please read! little success - benzo article will be published in my country

[in...]

hello buddies. had to share that with you!

after long thinking, i decided to write a letter to a local news paper in Austria. I told them about my story and about other people being tortured by benzos. the lady immediately responded and said she wants to talk to a psychiatrist first and will message me if they will publish something about benzos or not.

so 2 months went by..

aaaaand she called.

she said the psychiatrist signs everything i say about benzo withdrawal - EVERYTHING. she says it is absolut awful how some doctors prescribe benzos and that there are a lot of non benzo wise doctors out there. she also said that only "a minority" has PAWS after a long time BUT the minority is BIG if you look at the statistics how much people are addicted to benzos! i can't believe that i find a psychiatrist who says that WE ARE RIGHT!!

i talked about an hour with the journalist and i told her about benzo buddies, about the symptoms, about the way my doc prescribed me benzos,about my cold turkey. i told here everything imaginable. she absolutely understands. she said she knows someone who was addicted to heroin and benzos. this person said that heroin wd was nothing compared to the benzo wd.

so.. the article will be published in some days!!

The psychiatrist also said that windows and waves are totally normal AND THAT IT WILL GO AWAY WITH TIME, your brain will heal and will function again. it can take a long time to rebuild the damage benzos have done but eventually it will all go away.

TAKE CARE GUYS, love y'all.  :smitten:

Its hard to believe that there are still so many doctors who don't believe this is really happening to us. Validation is something we all seek. To be told over and over that this can't possibly be what's wrong with us is truly one of the worse parts of it all. Hopefully more doctors will start to recognize this for what it really is. Also good hearing from someone who acknowledges it that it will eventually go away.

Excellent work, intrepide! Good for you! I'll look forward to seeing the article here. I hope Google Translate can do a good job of translating it into English.

Well done and a thank you from all the "it must be you" crowd. I was lucky that I found a doctor early on who did research for me and now believes in benzo withdrawal.

Please post a link to the article when it is published.

2trusting

Oh, this is very good news, intrepide!! Congratulations on your courage to do this, and I'm so glad you received a positive response! It'll be good to read - looking forward to it!

thank you very much buddies for your replies, i am really happy that i could achieve that.

here is the article:

http://www.tt.com/panorama/gesellschaft/13719837-91/brief-aus-der-entzugshölle.csp

as you know my english is not the best, and today i really don't have the energy to translate it...

so i hope you can understand what the translation says.

THIS IS FROM GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Recently, an e-mail has reached the TT editorial office, in which a 20-year-old student (name of the Red. Known) reports on the stony path from drug addiction. With her story, the young woman wants to shake up.

"Most of all, I want more people to be spared from what I've been going through for over a year," she wrote. During a telephone conversation it becomes clear: After a "cold, hard, and unbearable withdrawal" the nightmare is not yet over for the Tyrolean.

It started with a panic attack a year and a half ago. This was triggered by private worries and stress in the university and in work. The then 19-year-old did what everyone should do in the situation: She went to the family doctor.

He shared the ordination with a psychiatrist. "She said that I had to find peace and therefore gave myself a benzodiazepine, which I could take in the morning, at noon, in the evening and whenever I needed it, up to eight pills a day," says the Tyrolean. After just a month, she realized that she had become addicted to the chemical panic killer. "When I take the pills in the morning, the anxiety at noon has come up again and much stronger than before. The doctor insisted that I increase the dose. "

It soon became apparent in the environment that the enterprising young people had become a closed woman. She withdrew, was devoid of emotions and emotions, apathetic, just "worked". Friends turned away annoyed, the mother "was totally exhausted and did not know what she should do".

Finally, she vowed after several weaning attempts and a total of four and a half months of taking the medication off. She made the withdrawal without medical assistance. "I could not talk anymore, I could not sleep anymore, I had muscle cramps, vomited and had foam in my mouth," she says. The bed did not leave her for days, 15 kg decreased.

The first day, a pill that pushes the mouth away, and the skin. The eyesight of the right eye has deteriorated massively. Until recently, she was not sleeping for more than four hours. Her whole body feels like a single sore muscle. Only slowly, but steadily better. "Maybe I was a bit naive, I recommend taking something like that," advises the student.

"The dependence on benzodiazepines is a big problem with a high number of unreported cases," confirms Alex Hofer, Interim Director of the University Clinic for Psychiatry I in Innsbruck. In Austria what out of 190,000 people with harmful drug use. 80 percent of them are benzodiazepines. "It is that women are affected," says the expert. Basically, it needs a lot more information about benzodiazepines. People should know better about it. "It's very welcome, the student of strong power," said Hofer, which is the letter of the TT reader. "It does not seem to have gone well with this woman," he says.

Because even if benzodiazepine temporarily for the treatment of panic attacks - "but not with test anxiety!"

Surprising for him is the withdrawal symptoms. Hofer says: "It is known that the symptoms can last for a year or more," says Hofer. Four and a half months of taking time is very similar to the length of withdrawal symptoms. One of the symptoms of the underlying disease - the anxiety disorder - went out and what about the withdrawal.

Hofer's colleague Barbara Sperner-Unterweger (Director, Psychiatry II) emphasizes that benzodiazepines are perfectly justified "if they are prescribed at short notice and on a point-by-point basis". Positive areas of application are, for example, in case of acute stress and anxiety reactions or overburdening of a life event, such as a death.

"Even with insomnia is a punctual intake in order, it is problematic if wrapped over several weeks daily, if it is only halfway." The longer the medication is taken, the harder the withdrawal, which can take several weeks.

This should not come "cold", but medically accompanied, outpatient or inpatient. Because the withdrawal is a great mental and physical burden and challenge.

Encouraging is: "In people who make a benzodiazepine withdrawal, the awareness of the problem is usually very high and the relapse rate therefore rather low," says Sperner-Unterweger

Well done, Intrepide, and congratulations once again on your great effort ;)

I won't be buying shares in Google Translate any time soon, though  :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks so much for posting the article, intrepide. The translation is a bit rough, but it's certainly possible to understand what is meant. Good work! Let's hope others read it and learn from your story.

I do wish they'd use the words "physical dependence" rather than "addiction", though. It would be good if the media understood and explained clearly the mechanism by which these medications cause long-term issues. "Physical dependence" is part of the action of the drug, and such dependence happens with a range of medications which should all be used and tapered very carefully.

...I do wish they'd use the words "physical dependence" rather than "addiction", though. It would be good if the media understood and explained clearly the mechanism by which these medications cause long-term issues. "Physical dependence" is part of the action of the drug, and such dependence happens with a range of medications which should all be used and tapered very carefully.

Couldn't agree more, Lapis ;)

I found this the most telling statement. 

"The dependence on benzodiazepines is a big problem with a high number of unreported cases," confirms Alex Hofer, Interim Director of the University.

Thanks again for your efforts

2trusting

thank you guys! i know the translation is not good...

but as soon as the article got published (also on their facebook site) the discussion begun! a lot of people were shocked and some said that they had to go through the exact same thing... it is so sad that benzos are the most prescribed tablets.  :tickedoff:

thank you guys! i know the translation is not good...

but as soon as the article got published (also on their facebook site) the discussion begun! a lot of people were shocked and some said that they had to go through the exact same thing... it is so sad that benzos are the most prescribed tablets.  :tickedoff:

Please keep us updated on whatever unfolds... The number of people walking around in tolerance & inter-dose withdrawal from benzodiazepines - and thinking "This is me" - must be huge. People, globally, need to know what WE know.

Well done again ;):thumbsup:

So glad that you shined a bright light on this massive problem that brings so much suffering to people - unimaginable suffering. Wonderful job, intrepide!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome  Intrepide, well done.  :thumbsup:

I'm in Austria as well, Villach.....five years ago I contacted the media, even ORF....

never received a response....one journalist called back and told me the topic was too

complicated , go and figure. There is a neurologist in Vienna, who wrote a  book about

corrupted Doctors and  Big Pharma. ....I'm friends on FB with him....he confirms

everything we are going through.

All the best to you. :)

Hi Morreweg,

It's nice to see you around here again! It's been awhile. I hope you're doing okay.  :)

Thx Lapis, been in Hospital for over a month. Never recovered after my gall bladder surgery, hopefully I will get better soon now. ...all the best to you.

Hi Claudia!  Good to see you again.  Are you still in the hospital?  How are you feeling?  I think since you're back we can start up another political thread and really start a good debate going now.  :laugh:

Hi Claudia!  Good to see you again.  Are you still in the hospital?  How are you feeling?  I think since you're back we can start up another political thread and really start a good debate going now.  :laugh:

Thx Becky, I just returned home yesterday evening....still very weak. I'm laughing about the political debate.....no thanks, not again.  :laugh:

Hope you feel better next year.  :smitten: