Lamictal? - I'll be your guinea pig.

[mo...]

I am happy to be your guinea pig, if you'd like to be, as I am just starting the medication. Will it help? I'll keep you updated!

I have looked into the possibility of Lamictal being a medication that may lessen the horrific symptoms I go through everyday, (and does not build up intolerance and inter dose withdrawals). I have done extensive research on many possible medications, and this one seemed to be the most promising.

Here is what I have found about the mechanism of action of Lamictal(on wikipedia):

Lamotrigine is a phenyltriazine, making it chemically distinct from other approved anticonvulsants. It enhances the action of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system (CNS; which consists of the brain and spinal cord).[2] Lamotrigine may also inhibit voltage-gated sodium channels thereby suppressing the release of glutamate and aspartate, two of the dominant excitatory neurotransmitters in the CNS.

My personal theory is that glutamate is the culprit to our suffering. With the fact our gaba receptors are damaged, there is less to break down the free floating glumate. Someone on here refered to us being in a "glutamate firestorm". I like that imagery.

Anyway, I am on my 3rd week of Lamictal. I started at 25mg for two weeks, and am now up to 50mg for two weeks, then will go to 75 ect...

I will tell you, I have noticed increasingly improved health as I am tapering. I still have bad days(really bad days), but I find I am having more good days than I have had in long time. I have been mostly bed bound for the last 18 months(basically ever since my c/t), and deteriorating to a point where life was hopeless and I felt like I had nothing left.

However, here is a list of improvements I have noticed:

1.  Hot spots in my legs have that were from head to my ankles have become just patches, and they are getting smaller.

2. Anxiety is less often(although I still have more often than not)

3. Ability to get out of bed. - That has been a big one for me. My depression just gets worse as I have no desire to get out of bed, making a vicious cycle.

4.  My appetite is improving a little bit. Not too much, but there are times I find myself hungry(which is huge for me!), and can eat normally and not be tortured afterwards with anxiety and burning. A nice relief from constant torture from foods.

5.  My vision is improving, when I feel decent, my eyes are not so sensitive to lights.

Things it does not seem to improve for me(yet):

1.  My sensory issues are still the same. I have difficulty blocking out background noise. If I am talking, or if someone is talking to me, I have to ask my kids to be quiet, because I cannot focus on what others are saying, or I lose my train of thought.

2.  One sided-weakness. My left arm and hand still have most of the time less strength. My left leg gives out on me when I walk.

3.  Music is still difficult for me to listen to(another sensory issue), I miss listening to it. :-[

I have to say, I still have horrific days where I find myself suffering through acute withdrawals all over again. This has not been a miracle drug, I don't think that exists.

But, if this allows me to be more apart of my family's lives, I'm willing to take it. I do not want to miss out on anymore memories.

I still am not at a 'therapeutic level", and so I cautiously optimistic that it will even continue improve.

I am happy to give updates if anyone is interested in hearing how it continues to go as I titrate up. (hoping for no rash!)

• 1 month later...
If it's helping you function and live your life, do what you need to do. I would be interested in knowing how you do as time progresses. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
As I'm sure you're already aware of, beware of the Lamictal rash. I was on Lamictal for about two weeks and developed a huge rash covering one thigh and a good portion of my abdomen. I immediately discontinued the medication, had some withdrawal symptoms and the rash gradually disappeared over the course of several days.

People have had mixed results with lamictal, but some people really do find it a lifesaver for benzo withdrawal, and some people felt it made them worse.  That being said, as another poster mentioned, if you develop a rash, make sure you stop using it immediately!

That being said, I'm glad you found something that works for you!  Good luck!

It's going well still, no rash, no negative side effects. 100mg seems to be my sweet spot, as going any higher caused me nauseousness, ringing in the ears, and headaches.

I am able to get out of bed much more often than before, with the torturous symptoms lessened. I honestly wish I had considered this sooner, as I am almost two years out of a c/t...

Not a miracle cure, but a great help for me.

Do you take split doses or once at night? I already have all your symptoms of higher dosing but would love to be able to be out of bed more with family.

Thanks for the update Mommyo4. This is one of the meds/supplements that I have on my list (although a little further down) to consider trying if I am unable to manage otherwise. I too, believe that excess glutamate/nmda upregulation is the primary culprate for many of our symptoms. I might end up talking to my p-doc about this at the next appt. Please continue to keep us posted.. :)

I do split doses, as it keeps a more steady state, so there is less of spikes and dips.

I hope that my experience may be able to help others out. I will continue to answer any questions I can, and will keep you posted on any updates on long term effects, positive or negative.

• 1 month later...

Following this

ANy updates Mommy04? I have Lamictal on my list of "holy shit, i can't do this anymore" - luckily I am not there yet........but I have PTSD from a rapid taper and reinstatement 3 months out - micro tapering now and its going great but still so damn scared I'm constantly reading what helps others........

hope its all well still!

Quit while you can. It sucks to get off of.

:thumbsup:

That taper caused me such severe depression I felt I could no longer go on. Thankfully it went away.

Quit while you can. It sucks to get off of.

That taper caused me such severe depression I felt I could no longer go on. Thankfully it went away.

I'm about half done. So far the only problem I get is the OCD gets worse if I go to fast. I'm doing 6 mg every 3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I started Lamictal almost 4 years ago (up to 100mg), even before I started benzos. I have to say I thought it was the only psych drug I ever took that didn't seem to have any effect at all (neither good nor bad). I actually didn't understand why I even took it.

After I quit the benzo and went down to 75mg of Lamictal that changed. I feel HORRIBLE. I am almost 39 months post Ativan and still these mental symptoms are worse than in acute (OCD, intrusive thoughts, Paranoia, anxiety, and the worst by far is the rage, aggression and homicidal ideations that make me isolate from my family).

I am terrified this might be the Lamictal since now I think it works activating on me but I seem to be unable to taper. Even 0.5 mg are very hard to cut. I am close to going to the hospital to let them ct me of that drug cause I am so terrified.

My advice to whoever thinks about adding Lamictal or ANY other psych med to the mix in the hope of helping wd...DO NOT DO IT!!!! I can only talk for myself but I think that once in wd, non of these pills work how they are supposed to work and can make a storm a hurrican. I pray to God every day that I will make it out of this alive and without doing anything bad to another person.

Good luck to all of you.

IMO the best thing we all can do for ourselves is to NOT ad any more meds to the mix. The brain is trying so desperately to heal and balance out. This will never happen if we keep adding more psych meds to the mix. The brain knows how to heal. It just takes time. Some cases lots of time. Hope you all have a speedy recovery.

I started Lamictal almost 4 years ago (up to 100mg), even before I started benzos. I have to say I thought it was the only psych drug I ever took that didn't seem to have any effect at all (neither good nor bad). I actually didn't understand why I even took it.

After I quit the benzo and went down to 75mg of Lamictal that changed. I feel HORRIBLE. I am almost 39 months post Ativan and still these mental symptoms are worse than in acute (OCD, intrusive thoughts, Paranoia, anxiety, and the worst by far is the rage, aggression and homicidal ideations that make me isolate from my family).

I am terrified this might be the Lamictal since now I think it works activating on me but I seem to be unable to taper. Even 0.5 mg are very hard to cut. I am close to going to the hospital to let them ct me of that drug cause I am so terrified.

My advice to whoever thinks about adding Lamictal or ANY other psych med to the mix in the hope of helping wd...DO NOT DO IT!!!! I can only talk for myself but I think that once in wd, non of these pills work how they are supposed to work and can make a storm a hurrican. I pray to God every day that I will make it out of this alive and without doing anything bad to another person.

Good luck to all of you.

• 2 months later...
[c6...]

I do split doses, as it keeps a more steady state, so there is less of spikes and dips.

I hope that my experience may be able to help others out. I will continue to answer any questions I can, and will keep you posted on any updates on long term effects, positive or negative.

How are you getting on now MOMO4?

Has Lamictal helped you?