I Got My Life Back – Thank God!

[Th...]

Hi Kudos2,

It took awhile for the tinnitus to go away.  In fact, I think that was the very last thing to go away?  It gradually faded to the point where one day I noticed I didn't have that ringing and hissing sound any longer.  That was around month 24 or so after my CT.

The muscle twitching went away sooner than that...around month 18 if I remember correctly?  But it definitely disappeared.

Yes, all of my symptoms gradually faded over time...although some of them were UP and down for awhile before they finally ended.  When they mostly disappeared but then came back a bit stronger it bothered me, but I learned it was all part of the healing and recovery process.

You're doing great at 10.5 months off.  Hang in there, your time to write a success story will come soon!

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

Hello ThEwAy2,

So glad that you are doing well, yours is an inspirational story!

I would like to know if you have had any setbacks from other drugs such as antibiotics, steroids, vaccines, etc. since you discontinued psych meds.  I am in a multi-year setback from several such drugs and I am worried that I will forever be sensitive.

Best wishes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Athsey1,

Sorry to learn you are in a drawn out setback!  :tickedoff:

I've had a few insomnia only setbacks over the past 5 years but they were not related to any sort of Rx drug, vaccine, antibiotic, etc.  They emerged out of the blue and ended after different lengths of time.  My worst setback was this past January-February (2021).  It lasted about 6 weeks, but it wasn't anything like being in WD.  I had 3 zero nights (spread out over 2 weeks) and a bunch of 1-3 hour nights, but I also had a bunch of 6-8 hour nights mixed in.  I have slept pretty well the past 10 months.

A few years ago I had 2 surgeries on my left elbow because of a severe infection and they gave me Propofol and a lot of antibiotics (3 different ABs) and I had no setbacks or reactions.  I got both Moderna COVID vaccines and no issues there either.  I even have a beer or glass of wine here and there with no issues.

Hoping things even out for you soon!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Inspiring, I have also worked throughout this process and I'm afraid that once I heal I will have flashbacks of this place and how sick I came to work.

After you heal enough to lead a "normal" life, coming back to this place is no problem.  At least it hasn't been a problem for me.  It will be 6 years in August (5th) since I jumped CT and I've been hanging around to give others hope and to help when and where I can.

Hopefully you can do the same thing?

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing TheEwAy2! Your story was so great to read! Your story sounds so familiar to mine, I’m also in the Midwest. I did have to leave my job and I spent time in a mental health center and had to sell my home. These where unfortunately necessary for my journey. It’s comforting to hear you had to contemplate the same things. I also struggle with the littlest things like getting the mail or taking out the garbage. Just going outside is such a challenge. I get overstimulated from TV or video games just as you described and of course I constantly doubt this processes and decision to get off… the meds say you’ll never get better and your better off just taking more. I’ve also been trying to walk as you’ve suggested and I’ll make sure to keep pushing myself to do that more often.

Congratulations on your successes, and thank you for sharing your story! Hope is hard to come by.

Hi TheOne,

Sorry you are still struggling and in the midst of this battle. 

As you already know, it's super easy to focus on the negative aspects of WD and think that you are permanently broken.  You are NOT!  These are Benzo lies that everyone believes until they heal some and start to get some quality of life back.

It's too bad you had to quit your job and sell your house.  This journey is difficult enough without having to have that to deal with.  :tickedoff:

Don't ever regret coming off of Benzos.  I like to think that I quit "rat poison." And Benzos don't treat or cure anything.  They only mask symptoms and put a piece of black tape over your body's "check engine iight."  After you are completely off, you'll slowly heal.  It is very UP and down, a real roller coaster ride for most, but you will heal.  TIME will heal you.  It won't feel like it, but you will be healing with each passing day.

You can beat Benzo WD.  I never thought I would, but I did and you WILL too.  Just be patient and distract the best you can.  You'll be able to write a success story one day too and give others hope!

Thank you for your kind comments and hold onto the fact that you WILL heal.  There is hope!  :thumbsup:

TheWay I appreciate you taking time to encourage those of us still healing. Your words are like liquid gold to the ears. Slowly but surely I’m a witness that what you said is true…..time heals very small but sure parts a bit at a time with each day counting. Mostly, you can’t look at days or weeks. It’s best to look at months to see the healing because it’s in the background. Just this morning I woke up with one of my ear NOT ringing! The other is still ringing but mildly. I’m 21 months and 2 days. The little things are so big! Way to go on your success. Your patience paid off as I know mine will. Now if I just could walk more that would be great ! 😂 in time I will. My main symptoms are boatiness, ataxia episodes and unbalanced when standing. Those have been with me this whole time including the end of my taper when it began. If not for those 3, I’d say I’m 85-90% healed. But because of those, I’m saying I’m 65% because I can’t drive, go anywhere, walk very far or sit/stand for long ( about an hour or so). This took me a longggggg time to even get to this point. So I’m grateful instead of whining about what I can’t do.  :thumbsup:

As you said, time is a healer…..that never gets old in my ears.

Best wishes on a beautiful new healthy life!

Hi LadyDen,

Sorry this is such a long, slow, painful journey.  For unknown reasons, some take more time than they'd like to heal.  It's a combination of many things including genetics, diet, pre-existing conditions, etc.  But it's great to learn that you have accepted this and that TIME is the healer and will continue to heal you.

Balance issues are the worst.  I had a brief bout of this where it felt like I was walking on a boat that was swaying from the left to the right. I also had a few months of tinnitus and sound sensitivity. 

Your remaining 3 symptoms WILL continue to fade over more time.  You are doing great and being patient and doing the best you can to distract and live your life will go a long way towards getting past this and moving from 65 percent to 85 percent or more healed...

Thank you for being so gracious and kind with your words in the midst of your suffering.  You truly are a "Benzo Warrior." 

Best wishes for continued healing and recovery, you certainly deserve it!  :thumbsup:

TW2,

I keep reading this I have 32 screen shots of it, I am white knuckling this journey clinching for the end, I work in a school and summer cant come fast enough to give me a break, thanks for the encouraging words, again and again and again.

• 3 weeks later...

Kanoba,

It makes me feel really good that what I wrote and post is helping you and giving you hope!

I wish there were a way to make your journey more comfortable than a "white knuckle" one!  :tickedoff:

I work in a school district too, but I am on a year round contract.  When I was teaching, I had the summers off but that ended 27 years ago....LOL

I still love the summers though...

You ARE healing.  There is HOPE.  Do what you can to distract, accept and continue your steadfast patience.  You WILL get past this....and then you'll be rewarded by crossing the finish line one day soon...PROMISE!  :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  It provides needed encouragement to so many others who are drowning in their own despair and feeling somewhat hopeless. Congrats on your perseverance!

• 5 weeks later...

Blue Lion,

You are welcome.  I am happy I am able to "pay it forward" by writing and sharing my success story.  You'll be able to add your own success story one day too!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Moah,

I just did my best to relax and rest my body even if I couldn't sleep. It was tough to do, but I made it through and you WILL too.

TheWay I just wanted to pop in here to tell you thank you for hanging around after healing as a witness. That is so generous of you to have walked through the thick forest of recovery. Came out into the sunny clearing. Then stayed there to encourage the others. You are awesome! I’m so very happy to see you doing well. I pray that God bless you with immeasurable joy as you live your new life benzo free. Again….

Thank You! 🤝🤗👍🏼

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ladyden...

That is very king of you.  I promised another buddy I would hang around after I healed and I found it to be therapeutic at first, and no it's just nice to pay it forward and share the knowledge and experience I gained going through WD and then healing and recovery.