Name a Movie You Like & Why

[Rx...]

Name a movie you like and why (without giving the story away).

I'll start.  "Loving".  I like history and true stories.  I like seeing injustice exposed.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [Rx...]

• [az...]

• [Je...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Silence. The last MS film that took 25 years in the making. It really tests your faith. A truly amazing flick and I've seen most of them in my life as I used to get DVDs from every move ever released.

Hacksaw Ridge - Just plain good production.

Yes I am not into war films but this was a true story so I found it to be a great movie. I saw it with a Vet.

Hacksaw Ridge - Just plain good production.

Yes I am not into war films but this was a true story so I found it to be a great movie. I saw it with a Vet.

I saw it too.  Great movie.

Planet of the Apes, cause like wow,  the apes.  I am watching ALL of the planet of the apes movies this month, both the old and the new.  It's really interesting how it was meant to be a satire about how the people in power treat "the others".  The old movies get pretty ridiculous but it's kind of amazing what they did before computers and cgi. 

Planet of the Apes, cause like wow,  the apes.  I am watching ALL of the planet of the apes movies this month, both the old and the new.  It's really interesting how it was meant to be a satire about how the people in power treat "the others".  The old movies get pretty ridiculous but it's kind of amazing what they did before computers and cgi.

I've only seen one of the new ones.  Was very good and love the old ones too.

The Lady in the Van.

If you like Maggie Smith, this is a must see on your to do list. She is very funny in a curmudgeon way, but it also is sad because of normally gifted people who became homeless because they were wrecked by the system/others. It was also interesting because it is a true story and the actual person she interacted with wrote the book and is in the movie himself. She also starred in an English stage performance by the same name.

The original, with Charlton Heston, is one of my favorites.  I can watch it over and over, and its eeriness in the beginning gets to me every time.  The second one was bizarre, but still great.  The new ones are extremely well-done.  The "middle" one, with Mark Wahlberg, was widely ridiculed.  The Charlton Heston orangutan cameo was the best part.  There is also a good fleeting scene on a TV monitor from the original movie in one of the latest films.

I was obsessed with NBK when it came out. The violence doesn't sit so well with me these days (yes, getting old and dull), but it's a lurid, visceral, gonzo masterpiece.

Sorry about the "past dates" reminder.

"3:10 to Yuma" was pretty great.  I love Westerns, if they're well done, and they don't try to turn them into weird sci-fi fusion.

What movie has stuck with me for many years, is that good old True Grit. I love when John Wayne falls off his horse because he is so drunk and then blames it on his horse. "What will it be Ned? I'll shoot you right here and now, or you can hang at Judge Parker's convenience."  "That's bold talk for a one eyed fat man." lol My brother and me exchange quotes via texts. I love that movie!! RIP GC.........

I love the new True Grit, and everything Coen. I remember watching O Brother Where Art Thou in a Depression-era theater in San Diego, and feeling totally lifted and giddy...

width=240 height=320http://s1268.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?

file=%2Falbums%2Fjj561%2FTooManyWastedDays%2FIMG_0944_zpsvclk2muf.jpg[/img]

"Burn After Reading" by the Coen Brothers

Absolutely loved it. Was so funny. All their stuff is great.

file=%2Falbums%2Fjj561%2FTooManyWastedDays%2FIMG_0945_zpsqwuzst4d.jpg[/img]

"Hollywood Ending" by Woody Allen

file=%2Falbums%2Fjj561%2FTooManyWastedDays%2FIMG_0949_zpssufphwar.jpg[/img]

"Deconstructing Harry" by Woody Allen

Love this little guy and all his movies. I've seen "Hollywood Ending" like three times and each time it made me laugh to tears.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." [soren Kierkegaard]

"Do not dwell on the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." [buddha]

width=420 height=89https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;93/st/20160228/e/last+Ambien+pill/dt/7/k/4054/event.png[/img]

I love the new True Grit, and everything Coen. I remember watching O Brother Where Art Thou in a Depression-era theater in San Diego, and feeling totally lifted and giddy...

I hated the new TG. Why mess with such a classic? I also didn't like O Brother as it was stupid nonsense. We have to agree to disagree with this. Most Coen Brothers movies are great. I love them and used to work in the entertainment industry so I was able to meet them. My favorite of theirs is the classics Raising Arizona, Fargo, The Big Lewboski, True Grit, and Burn After Reading. I also like the Weistein Brothers a lot. I think I have watched True Grit so many time that I know all of the scenes in it. Like Matti Ross and the horse dealer who hates her. "I heard a young woman fell off a cliff. I was hoping it was you." lmao. Maybe that old theater was a better venue.

First saw Hitchcock's Vertigo in '96 when it was restored and received a limited theatrical release. Instantly mesmerized and became obsessed with it. The murder plot is a little preposterous, but I get too absorbed in it to care. It's meticulously crafted as you would expect from a Hitchcock film, and the score by Bernard Herrmann is one of his most memorable.

First saw Hitchcock's Vertigo in '96 when it was restored and received a limited theatrical release. Instantly mesmerized and became obsessed with it. The murder plot is a little preposterous, but I get too absorbed in it to care. It's meticulously crafted as you would expect from a Hitchcock film, and the score by Bernard Herrmann is one of his most memorable.

I saw that, Shook.  Real good one!