Wash.Post,Apr/17: Soft, smooth and steady: How Xanax turned American music...

[La...]

That was interesting.  Thank you Lapis!

This was good:

"The whole of 21st-century pill-pop has a sound, too. It’s a smoothness, a softness, a steadiness. An aversion to unanticipated left turns. It isn’t new, but it’s increasingly everywhere. You can hear it in the Weeknd’s demulcent falsetto, in Rihanna’s unruffled cool, in Drake’s creamier verses, even in Justin Bieber’s buffed edges. Out on the dance floor, it’s most evident in the cushiony pulse of tropical house, a softer style that Kygo and other big-time producers have used to mitigate the intensity at various EDM festivals in recent years."

It seems to me that music has been associated with drugs for many, many years. There are songs about drugs, and, of course, people take drugs while listening to music. CBC Radio's summer series called "On Drugs" did a whole episode on this topic. Really interesting!

Thanks for both of those resources Lapis.

I read about Xanax too.  There's a reference to it in Louise Erdrich's latest book, "The only psychologist lived on wine and Xanax"... I'll listen to the CBC podcast of "On Drugs".  Love that CBC>

Hi SS!

Enjoy! I listened to many of the episodes of that CBC series, and I posted a few of them. Very good! I'm obviously a big CBC fan too.  ;)