kids Hospital.  I remember reading about that here on BB awhile back, not knowing then about Barry Sherman and Apotex.  There's a little about it in above link and elsewhere.

Anyways, very interesting.  Will have to wait and see what happens.