Metal ballads for Calming down

[7b...]

[7b...]

Metallica is arguably the biggest metal band of all time and quite possibly the greatest.

For those of you who've only heard of Metallica;

let me inform you that they have produced some huge ballads & instrumentals.

And by huge I also mean 8min songs.

Also also, their lyrical themes are pretty dark.

"

" is an instrumental named after the constellation due to its spacey sounding bridge,

which features a moody bass-line and multipart guitar harmonies.

This is the closest thing to a happy pill/good "trip" with no side effects.

"

" is a tribute to the band's bassist who was killed in an accident.

For me, it's basically an instant cure for insomnia.

"Fade to Black" is a ballad whose lyrics address suicidal feelings.

Yet it makes me feel better when I'm sad.

"

" is an antiwar anthem portraying a wounded soldier; his limbs are gone and he is unable to hear or see,

leaving him trapped inside his own body, begging God to take his life.

Personally, I take it as a metaphor for depersonalization.

Note that the link is to the live version with the San Francisco Symphony.

Enjoy!

[cd...]

loved metallica growing up now I cringe seeing them all over pop culture, ughhh. loved orion, to live is to die, and one. i was nuts for them a long time ago.

listening to opeth these days, between the buried and me, pagans mind, sometimes lamb of god still, crowbar, used to jam a few of their songs in my band in the early 2000's.

hatebreed is good for making me feel like i can conquer the world.

glad theres benzo withdrawal metalheads, lol. this is has been hell, i had to quit my band over a year ago, we were playing all over florida. half the guys understood, guys ive known a long time, the other guys thought i was completely full of shit. dying to play, but im still too *&^%% up

Oh, I know man, my poor Randy rhoads Jackson V. Has sitting above my amp for awhile..I only recently just started playing him again. It's hard to jam when you ache and hurt all over..can't breathe and feel like your having a panic attack. It's even harder when ur Brain feels numb and dead and all the creativity is sapped out of you. That's what I want back the most I think..my creativity and music, and the awsm feeling that comes with it.

• 1 year later...
But yes Meatallica was awesome back then.Their new album was pretty good.It dont touch anything from kill em all,ride the lightning,or especially master of puppets.I love orion and to live is to die.Thank you for posting

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this counts as a metal ballad or not, but it's defo a ballad from a rather heavyweight band.

I find this track has helped me through a lot of difficult situations and defo has a calming influence.

This is Pink Floyds Dark side of the moon....

After thought.....

Kasabian - Underdog

• 1 month later...

loved metallica growing up now I cringe seeing them all over pop culture, ughhh. loved orion, to live is to die, and one. i was nuts for them a long time ago.

listening to opeth these days, between the buried and me, pagans mind, sometimes lamb of god still, crowbar, used to jam a few of their songs in my band in the early 2000's.

hatebreed is good for making me feel like i can conquer the world.

glad theres benzo withdrawal metalheads, lol. this is has been hell, i had to quit my band over a year ago, we were playing all over florida. half the guys understood, guys ive known a long time, the other guys thought i was completely full of shit. dying to play, but im still too *&^%% up

Yea I'm like you Luke my go to when I want to conquer the world is Slayer with Jeff Hanneman.Slayer died imo when He did.I've listened to Slayer since the 80's when they opened for Judas Priest.What a show that was.I like hatebreed too.Pan freakin tera.Yup some good music.Yea I dont think Cliff Burton would have liked the way the band went after And Justice for All.I dont know I could be wrong but it seemed he was more into Ride the Lightning and Puppets.I really dont see him doing the Black album.Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread thanks for starting it.

A few months ago I was able to start listening to metal again with my 15 year old son and when we played Metallica I was SO HAPPY!!! I bought a new turntable and got out my records and played album after album of all my old rock / metal / and punk records.  It was HEAVEN.  This is how I know healing happens when you can listen to Metal again!

Here's a good one, light weight for those of you who can't handle too much:

(Judas Priest Rocka Rolla)

It's so terrible Glenn Tipton has Parkinson's.Such an amazing talent and a soloist like no other.

This is one of my favorites from one of the best albums from Priest.Painkiller.

Touch of Evil

Thinking of you Glenn.

• 3 months later...