How the US's prescription drug epidemic is changing hip-hop

[0b...]

[0b...]

Thursday 16 November 2017 12:45 EST

This permissiveness has claimed a talented victim in Lil Peep, a New York-born 21-year-old rapper who died this week of a suspected overdose. On his Instagram in the hours leading to his death, he said he was taking magic mushrooms and 'honey' (a kind of super-concentrated version of marijuana, turned into a wax); another picture sees him with an unidentified substance broken into pieces on his tongue. He is also filmed dropping bars of Xanax, the anxiety medication that has become perhaps the most fashionable drug in 2017's rap scene, into his mouth.

But it's Xanax the drug Lil Peep boasted about taking six of in a video hours before his death that has become the most prevalent.

The death of Lil Peep: How the US's prescription drug epidemic is changing hip-hop

[70...]

He took six Xanax and I've read on numerous places that he also took Fentanyl which would explain the overdose. I enjoyed his music but man he and a whole bunch of other young rappers really glorify drug use, especially Xanax lately. My response to his death was that it's sad of course but not at all surprising. Hopefully the young people who look up to him and other rappers who talk constantly about benzos and opiates will see this as a wake up call. It's getting a lot of attention on Reddit where people like this user are trying their best to spread awareness about the dangers of benzos:

I'm wondering how physically hooked he may have been to benzos? Most of us here know that it can take some people very little to get horribly physically addicted to this stuff in a short amount of time. His music isn't for everyone, but I can see that he had a lot of talent (at least in my opinion). The sudden fame didn't do him a lot of favors either I don't think. Too bad those closer to him couldn't help him out more. His friends probably are in just as deep a haze as he was though. I've also heard where he said that people would just keeping giving him free drugs all the time wherever he went.

Even a lot of his lyrics and some of his interviews have him talking about how he's done things he can't remember at all. One of the first tattoos he got on his face he says he doesn't remember getting. So he said that once that was done that he figured there was no reason to stop getting them there.

Sad. Too bad that the dangers are not more widely known. There is such a big gap between what people think Xanax is and what it really does to the brain and body. It's a very complex psychotropic that one cannot have too much information about it. Please research, research, research the heck out of it before taking it.

https://www.benzo.org.uk/breggin4.htm

[70...]
So he was abusing Xanax but apparently what killed him is that the Xanax he bought were "pressed" with Fentanyl and that's what caused the OD and death. I had never heard of that before but apparently it's becoming more and more common for Xanax bought off the street to be this way. That is EXTREMELY dangerous obviously.

Hip hop and xanax deserve each other, I despise them both.

Ouch that's a bit harsh, but i respect your opinion. It is sad how musicians always die so young. I think they are hypersensitive individuals and that is why they turn to drugs and alcohol. Most of the greats do not overcome their addictions . Well i know Johnny Cash did and he was doing all kinds of crazy stuff.  Sad stuff r.i,p musicians who gone too soon. I think a lot of people don't realize or understand  the struggle musicians face .

So he was abusing Xanax but apparently what killed him is that the Xanax he bought were "pressed" with Fentanyl and that's what caused the OD and death. I had never heard of that before but apparently it's becoming more and more common for Xanax bought off the street to be this way. That is EXTREMELY dangerous obviously.

It's happened in this area. It was on local news about a year ago about a couple people perishing in that same fashion. Xanax made with Fentanyl. If these folks were dependent on Xanax, I wish there was a clinic or a place they could get help without having to turn to black market. Who knows what is in those pills. There was a video online of a man who bought some Valium like that, and it wasn't really Valium, but Haldol, which is something one might get in a psych ward. Anyway, his face froze into a grin, and he was given an antidote (shot) at the ER to get his face unfrozen. Pretty scary......