Substitution valium for lorazepam schedule?

[Si...]

My Dr. is letting me switch from lorazepam to valium. I have looked at the Ashton manuel taper using valium substitution but it starts at a very high dose. I'm at 1.5 mg lorazepam so only need to switch to 15 mg valium then start tapering. Has anyone just quit the lorazepam and started taking the valium?

Why substitute slowly from one to the other?

You're lucky your doctor is willing to switch you from lorazepam to valium so you can taper.  This is a standard procedure, and you will be able to taper safely.  Yes, 1.5mg of lorazepam is equal to 15mg of valium, which may seem like a large dose, but it isn't.  Once you transition to valium and stabilize, it's best to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or so, depending on your symptoms.  Wishing you the best!

I had gone down to .25 mg lorazepam and the prescription the Dr. wrote me was only for 1 5mg valium per day. I'm going to take 5 mg till Nov 1 I think then wean off 5 mg in 2 months. by going down 1/4 tab every 2 weeks.

Wish me luck.

Hi :)

Let us know how you're doing. I just asked my doctor today about his thoughts about moving from ativan to valium if I end up needing to (not yet but worried it might be necessary and/or better).

I'm curious how you feel on it, how it compares, and how you think it is for a taper :)

ie: *following* :)

and good luck!! :)

sending healing vibes your way :)

Firefly,

So what did you Dr. say about the substitution of valium for lorazepam?

I only brought it up to see if he's familiar with using it that way (to change from a shorter acting benzo). And to pave a way for a discussion later in case it's necessary.  He doesn't sound like he's against it but didn't sound like he thought it was necessarily the best way to go either.  I think he's open but like many here, he recognizes it's not always the end-all-be-all or the right move for everyone.  I will have to see how my taper goes and if i start having inter-dose withdrawals and they aren't manageable i'll talk more to him - I just want to know what options i have (not sure yet about inter-dose w/d- starting to wonder though),

Still following this post though :) - very keen to hear your experience with the cross over and change  :)

hope it goes well!!

:smitten:

It's been about 1 week since I've switched and tonight  I can't fall asleep after benadryl and valerian. I can't just lie in bed so have the TV on and playing games on computer which I've read  that this is bad for sleep but I refuse to just lie here in the dark. I'll fall asleep eventually and just put up with being tired at work. :-\

It's been about 1 week since I've switched and tonight  I can't fall asleep after benadryl and valerian. I can't just lie in bed so have the TV on and playing games on computer which I've read  that this is bad for sleep but I refuse to just lie here in the dark. I'll fall asleep eventually and just put up with being tired at work. :-\

So you're on 5mg of valium daily until November 1, is that correct?  Valium may take a while to kick in, so hang in there.  Don't worry about electronics, I find TV to be very soothing when I go to bed. ;)

I have been doing fine on the 5 mg except for that one night so went down to 3/4 tab valium last night and will continue for 2 weeks.

I'm glad someone else watches TV at night. I'm so tired of reading how it's a definite no no and the healthy way is to just lie there. ???