Live, in-person support group Central Florida?

[po...]

I am reading posts of people trying to gather a few of us together into support groups specifically for Benzo recovery. ANYONE in central Florida, Orlando/WDW area interested?

All support groups I have found dwell on alcohol or general drug abuse. I need a group for medication prescribed withdrawal support.

Anyone???

[65...]
The forum isn't the place to set up this kind of rendezvous.  We discourage such meet-ups as there is a concern for safety and privacy.  Believe it or not, unscrupulous people do troll this forum.  Please be smart and use the forum as it was intended.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, that's not quite the position. It is true that we do not actively encourage such meetings for the reasons BSR outlined, but we will help in a limited fashion to ensure the legitimacy of such group meetings. Most members will know nothing about this, but (more in the past) there have been problems with attempts to socially engineer the personal data (tricking people into supplying personally identifying information) of those going through benzodiazepine withdrawal. That might sound fantastical, but a deranged blogger (banned from all benzodiazepine withdrawal forums - at a time when BB was one of several such places) published the private messages obtained via the targeted cracking of accounts at another forum (there were attempts to do this at BB too, including the accounts of all of our team). The blogger would harass individual, named members of here and elsewhere with suggestions to commit suicide, or through photoshopped compromising sexual imagery. Further, the blogger was secretly working in concert with a friend who had created a fake benzodiazepine withdrawal support forum. She used multiple aliases at his blog targeting members (enemies) of a previously closed forum 9where she'd been very active), here, and even members (and team) of her own forum. It seems clear that a lot of personal information and data flowed from her forum to the blogger for dissemination through his blog. After she was exposed, she tried to create yet another support group (again hiding behind aliases). The blogger has telephoned and emailed 'targets' to harass them. Even Prof. Ashton has been a target of the blogger. On one occasion, his accomplice (the one who ran the forum) and another helper conspired to post photoshopped sexualised imagery of Prof. Ashton  (a lady in her eighties) here at BB.

This is mostly from years ago, but the blogger persists. So, we can no longer automatically accept arrangements to meet up as necessarily innocent and at face value. However, we are not aware of any such problems occurring at real-world meetings so far. And, there are a few things we can do help mitigate any nefarious actions. A few times, we have helped with confirming the legitimacy of group/meeting for members. If you would like to create a real world meet-up, arrange it through, say, a church, hospital, or some other body where we can make some inquiries. We've done this a few times. Once we have confirmed that some such body is involved, you will be allowed to publicise the details at BB. So, the meeting must involve some kind of trusted body, be public, and be confirmed (by a BB Admin) as involving a trustworthy body.

I hope that helps.

On one occasion, his accomplice (the one who ran the forum) and another helper conspired to post photoshopped sexualised imagery of Prof. Ashton  (a lady in her eighties) here at BB.

How horrible. I did not know that. And to pick on Ashton to me is like knocking a person over in a wheel chair. :tickedoff: