Suspected shooter in Vegas massacre prescirbed Valium

[Ph...]

So apparently Stephen Paddock, the suspected gunman in the Las Vegas shooting had purportedly been prescribed 50 10mg valium pills a few months back. Besides the fact that there have been multiple reports of up to 4 to 5 different shooters from different hotels, and some speculation that Paddock might not have even been involved, but instead used as a scapegoat while law enforcement and the feds attempt to figure out what actually happened (but I'm not here to debate potential conspiracy theories..), I just thought this was an interesting story. I'm not sure what the consensus of those on this board is, but I think it is a bit absurd to try and blame a benzo on what was obviously a VERY premeditated mass murder. I, along with most I know who have ever taken a benzo would likely agree that they do not have the kind of effect that would result in the influencing of one's mind, and thinking patterns towards the most unthinkably disturbing and heinous act (alledgedly) carried out by this man. Sure, there has been a small causal link between SSRIs and homocide/suicide, but that's a completely different discussion altogether. Don't, get me wrong.. I am certainly not pro-benzos (except under very unique and uncommon circumstances), but I personally think this is more than a bit of a stretch to try and link these two things together. I feel that the police, and the media are just trying to grasp at anything to find a link or cause behind this mans (alleged) actions until a real motive, and further evidence thereof is brought to light.

The real question is if this story were to gain traction, how does this potential link the media is attempting to create affect future prescribing of benzos. Is this a good or bad thing? Feel free to discuss..

Edit - forgot to provide newslink http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4947276/Stephen-Paddock-prescribed-Valium-Vegas-massacre.html

Benzos have been shown to increase the risk of homicide in people WHO ALREADY HAD HOMICIDAL TENDENCIES by 45%.  Benzos will most likely not turn the average person into a killer (although a person could hit psychosis due to withdrawal and do something spur of the moment). 

That being said, listening to the police reports from the night of the shooting, there were several other reports of shootings at other hotels on the strip, but none of them panned out.  Out of the 40 or so guns that were found on the suspect, he purchased over 30 of them in the last few months.  I don't think this is a coverup - just one highly off balance individual who carried out one of the most gruesome murders in recent American history.  For whatever reasons, he was planning this, it was not a spur of the moment thing. 

Updated to include link:  This is not the original study, but I am having computer issues.  The 45% number was from an actual medical journal, but I cannot access it at the moment.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150601082529.htm 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2015/06/04/common-pain-killers-and-sedatives-linked-to-increased-risk-of-homicide-according-to-study/#40eb00f01aef

I'm not sure what the consensus of those on this board is, but I think it is a bit absurd to try and blame a benzo on what was obviously a VERY premeditated mass murder.

I doubt that a single benzo script would drive someone to do something like this but I wouldn't automatically assume that someone who is under the influence of psych drugs isn't capable of carrying out premeditated violence on a large scale.

I also wouldn't discount the possibility that any psych drug can influence violent behavior. Never in my life have I experienced episodes of extreme rage. Not until I came off of clonazepam anyway, so I can extrapolate how these drugs could cause someone to end up doing something really stupid.

Benzos have been shown to increase the risk of homicide in people WHO ALREADY HAD HOMICIDAL TENDENCIES by 45%.  Benzos will most likely not turn the average person into a killer (although a person could hit psychosis due to withdrawal and do something spur of the moment). 

That being said, listening to the police reports from the night of the shooting, there were several other reports of shootings at other hotels on the strip, but none of them panned out.  Out of the 40 or so guns that were found on the suspect, he purchased over 30 of them in the last few months.  I don't think this is a coverup - just one highly off balance individual who carried out one of the most gruesome murders in recent American history.  For whatever reasons, he was planning this, it was not a spur of the moment thing.

If you are making a statement like this, please back it up with references to studies that support said statement.  It's too easy for all kinds of suppositions to be thrown around in the light of such a tremendous tragedy.

pianogirl

50 10-mg. Valium with a cold turkey could certainly set off a rage and many other symptoms. Who knows, he could have taken a whole bunch and then stopped suddenly.

Wannabebetter - I agree. You could also make the statement that all psychiatric meds could contribute to a persons mental stability. The problem is that docs throw them around like candy without trying non medicinal approches, and due to our unique individual brain chemistry, we all react differently.

Dolphinator78, Floridaguy and Terry38 - I agree. Lone gunman or not, this was 100% premeditated. Severe benzo induced withdrawal/psychosis could certainly throw a person into a fit of rage. I've experienced those feelings. But I am not inclined to believe that adding a benzo to a persons drug regimen (assuming he took as prescribed and was not in withdrawal) would alter an individuals personality to the point of tranforming them into a psychotic killer. Nobody in the throws of WD could orchestrate that type of premeditated atrocity. Also, as far as we know, he was not prescribed anything else. Considering that they were able to obtain information about his Valium script, we should reasonably assume that had he been prescribed other meds, we would have this information is well. Due to the documented history with SSRIs and homocides, I'm sure that is what they were looking for. I am not aware of any other documented links between benzo use and mass murders or homicidal behavior.

Benzohno - I took a brief look at the study. It's interesting, but I'm not entirely convinced that there weren't in inherent design flaws in the study itself. According to the study, benzos, ADs, APs, and opiates all increase the risk for homocidal behavoir. "Benzodiazepine and analgesic use was linked with a higher risk of homicidal offending, and the findings remained highly significant even after correction for multiple comparisons." I have to wonder what the multiple comparisons were. It's sort of a chicken/egg type of question. Were all of the participants in the study already messed up/borderline psychotic to begin with (and thus prescribed these meds), or did the meds make them that way?

Chessplayer - Thanks for providing the other links. I will have a look. Wouldn't have thought to look there, and just decided that "benzos in the news" was the most appropriate place to post this information. But thanks again.

The primary purpose of this discussion, at least in my mind, is to examine how this might play out with the medical community and future prescribing of benzos if (and that's a big IF) this part of the story were to gain any traction with the media. I kind of doubt that it will, though. As far as I know, this is the first documented mass homocide where benzos were implicated.

Would this result in a decrease in the future prescribing of benzos? Yes, most likely. A very good thing!

Would doctors begin to pull long term patients/users of benzos off of their meds with the same ol' rapid taper or CT? Possibly..? A very bad thing!

And there was Gavin Long: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/20/health/gavin-long-ptsd-baton-rouge/index.html

Long had filled a prescription for Ativan, an anti-anxiety drug, as recently as June, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity. He also had prescriptions for Valium and the sleep aid Lunesta, the source said. 

And these:

http://khon2.com/2016/04/21/maui-man-appears-in-court-for-allegedly-killing-estranged-wife/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/02/why-did-two-parents-murder-their-adopted-child-asunta-fong-yang?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+AUS+v1+-+AUS+morning+mail+callout&utm_term=154449&subid=11936286&CMP=ema_632

Unfortunately, more can be found if you search through these stories:

https://ssristories.org/category/drug/other-antidepressantanxiety-sleep-medication/

No one can ever know for sure where the motivation for acts like these came from, but I doubt it can ever be solely attributed to medication of any kind.  Terry's linked article explained this aspect quite well... I haven't yet read the last ones posted.

Interesting links, guys. Thanks. I looked a bit more into the Elliot Rodger case, found another article, and about half-way down it listed all of the homicides, suicides, and mass murders (most of these were multiple homicide cases or mass shootings), and the meds theses patients were on. By far the most common were SSRIs, SNRIs, and Ritalin. The only benzo I saw on there was Elliot Rodger. But I have no doubt there where others like you have posted.

Once again, it becomes a chicken vs egg issue. Were there major pysch issues to begin with, or did the meds alter their brain chemistry enough to cause them to commit these horrible and violent acts?

Tbh, I really think you'd have to look at each one on a case by case basis.

I should have added this: "Based on interviews with Rodger’s parents, Peter and Li Chen (his father is famed Hollywood director Peter Rodger), the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Department is being told that he was likely addicted to Xanax…Peter and Li have been doing basic research on addiction to Xanax, and based on what they have read, they believe the tranquilizer made him more withdrawn, lonely, isolated, and anxious,” a source told Radar after the shootings.

For what it's worth, anyway.

When considering all of these shootings on a "case by case" basis, I see that they are all white men which is more a common denominator than benzodiazepines.  WBB

[2e...]

When considering all of these shootings on a "case by case" basis, I see that they are all white men which is more a common denominator than benzodiazepines.  WBB

I'm working on tapering off being a white man … :)

:laugh:

[2e...]

The cuts are rather painful though …

[86...]

The cuts are rather painful though …

Thanks a bunch, snorted coffee out my nose. :laugh:

Glad you said it before me. ;)

Uhmmm, excuse me, but what are you trying to say?? Careful ....as not to discriminate or stereotype....

Honestly, it's not ok....

I fail to see the humor in ANY of this....people are DEAD....have some respect!!

Shameful!!

[86...]

Uhmmm, excuse me, but what are you trying to say?? Careful ....as not to discriminate or stereotype....

Honestly, it's not ok....

I fail to see the humor in ANY of this....people are DEAD....have some respect!!

Shameful!!

It is commonly known, reported, understood and documented that middle aged white males are overwhelmingly the primary demographic of mass shooters, which has been brought up all over these Las Vegas massacre threads to rebut the argument that shootings like this are caused by drugs.

No one here is laughing about these shootings, or about the guy with the massive number of assault weapons who carried out this attack. Rather, it struck me that CP was deflecting the ‘facts’ here with a bit of self-deprecating humor. A little relief is helpful to some in defusing an excruciating topic. The entire discussion is triggering many others, and there is no relief to be found at all.

The difference in how individuals manage emotions in the benzo WD community is why volatile threads on BB often end up having to be closed.

My two cents.

White males do commit most of these mass murders but if you are going to use that as a way to rebut the psych drug argument you are going to have to factor in how many white men vs men of other races are on psych drugs. I am on vacation so I can't really look up the stats at the moment but I would bet that white males take more psych drugs than males of other races.

The "male" part of this is even easier to explain. Men are simply more prone to violence due to their body chemistry.