Does this cross over plan sound accurate?

[Pi...]

Okay so I'm now down to 0.5mg Klonopin so I told the doctor I need 10mg valium.  So he said to take 5mg valium for 2 weeks then go up to 10mg and to completely get off the Klonopin during the first 2 weeks.  That doesn't sound right to me.

Do I start off at 5 or 10mg Valium?

How do I taper the Klonopin? Do I cut big chunks off for a few weeks or slowly taper?

How long do I wait to start cutting the Klonopin?

Is this an easy cross over?

Someone please help, I'm confused.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Pi...]

• [Lo...]

• [Be...]

• [mo...]

So I'm down to 0.5mg Klonopin so I told a doctor that I need 10mg Valium. And he wants me to start off at 5mg valium for 2 weeks then go up to 10mg after that. And wants me to be completely off Klonopin during the first 2 weeks of me starting the 5mg Valium.    That doesn't sound right to me.

I'm confused I need some advice please.

Do I start off at 5 or 10mg Valium?

When should I cut the Klonopin and how much? Am I supposed to do a rapid taper or a slow one like I'm doing now?

I was on Valium to begin, and so you will have to wait for others to give you the definitive.  It does make sense to do a slow cross-over, first on 5 mg. of Valium, and then 10 mg. Valium.  I am assuming that you would be reducing your first benzo during that time.

I do have a lot of experience with Valium.  It can make you sleepy.  I have used coffee and no-doz to good effect for many years, not too much coffee nor too much no-doz.  If you aren't a coffee drinker, the caffeine will hit powerfully.  Try drinking just an inch of coffee in a coffee cup, no more.  If you get too much caffeine, you won't have the benefit of calm from the Valium.

I wish you the best.  Valium is much easier to reduce from, because it has a long half-life (approximately a week).  Take care.

I was on Valium to begin, and so you will have to wait for others to give you the definitive.  It does make sense to do a slow cross-over, first on 5 mg. of Valium, and then 10 mg. Valium.  I am assuming that you would be reducing your first benzo during that time.

I do have a lot of experience with Valium.  It can make you sleepy.  I have used coffee and no-doz to good effect for many years, not too much coffee nor too much no-doz.  If you aren't a coffee drinker, the caffeine will hit powerfully.  Try drinking just an inch of coffee in a coffee cup, no more.  If you get too much caffeine, you won't have the benefit of calm from the Valium.

I wish you the best.  Valium is much easier to reduce from, because it has a long half-life (approximately a week).  Take care.

Okay. Thank you so much for at least responding!

[d0...]

I'm confused I need some advice please.

I really don't know how else to put it so here goes:

You have every right to be confused;

what your doctor seems to be suggesting sounds stupid to me.

Going from .5mg clonazepam ~ 10mg diazepam to 5mg diazepam,

then increasing to 10mg diazepam, only to decrease again?

The only advice I could give you is considering another doctor.

Good luck!

I can't understand the Ashton Manual.

When I start taking Valium, when am I supposed to cut the 0.5mg Klonopin and how much at a time!? Someone please help me figure this out, I'm so confused!

[0b...]

The closest equivalent to 0.5 mg clonazepam is indeed 10 mg diazepam, so 5 mg is an immediate 50% reduction. Ouch.

If you have to do an immediate switch, I would suggest that it be to the 10mg, then taper off slowly after that. Trying to get off that amount in two weeks may be survivable, but speaking from my own experience, I’d recommend not doing what will amount to a cold turkey.

The closest equivalent to 0.5 mg clonazepam is indeed 10 mg diazepam, so 5 mg is an immediate 50% reduction. Ouch.

If you have to do an immediate switch, I would suggest that it be to the 10mg, then taper off slowly after that. Trying to get off that amount in two weeks may be survivable, but speaking from my own experience, I’d recommend not doing what will amount to a cold turkey.

So am I supposed to start at 5mg or 10mg Valium?

And how fast should I taper the Klonopin?

When I start the crossover to Valium, when do I start cutting the Klonopin? And do I do bigger Cuts Like a rapid taper? Or smaller Cuts?

Can I dry shave valium? I want to start off at 10mg then 9.5mg,9mg,8.5mg,8mg ect. Taking off 0.5mg every few weeks. Can I use a razor and scale and successfully do it that way? Because I don't understand how to do a liquid taper. And I can only get 10mg pills!

OKAY I'M DOWN TO 0.5MG KLONOPIN = 10MG VALIUM.

SO WHEN I CROSS OVER TO VALIUM, WHEN AM I SUPPOSED TO START CUTTING THE KLONOPIN? AND HOW MUCH & HOW OFTEN!?!?

AM I SUPPOSED TO CUT IT AS SOON AS I START THE VALIUM? WAIT A WEEK? WAIT A FEW WEEKS? DO I RAPID TAPER? SLOW TAPER? CUT BIG AMOUNTS? CUT SMALL AMOUNT?  ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was aware of how to titrate with milk and with vodka, but I wasn't game to try them, so I found a compounding pharmacy where they make a 100ml solution of whatever strength I want with my tablets. Last time I gave them 20 x 5mg Valium tablets, this made calculations easy because it's 100ml and 100mg so a 1ml syringe 0.02ml graduations. My next order will be 10 x 5mg tablets which makes every 1ml = 0.5mg .

The suspending vehicle that the compounding pharmacy use for the preparation is called Oral Suspend and it is sourced from a supplier named Medisca. I don't know if they do something to dissolve the tablets first.

But the main point is try and find a compounding pharmacy where you can give them a number of your tablets, easy.

Are you sure you're ready to cross to valium Snowflake1822? Since you are experiencing a lot of extreme panic, it may be better to stabilize on 0.5mg Klonopin before crossing over to valium.

The reason I say it is that valium, even though it is very sedating, it is a much weaker benzodiazepine than klonopin, so once you start crossing over, klonoopin will start leaving the body sooner than the valium can build up in it, giving you some pretty yucky symptoms. If your doctor lets you, can you do a very slow crossover to valium just to make it more tolerable for you.

Perhaps replace 0.125mg Klonopin with 2.5mg Valium, do a long hold, then do another 0.125mg K with 2.5mg V substitution, and so on. You may need to go even a bit slower than that.

Hopefully, this helps. My main concern is that you have a lot of panic on Klonopin, and going to Valium is a downshift. Valium is a much weaker benzo, and while valium will keep your benzo levels in the brain saturated to prevent extreme symptoms, you may experience the worsening of panic, since Klonopin is much more suited for strong panic attacks than Valium is......

https://beyondmeds.com/2009/01/16/the-klonopin-valium-crossover-explained/

Are you sure you're ready to cross to valium Snowflake1822? Since you are experiencing a lot of extreme panic, it may be better to stabilize on 0.5mg Klonopin before crossing over to valium.

The reason I say it is that valium, even though it is very sedating, it is a much weaker benzodiazepine than klonopin, so once you start crossing over, klonoopin will start leaving the body sooner than the valium can build up in it, giving you some pretty yucky symptoms. If your doctor lets you, can you do a very slow crossover to valium just to make it more tolerable for you.

Perhaps replace 0.125mg Klonopin with 2.5mg Valium, do a long hold, then do another 0.125mg K with 2.5mg V substitution, and so on. You may need to go even a bit slower than that.

Hopefully, this helps. My main concern is that you have a lot of panic on Klonopin, and going to Valium is a downshift. Valium is a much weaker benzo, and while valium will keep your benzo levels in the brain saturated to prevent extreme symptoms, you may experience the worsening of panic, since Klonopin is much more suited for strong panic attacks than Valium is......

https://beyondmeds.com/2009/01/16/the-klonopin-valium-crossover-explained/

I AM IN TOLERANCE!!! I HAVE BEEN ON 0.5MG KLONOPIN FOR 3 MONTHS AND STABILIZED THEN I BECAME TOLERANT TO IT AND NOW HAVING EXTREME SYMPTOMS AGAIN! THE KLONOPIN IS NOT EFFECTIVE ANYMORE AND I AM VERY DESPERATE TO RELIEVE THIS EXTREME PANIC! THE KLONOPIN ONLY TAKES THE EDGE OFF FOR A FEW HOURS AND THEN I'M BACK IN THE EXTREME TOLERANCE AND PANIC! I'D RATHER BE SEDATED THAN SUPER HYPED AND PANICKY 24/7.

Completely understood :). The thing is to do that crossover nice and slow, because when I started slowly crossing over from ativan to valium, the ativan wasn't giving me nearly any therapeutic value, but I sure felt it leaving the body. Basically, I felt very sedated on valium, but as the ativan was slowly leaving my system, I'd feel extremely panicked. So I felt drugged on valium while also freaked out from ativan leaving the body.

Please believe me that this 0.5mg Klonopin dose is definitely doing something. Maybe no therapeutic value, but it's keeping the extreme panic from becoming even worse.

Since valium takes a week or two to build in your system, some people do a slight updose on valium (1mg, 2mg, 2.5mg....), before they start tapering their original benzo. This may help soften the symptoms.

Completely understood :). The thing is to do that crossover nice and slow, because when I started slowly crossing over from ativan to valium, the ativan wasn't giving me nearly any therapeutic value, but I sure felt it leaving the body. Basically, I felt very sedated on valium, but as the ativan was slowly leaving my system, I'd feel extremely panicked. So I felt drugged on valium while also freaked out from ativan leaving the body.

Please believe me that this 0.5mg Klonopin dose is definitely doing something. Maybe no therapeutic value, but it's keeping the extreme panic from becoming even worse.

Since valium takes a week or two to build in your system, some people do a slight updose on valium (1mg, 2mg, 2.5mg....), before they start tapering their original benzo. This may help soften the symptoms.

Omg that sounds AWFUL!!! I hope it's not too bad!

I only have 10mg pills and the doctor wants me to start off at 5mg for 2 weeks and then go up to 10mg after that. So does that sound right or should I start off at 10mg?

The Klonopin only takes the edge off of my extreme panic. Also, will I feel all the withdrawl symtoms after cutting the Klonopin?

Omg that sounds AWFUL!!! I hope it's not too bad!

I only have 10mg pills and the doctor wants me to start off at 5mg for 2 weeks and then go up to 10mg after that. So does that sound right or should I start off at 10mg?

The Klonopin only takes the edge off of my extreme panic. Also, will I feel all the withdrawl symtoms after cutting the Klonopin?

OK, so what does your doctor exactly want you to do? Something like:

Week #1 -> 0.25 Klonopin, 5mg Valium

Week #2 -> stop Klonopin, 10mg Valium

Just wanted to make sure if that is the plan. Thanks.

He told her

1st 2 weeks

.5 mg Klonopin, 5 mg valium

Next 2 weeks

0 Klonopin,  10 mg valium

She was concerned that it was too fast and he agreed.  He then changed it to 4 weeks to get off klonopin instead of 2. 

He told her

1st 2 weeks

Next 2 weeks

She was concerned that it was too fast and he agreed.  He then changed it to 4 weeks to get off klonopin instead of 2.

Thanks for the clarifcation. Much appreciated. Snowflake1822, if you were to do a 4 week crossover, can you afford to be non-functional during that period? If you happen to end up temporarily bedridden, etc, do you have anyone to help you?

Not meaning to scare you, but crossovers are unpredictable, and you may need a lot of help through it. :). Once you stabilize on valium, it will probably be better, but the period while you stabilize may be really bumpy. Take care and please get as much information as you can before you start the crossover.

He told her

1st 2 weeks

Next 2 weeks

Thanks for the clarifcation. Much appreciated. Snowflake1822, if you were to do a 4 week crossover, can you afford to be non-functional during that period? If you happen to end up temporarily bedridden, etc, do you have anyone to help you?

Not meaning to scare you, but crossovers are unpredictable, and you may need a lot of help through it. :). Once you stabilize on valium, it will probably be better, but the period while you stabilize may be really bumpy. Take care and please get as much information as you can before you start the crossover.

I'm just so confused, I'm not sure how to do the cross over! Obviously the doctor didn't know either.

Well last night I took 0.5mg Klonopin and 5mg Valium and I feel sooo out of it, I feel like a zombie, can't think straight, foggy mind, burning and STILL HAVE THE EXTREME PANIC and racing intrusive thoughts!!!   

I thought I was supposed to take 0.5mg Klonopin and 5mg Valium for the 2 weeks and then go up to 10mg after that THEN start cutting the Klonopin! Am I wrong?

I thought I was supposed to take 0.5mg Klonopin and 5mg Valium for the 2 weeks and then go up to 10mg after that THEN start cutting the Klonopin! Am I wrong?

Please be careful. This may result in ending up on 0.5mg Klonopin and 10mg Valium at the same time, and being unable to come off of Klonopin, and getting stuck on 0.5mg Klonopin and 10mg Valium. That's why crossovers are so hard.

It seems to me that you are in a pretty bad withdrawal and your body may be literally screaming for a higher dose of benzos, which may easily result in ending up on both Klonopin and Valium without an ability to cut down your Klonopin. Essentially, you may end up doubling your dose. The idea would be to cut down on Klonopin while adding Valium, so you eventually convert to all doses valium.

Please be careful. This may result in ending up on 0.5mg Klonopin and 10mg Valium at the same time, and being unable to come off of Klonopin, and getting stuck on 0.5mg Klonopin and 10mg Valium. That's why crossovers are so hard.

It seems to me that you are in a pretty bad withdrawal and your body may be literally screaming for a higher dose of benzos, which may easily result in ending up on both Klonopin and Valium without an ability to cut down your Klonopin. Essentially, you may end up doubling your dose. The idea would be to cut down on Klonopin while adding Valium, so you eventually convert to all doses valium.

Is what I'm experiencing normal for taking the Valium??? I feel sooo HORRIBLE!!! I feel like a ZOMBIE!! MY MIND IS SOOO OUT OF IT!!! I'M SCARED!!! 😭😭😭