Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

paradoxal effect

[Do...]

Hello,

After random temazepam use accross 1.5 months i encounterd kindling affect. My second last dose upped my T. And my last dose after 10 days ramped up my T and put me into severe withdrawal. I did have some windows but after 11 days cold turkey i was rushed to the hospital after an psychose attack. I couldn't defend myself, i told them i didn't want any pills because i was felling better but they forced the drugs on me anyway. Diazepam 2.5 mg

The day after my first diazepam i had tremors, anxiety attacks. cold sweat, speach trouble and muscle tension and twitches. and no sleep. I went to a lake and try to drown myself. No luck.

I could think a little better but its like im on XTC or someting. Cant sit still. And my tinnitus is ramping up every day. Is this a paradoxal reaction?

The next day i was put on remeron 7.mg.

Im really at the end of my withs. I found some doctors who believe my struggle an problems but im not sure what route to take. I believe Diazepam had reverse effects on me. And want to get off it! because life is a hell, everyday louder tinnitus.

Im thinking of a quick detox because of the short diazepam use. Im only doing this because of my family

now at 5 days with diazepam but the hyper breaks through mirtazapine. I took mirtazapine before and it would put me into sleep for days. Now maybe a few hours. I know mirtazapine doesnt cause this.

Those doctors... why in nobody taking us seriously.

I also get crazy from my insomnia. Head pressure is killing me. Went to the neurologist and told him: i can't handle this anymore. I feel like my brain is going to explode.

He told me to take: klonopin!!

I said: that is a benzo, don't want to take it.

He said: well, it is this or nothing, and this is another type of benzo then other ones, so you can take it (I doubt this is true, don't trust doctors anymore).

I was wondering: is the remeron helping for you???

Ive had remeron before. It really helped with sleep. So if insomnia is your problem then give remeron a try. It will put you asleep. But remember. Its another drug...

Ive had remeron before. It really helped with sleep. So if insomnia is your problem then give remeron a try. It will put you asleep. But remember. Its another drug...

I tried it before, but maybe I need a higher dose. I tried 7.5 mg, but only for 2 days.

7.5 always worked for me, 15mg was even more sedative in my experience. Though currently it doesn't help alot because the diazepam keeps me awake.

I wanna taper down. But dont know the right way. I know it doesnt agree with me, everyday my muscles tension builds. but im afraid of what will happen if i taper to fast.

I did not gain weight on remeron but i exercised 5 days a week and had a strict food regime.

Yeah, it seems it was a reaction to Diazepam.

You were in the very first weeks of withdrawal, and you're a short-term user. The first weeks are always the hardest. The following months are hard, but never as bad as at the beginning.

I think you need to learn to cope with the hardest part now, knowing it will get better. That is warranted. These symptoms are temporal.

You need to wait until you experience some windows, which might take a while. Then, these windows will give some security, and you would go better through the waves.

Also, you should write a message in a card stating clearly: DO NOT USE BENZODIAZEPINES, with a short explanation, and have it in your wallet. Then give it to your doctors next time that this might happen (and hopefully, it won't :-) ).

Courage and hope!

Yeah but should i stop the valium now you think? Been on it now for 5 days but making me hyper. Im only know connecting the weird reaction to diazepam

Ask many people about this, perhaps in private, and don't stay with a single opinion, because this is very controversial, and other might have better experience.

But in my personal opinion, because you're a very short-term user, If I were you, I would cut all drugs at once, or perhaps a rapid taper, and will hold on until the hardest part is gone, which will be a couple of weeks. Reinstate if you think is unbearable, but try to hold on as much as you can. Seek someone to talk during this time.

I don't see the point of doing a taper or restating it for a period longer than the original period of use, in the case of very short-term users.

Every time I have been very close to reinstating because of the suffering, I have waited a bit, and after a few days I have experienced a window and feel happy that I didn't reinstate.

Also, perhaps you had a paradoxical reaction because the new dose of diazepam did not match the original dose that you were taking. Check for that, too.

Hope that helps, but please ask senior people here by PM, if possible.

Yeah but should i stop the valium now you think? Been on it now for 5 days but making me hyper. Im only know connecting the weird reaction to diazepam

Hello,

I don't really have any sage advice to give you. Since you already had a bad reaction to a cold turkey I would not recommend doing that again. I've been through a cold turkey myself and I know just how awful that can be.

You might try a rapid taper, say reducing by half every 5 days. It does appear that the diazepam is backfiring on you.  It's hard to say if another benzo would help, I don't really have knowledge to advise you about this.  There are differences between all benzos and of course, a switch would need to be made gradually to avoid withdrawal from one as the other takes effect.

You are a pretty short term user and as CuriousGuy stated, the first weeks off benzos can be the most challenging.  However, after the acute phase is over symptoms start to ease up.

pianogirl  :smitten:

If diazepam is not working for you, there may be some other long-life, low potency benzodiazepines to take to help you taper off, if cold turkey seems to be too challenging for you. Perhaps tranxene or librium or medazepam could be used instead of diazepam in case you don't want to go cold turkey.

Well i was on temazepam not diazepam. I took the temazepam over a 2 months period, but random (every 3 days) resulting in kindling. Unaware of this i took a temazepam everytime i was almost through withdrawal. The last time was so bad i got a pshychose and they gave me diazepam. And that doesnt seems to be doing the opposite :/

So yeah my CNS is screwed, but i cannot tollerate the drugs either. So im thinking of switching of a fast taper, cold turkey would be too harsh for my CNS i think.

And maybe switching doesnt work either.

So im guessing a fast taper and settle in for the ride.

Im wondering because i was in withdrawal from temazepam if this effects my valium taper. I would like to drop it but scared if the withdrawal returns even more. So its a question of fast taper vs slow taper. Already dropped from 2.5 to 1.25 this week. Doctors say they are different so dont take into account my temazepam use. Only the duration of valium use. Any thiughts on that? Feeling rather stable atm. (Doesnt seem to be a paradoxal effect)

I think it is weird that on all instructions ot says that it is better to not take a benzo daily. Better to take it once or twice a week. But does that mean we are kindling then?