Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Hydrocortisone cream setback advice?

[...]

Hi Buddies,

I am 8.5 moths off Klonopin.

Things are going okay.

However early this morning I woke up early to a bad bug bite on my finger itching terribly.

I had some old prescription hydrocortisone cream that I rubbed on it without thinking twice and laid back down.

I jolted awake about 20 min later. Felt waves of anxiety rushing through me and my tinnitus was screaming.

I immediately got out of bed and washed my finger off and dried it. I felt very edgy but managed to doze off again.

Anyway I have had a big wave of symptoms all day today.

Terrible anxiety, tinnitus, burning sensations and tingling, also been shaky.

Of course I researched hydrocortisone cream on BB and found out it affects some people terrible who are in WD.

It comes in waves. I go from feeling slightly like Im back to acute- to symptoms subsiding and feeling almost back to baseline.

I'm panicking because some previous buddies had huge problems with steroids that set them back months. I don't think I could handle going back months! I just cant believe I am feeling this way off a tiny bit of topical cream.

Anyone know anything about this or had experience? Will it dies down soon? I know it couldn't possibly be the same damage that was done when I first came off benzos but it sure feels like it.

Thanks for any help!

This is bad guys. Didn’t sleep all night.

Considering a rescue dose tonight if it happens again. Haven’t taken benzos in over 8 months. I can’t believe the powerful effect of steroid cream.

I’m going to try propranolol now and see if that helps today.

Never had a thread on here with no response.

Saaad!

Anyway just wanted to update I’m feeling a little better tonight. No rescue dose.

Hopefully even better tomorrow.

If you get a setback from steroids maybe this will help!  :thumbsup:

I can't believe no one commented here? Sorry that you are going through this. I bet it will get better everyday. I had something like this happen a few times, once an anti-nausea iv in the ER sent me into an acute type thing, lasted about 4 days and i was tired after that and then back to baseline.  It also happened to me when I was still on klonopin. I had no idea back them, now I do.

Thank you both for your replies!!

I was little bummed at first when no one responded because I was in a total panic of course.

The first 48 hours actually felt like I was back in acute withdrawal. It was awful.

It has calmed down significantly this evening. Although I still have a slight increase in tinnitus and occasional waves of dizziness.

At this rate I’m sire it will pass within the week.

And to think this was just from a dab of cream on my hand! I can’t imagine if I had taken oral steroids or had a steroid shot. Omg

This experience also made me read up on other things that affect us and came across Antibiotics- specifically ciproflaxin which is what my doctor prescribed me to hang on to and use if I get any sickness especially when traveling overseas. Well those are going in the garbage right along with my hydrocortisone cream!

Looks like I avoided another crisis! Whew.

Anyways- thanks again!

Well my fellow buddies. I’m back.

Corticosteroids are the devil in benzo withdrawal.

My symptoms subsided for a couple days and then came back with a vengeance. I fall asleep for a couple hours and am jolted awake. Like being stuck with a cattle prod. My muscles clench and then contract. A burning tingling sensation up my spine and in my brain. My tinnitus will flare up and scream at me. Waves of dizziness and panic that feel almost physical. In some ways it resembles a cold turkey benzo withdrawal. But yet at the same time it is different. It flares up some days for hours and then a wave of calm comes over me. Like maybe my Gaba receptors are actually working and calming me down.

I’ve read about steroids throwing off the HP axis and that’s what is already screwed up from BWD.

Anyway I know ultamitely my body is going to take as much time as it needs and I can do nothing. I’m just so sad I have to deal with this after an already agonizing withdrawal process.

Does anyone have any experience with steroids? I just need some help to calm my nerves and let me know this will subside.

Please and thank you.

Yes.  I had steroid eye ointment for ocular rosacea.  I used it once or twice no problem.  I put a little in last night and felt amped.  Today I used it this morning and it brought on sweating and panic all day.  So am hoping it wears off and is out by tomorrow.  Sometimes the fear of something can set us off more than the substance -- at least for me!.  Hang in there.  This ill probably clear up faster than you fear.

:smitten:

Carol

Thank you Carol.

I really hope it does clear up soon. No matter how bad each day is, I am moving forward.

I'm just taken back by the intensity of the symptoms.

And of course my anxiety about it all makes everything much worse.

I hope you feel better soon as well!

[52...]

How are you Evio?  Just letting you know you are not alone.  I'm going through it too and there are no words for it.  It's HORRIBLE.  No, that's not even the word.  NO WORDS!

Sending you hugs.  :hug:

Hi my lil cappi,

Thanks for reaching out!

I am doing ok. Not great. I am shocked at how awful corticosteroids are in BD withdrawal. My tinnitus is very loud again. I feel agitated, restless, and wired! The muscle contractions have stopped for now thank goodness. But my muscles are now very weak.

I just feel so reved up again. Like I’m on speed or something. It resembles my acute phase.  And yet it’s still different. Not as bad.

I just pray it continues to die down each day. I dont have the mental strength to deal with months of a second acute phase in less than a year :(

How are you? We’re you on oral steroids?

I just used a tiny dab of cream and this is what I get.

[52...]

I'm sure you have read on here this has happened to other people as well.  I don't know why some of us are so susceptible.  I took a supplement that had steroids in it.  I have all those symptoms you have and then some.  There have been days and I'm sure more where I didn't think I was going to make it.  People that have been off for years have taken a shot or something and it feels like they are in cold turkey. I had to up my dose of K because of this and now I'm coming back down because it seems to be making things worse.  I get feelings I can't even explain if I tried.  Never could I explain them.

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I hope it ends for you really really soon.  Keep posting if need be.  Just to vent.  I'll be checking.

Cappi :smitten:

The same happened to me a few months ago with a hydrocortisone cream, it shook me up for days, and then it got better.  Hang in there, it will pass.  Wishing you speedy recovery from this incident! ;)

Thank you Ginger127

I hope it passes quickly. I have been doing a lot of reading about corticosteroids and the effects they have on people even when they are not in benzo WD. They are pretty nasty drugs. But fortunately the side effects will go away. I have accepted I have to deal with them. That has really lifted my anxiety about all of it and actually made things a little easier. I still have some unpleasant things going on from them, but it will pass.

I’ll try to update on here over the next few weeks.

Thanks again!

You're welcome.  Just be vigilant about staying away from hydrocortisone creams for now.  I forgot the other day and applied some to my foot.  Dang, my head was spinning all day and I had to sit it out.  But I got better in a few days.  Our bodies are super sensitive to this stuff right now, so it's best to avoid it.  Sending you good vibes. ;)

Thanks everyone.

I’m on day 8 and still experiencing pretty intense symptoms from the hydrocortisone.

Although I am still able to function and maintain my normal routine of working, going to Yoga, etc. i just have very unpleasant and uncomfortable feelings as mentioned in my previous posts.

I’ll continue to update.

Thank you again

Hello there,

I have not improved much in the last couple days.

My nervous system has been in complete shock from this steroid. In some ways, the symptoms are more intense than my acute withdrawal.

I’ve nevwr experienced nerve pain and burning like this before. And the tinnitus has gotten even louder. I have lots of other stuff going on.

Buddies please be cautious with corticosteroids. I have used this cream many times before BWD without any issues.

I will obviously never reinstate a benzodiazepine medication as long as I live, but I am forced to take rescue doses once or twice a week until this subsides.

It’s horrific and makes me very upset to put a benzo in my body again. But some days are so bad I contemplate going to the ER which I don’t want to do either. And I am crawling out of my skin.

I will pull through this in time. And hoping to God the occasional rescue doses don’t do too much damage.

Thank you so much Ginger

I’m going to try my hardest not to take anymore rescue doses.

The only 2 times I have taken them so far was because I felt I might have a seizure.

I can handle insomnia, anxiety, twitching, tremors. Basically everything this steroid can throw at me.

But the liquid fire running through my body and muscles seizing up was more than I could handle. I feel so guilty for taking 2 rescue doses. But they were 5 days apart. I’m really hoping it won’t cause a major setback. I’m sorry for posting on here so much. I’ve just never experienced anything like this and am in a state of complete panic.

I’m desperate for help.

Thank you to anyone with advice

:smitten:

Have you thought of using some supplements that help reduce cortisol.  I suffer from high cortisol all day (have done a spit test to confirm)as a symptoms of coming off Valium.  I have to use many supplements all day to keep my adrenals calmed down. For some people it can take many months to calm down the adrenals.

I know what it feels like to have too much cortisol coursing thu your veins - the anxiety is awful.

take care.

Hi CeeJay

Thanks for your reply.

Yes am taking phosphatidylserine and small doses of niacin as needed. I’m pretty sure the extreme nerve fire pain is from something with adrenals. Either high cortisol or a rush of adrenaline.  I have had high cortisol before it during my BWD.  It was never painful though like this is.

It seems to just slightly ease up each week. No more rescue doses. The last thing i need on top of this is a flare up of old BWD symptoms. So I’ll have to tough it out. It’s by far the worst thing that has happened to me in my WD. But i just have to keep reminding myself it’s only temporary. I’m also practicing mediation and have stopped cardiovascular workouts until this subsides. I am still doing my yoga.  Crossing my fingers it’s over soon. Thanks again

I never had a reaction to any steroidal cream. But I did have a reaction to itchy bug bites. It had nothing to do with q medicine reaction. It had to do with the itching of the bug bite. If your sensitive to anxiety you may be reaction to the itchiness. The itchiness was enough to increase my anxiety because of the uncomfortable feeling. It may be like the noise of hearing someones nails on a  blackboard if you know what I mean. Maybe that is what set off your symptoms