Drugmaker paid doctors with problem records to promote its pill

[80...]

[80...]

It absolutely infuriates me, at a personal level.

My mother-in-law was forced onto Aricept, and later, Namenda. Aricept caused such cruel symptoms of agonizing distress that they considered adding benzos. Luckily we were able to intervene (eventually) and get her a ‘trial’ off of these evil drugs, and her symptoms cleared up – but not before she had spent three years in the unimaginable suffering of pain, agitation and paranoia. She does not even have Alzheimer’s, but rather primary progressive aphasia. Aricept is not remotely useful for aphasia.

She just turned 98, and can no longer speak at all, but at least she is in a state of nondrugged peace now, and clearly happy to be surrounded by family. Too bad her last years of speech were devoted to explaining her severe suffering while her docs said, “Now, now . . .”  >:(

So sorry to hear that Leslie. It has all the sinister elements of a horror film, where the people in control have a messiah complex.

Glad to hear things were put right  :smitten:

It absolutely infuriates me, at a personal level.

My mother-in-law was forced onto Aricept, and later, Namenda. Aricept caused such cruel symptoms of agonizing distress that they considered adding benzos. Luckily we were able to intervene (eventually) and get her a ‘trial’ off of these evil drugs, and her symptoms cleared up – but not before she had spent three years in the unimaginable suffering of pain, agitation and paranoia. She does not even have Alzheimer’s, but rather primary progressive aphasia. Aricept is not remotely useful for aphasia.

She just turned 98, and can no longer speak at all, but at least she is in a state of nondrugged peace now, and clearly happy to be surrounded by family. Too bad her last years of speech were devoted to explaining her severe suffering while her docs said, “Now, now . . .”  >:(

When you say she was forced into taking these drugs, did the doctor refuse to see her again unless she took them? What did the doctor say? I'm really angry about all of this. I'm reading a book called Undoctored, by a cardiologist, and wow, do I see "health" care as being an utter sham. It's a racket just like any other business, in it for the money. And doctors, I found out, are mostly clueless about the drugs they dispense. There are simply too many on the market, and more waiting to come forward, and doctors often think (erroneously) that the newer drugs will work better than the older ones. I think when you're in hospitals, you practically have no choice but to take the drugs, never mind what they are. In nursing homes, the same. But if it's my doctor, and I don't want to take a drug, I either will not take it or will go to a different doctor.

Thank goodness you were there to intervene for your mother and were able to show the doctor that the pills were really bad for her!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: