And now... MUSICALS !

[re...]

I notice there are buddies who'd like to post some numbers from musical theater, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling here.

Any thread dedicated to musicals will have to start with the team that perfected that art form, namely: Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II.

Rodgers and Hammerstein were active as a team during the 1940s and 1950s, though each of them began their careers in musical theater long before that, with other partners: Rodgers with Lorenz Hart, and Hammerstein with several others, especially Jerome Kern, with whom he wrote Showboat in 1927.

An interesting thing about Hammerstein. He had this habit of writing love songs that were hypothetical. That is, the characters were not actually in love, yet. Or, they actually were in love, but they denied it. Or they imagined it. Or some such thing. Hammerstein wrote the songs that way, rather than as straight-forward love songs, because he wanted to get the love-match started very early in the show, much too early for full-blown love to be credible. So instead, the audience would listen to the characters sing about eventually being in love, possibly being in love, or for sure never, ever being in love - and the audience instantly understood that these characters were destined to be in love. The audience was made to feel that they knew something the characters did not know, which, of course, was very gratifying for the audience, which was one reason for the tremendous popularity of such maybe-love songs.

I'll post three such songs here, all with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II. The first is from Showboat, with music by Jerome Kern, as noted earlier. The second is from Oklahoma, with music by Richard Rodgers. The third is from my all-time favorite, Carousel, again with music by Richard Rodgers.

These performances all feature Julian Ovenden and Sierra Boggess, who delight both the ear and the eye.

I'll leave it to you to read all about them on the internet.

(Hint: Use the Google, Luke.)

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCPYBEIoBSFryq4

Only Make Believe
from Showboat

If I Loved You
from Carousel

Thank you Redvan - and Leslie is right -- a very nice and interesting intro. 

I have always loved 1776 and listened to the broadway soundtrack 100 times  -- memorized all of it.  Not at the top of most folks list but I loved it and am waiting for another revival I can see on stage. 

From the movie which has some of the original stage cast.

Thanks redevan!  :)

Music of the Night from Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera.

Best to listen without looking at the distracting slideshow.

I love  :smitten: :smitten: Musicals!  was brought up on Broadway Musicals!

Don't know how to post links  :idiot:  but almost anything from a Chorus Line works for me just saw a local production of that one:

"I hope I get it"

Dance Ten Looks Three :D No offence there, it's a great number!

Singing in the rain today, SS.

OK, if you want to learn how to post clickable pics linking to YouTube vids, start here:

How to Create a Clickable Picture - Version 2.0

:laugh: You are just too fast for me. :P

Well this a challenge I think I'll try tomorrow!

Thanks you two!

(Defying Gravity from Wicked......) We're all trying to do that I figure around here...

I'll figure it out! I'll figure it out!

:smitten:

SS

Thanks you two!

(Defying Gravity from Wicked......) We're all trying to do that I figure around here...

SS

I know you well enough to know you will get it. :thumbsup:

Liza Minnelli

Maybe This Time

Cabaret was a 1972 movie based on a 1966 musical of the same name, which was based on a 1951 play called I Am A Camera, which was based on a 1939 novel by Christopher Isherwood called Goodbye to Berlin, which was set in 1931 Germany as the Nazis were gaining strength and rising to power. And yet, somehow, it manages to be very entertaining. Go figure.
On the left, we have a scene from the film, with Liza as Sally Bowles. On the right is Liza performing the same song in 1967 - five years before the movie. Very different performances. You decide which you prefer. Liza recorded and released this song twice before the film, in 1964 on her debut studio album Liza! Liza!, and in 1970 on the album New Feelin'. The song was written by Kander and Ebb, who also wrote the music for Cabaret, but it was not written for the play. It was included in the movie only. Since then, it has been included in most revivals of the play.

Liza Minnelli

Maybe This Time

Thanks you two!

SS

I know you well enough to know you will get it. :thumbsup:

Hope so! thanks for the faith in me.... ;)  computers not a strong suit.. :crazy:

Liza Minnelli

Maybe This Time

Cabaret was a 1972 movie based on a 1966 musical of the same name, which was based on a 1951 play called I Am A Camera, which was based on a 1939 novel by Christopher Isherwood called Goodbye to Berlin, which was set in 1931 Germany as the Nazis are gaining strength and rising to power.
And yet, somehow, it manages to be very entertaining. Go figure.
On the left, we have a scene from the 1972 film, with Liza as Sally Bowles. On the right is Liza performing the same song in 1967 - five years before the movie. I guess she saw the play, foresaw the film, set her hat for that part, and campaigned for it till she won it. And then - she owned it. Very different performances. You decide which you prefer.

Liza Minnelli

Maybe This Time

I like the one on the right the best.

Well, I edited the post a bit, because I did a little more research and found out some more about the song's history.

It was not in the play. It was written by Kander and Ebb, who wrote the music for the play, but it was not written for the play. Liza recorded it in 1964, before the play was even written. Then in 1972, it was included in the movie - probably because Liza was in the movie.

Which all goes to show: the best way to learn is to try to teach.

Well, I edited the post a bit, because I did a little more research and found out some more about the song's history.

It was not in the play. It was written by Kander and Ebb, who wrote the music for the play, but it was not written for the play. Liza recorded it in 1964, before the play was even written. Then in 1972, it was included in the movie - probably because Liza was in the movie.

Which all goes to show: the best way to learn is to try to teach.

Interesting, thanks for more information.