New to BenzoBuddies

[th...]

I'm 70 years old and I've lived in Seattle all my life. I've had episodes of clinical depression since age 20. I've been prescribed almost every antidepressant and some neuroleptics. Also. I was prescribed lithium, Lamictal, and more. I've had many ECTs and many weeks and months on psych units. I took prescribed benzos most of the time for over 20 years. Never abused any drug. I was cut off from Klonopin by my psychiatrist at the end of September 2015. No taper at all. I went through a devastating physical withdrawal for about eight months. I had all the "usual" symptoms and some unusual ones. I collapsed at least twice, once collapsing a lung and then breaking my shoulder. I was unable to care for myself so I was in a nursing home from November 2015 until March 2016. I still have some symptoms that come and go in waves: nausea but no vomiting, headache, mental confusion (sometimes severe,) dizziness and diarrhea. Since about a year after I had the last Klonopin, I've had very little trouble with depression, which is really great for me! I'm interested in finding a doctor or nurse who will help me find out if flumazenil helps my current symptoms.

[88...]

Hello, Truthfairy :) - welcome to BenzoBuddies, and congratulations on being benzo-free!

It always amazes me that doctors continue to abruptly cut their patients off from benzos, only to leave them to pull themselves back together afterwards - so sorry that you’ve had such a terrible struggle.

The symptoms can hang on for quite a while, especially after a cold turkey, so it’s not hard to understand why you’re still having problems. Glad to hear that your depression is gone - that alone is huge progress.  :thumbsup:

Flumazenil is not something I have tried myself, but there are other members here who can probably offer some knowledge of it.

I'm so glad you decided to join the forum - you'll find plenty of information and support here. Our members have gone through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, so you'll be able to connect with others who understand what you're going through.

The following links should be a good starting place for you to post your questions:

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Cold Turkey

Other Medications

Please take a moment to Create a Signature. This will allow members to see where you are in the process, so that they can better support you.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum!

Leslie  :smitten:

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative resource on what to expect during withdrawal and recovery. It provides information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations.