"Please Forgive Us For Prescribing Controlled Drugs to Just About Everybody"

[Bu...]

Interesting article from a doctor's viewpoint.  Glad they wrote that patients can experience many problems even when taking opioids, benzos and stimulants as prescribed, that they should be tapered off and given for a short period of time only.  I never experienced a benzo as a "miracle drug" however...it was slightly helpful for about a month and then I ended up in tolerance withdrawals for years:

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2015/05/please-forgive-us-for-prescribing-controlled-drugs-to-just-about-everybody.html

I see that you took Xanax and Klonopin. I hated both of those. They didn't do much for anxiety, only created more.

Ativan, however, was a "miracle" drug for me. I still cowardly store it at my neighbor's place and cannot bring myself to throw it out.

Yes, I had a health issue related anxiety but, Xanax and Klonopin took it to a whole new level for sure.  Best wishes with your taper-you are getting close  :)

[5e...]

Glad one doctor woke up and realized the truth in what people like Whitaker (Anatomy of an Epidemic) have been saying for a long time. Prescribing dangerous addictive drugs to just about everybody is a recipe for disaster. Maybe all those opioid deaths are the needed wake-up call.

Personally I think the widespread prescribing of SSRI's is also a problem, though not everyone here on BB agrees with that viewpoint.

Now if only gun shops would also say "please forgive us for selling dangerous assault weapons to just about everybody"... naw, that'll never happen... :(

It's just so hard to believe that this has been going on for sooo long!  I just don't understand it at all!  I hope more and more doctors will wake up to this epidemic of dangerous prescription drugs and all patients will be better informed about this and receive better help about how to safely taper off and how to find good alternatives.

It's just so hard to believe that this has been going on for sooo long!  I just don't understand it at all!  I hope more and more doctors will wake up to this epidemic of dangerous prescription drugs and all patients will be better informed about this and receive better help about how to safely taper off and how to find good alternatives.

I also don't understand this crazy situation. I grew up respecting doctors and medical science! But they not recognizing tolerance and withdrawal problems, up-dosing or prescribing more stuff, not believing us when we describe what happens, being too busy or careless to learn about something that's going on under their noses or AT LEAST warn us of possible side effects, all this is making me loose that respect :(

It's good that some doctors are speaking out, though. Thanks for sharing the article :)

One big difficulty, however, is that those that become sick due to prescription drugs stay in the medical circuit, which means more work and revenue for the same people that caused the problem.

Yes, it made me very upset when some doctors and psychiatrists told me that the benzo wasn't the problem and that I needed to stay on it  :tickedoff:  I have run into a few who thankfully understand that these drugs can cause such problems and was glad to see this article, too.

Thank you for this article, BurnedOut! I especially appreciate that she wrote this: "Benzodiazepines can immediately relax a person whose anxiety is running away with them. These drugs are amazing. They just shouldn’t be used on a regular basis except in extremely unusual cases." Well said. I only wish that ALL doctors understood this and followed it.