Study, Nov/17: Potentially inappropriate prescribing in discharged patients

[La...]

Yes, Terry, I've posted countless studies like this one. They usually say something to the effect of, "More study is needed," or "Guidelines need to be established to ensure that such practices are limited or avoided." Uh-huh. I don't think a lot more study is needed. Time to act.

But I know you and I agree on this, Terry. It's just frustrating as hell. There's enough documentation to show that benzos are problematic -- and especially so in seniors.

Yes, we all see it here, Lapis! I sometimes think doctors are afraid because they look at benzos as "safety nets" to calm seniors down, especially when they're in nursing homes. People can't sleep - they use it for that also. I don't know how we're going to get out of this mess!

We absolutely have enough studies to stop drugging the elderly, and anyone for insomnia over 2 weeks.  But then they'll just rip them off. So frustrating.  Thanks for all your posts with the studies.

You're welcome, MsA. It's incomprehensible for there to be such a bulk of information leading to a clear conclusion on the risks of benzodiazepines, yet still, that conclusion is ignored by those in a position to make a difference. I wish we could talk directly to them and ask a few simple questions, like "Why are you still doing this?" and "Why are you ignoring ALL of these studies?"

You're welcome, MsA. It's incomprehensible for there to be such a bulk of information leading to a clear conclusion on the risks of benzodiazepines, yet still, that conclusion is ignored by those in a position to make a difference. I wish we could talk directly to them and ask a few simple questions, like "Why are you still doing this?" and "Why are you ignoring ALL of these studies?"

Cognitive Dissonance I suspect at this point.  Or they've just never looked.  It's safe because it's safe type deal.

Yes, but if there's cognitive dissonance, you'd expect someone to make a change as a result of it. I really am confused by it. It goes so much against the grain of why I understand someone would go into medicine. I can only guess that they're not reading these studies at all. There's such a huge volume of information rolling in at any given time, so perhaps they're overwhelmed. They don't look because there's just too much to look at.

In any case, I'm grateful that we can look things up ourselves. Back in the "ol' days", we didn't have this much access to information. The internet is a fantastic thing, and it puts some of the control back in our hands. Thank goodness for that!

• 2 weeks later...