is this anxiety or GERD?

In the past when I have had GERD symptoms I experienced the burning in my chest. Interesting enough the sensation went away after I took a valium! Now that I am benzo free I am still experiencing the burning in my chest, and when I take a buspar it goes away! Is it anxiety or GERD?  I usually have some tenderness but other than that the burningceases. Just wonder what your insight is on this?

Yoda,

I am sorry to say I don't have the answer....but....no matter which it is...it definitely could fall under benzo withdrawal symptoms...hang in there..hope you feel better soon...

TC

I have to wonder if it is really GERD! It probably is both to a degree. The fact that it goes away when I take a buspar,(by the way buspar really helps) tells me it is probably anxiety! WHo knows! I took like 20 gavescon tablets, and some carafate, PPIs, and a couple pepcid!  :tickedoff: I would think if it was acid I would have felt a little better! ;)

I had lots of heartburn and gastritis when I was tapering. I think a lot of people have gastrointestinal symptoms during wd. There are many GABA receptors in the gut which can cause all sorts of digestive problems when withdrawing.   

How long have you been on buspar? 

like all minor tranquilizers, BUSPAR is habit forming, addictive and can cause life-threatening neurological reactions. The side effects are similar to benzodiazepines and abrupt withdrawal can cause the same rebound insomnia, depression, anxiety, headaches and nausea.

symptoms MAY include but not limited to:

BUSPAR Side Effects May Include:

dizziness, dry mouth, fatigue, headache, light-headedness, nausea, nervousness, unusual excitement, a anger/hostility, blurred vision, bone aches/pain, confusion, constipation, decreased concentration, depression, diarrhea, fast, fluttery heartbeat, incoordination, muscle pain/aches, numbness, pain or weakness in hands or feet, rapid heartbeat, rash, restlessness, stomach and abdominal upset, sweating/clamminess, tingling or pins and needles, tremor, urinary incontinence, vomiting, and weakness

BUSPAR Withdrawal Symptoms May Include:

abdominal pains, aching, agoraphobia, anxiety, blurred vision, body vibrations, changes in perception, diarrhea, distended abdomen, feeling of unreality, flu-like symptoms, flatulence, food cravings, hair loss, heart palpitations, heavy limbs, increased allergies, increased sense of smell, insomnia, lethargy, loss of balance, metallic taste, muscle spasms, nightmares, panic attacks, paranoia, persistent & unpleasant memories, severe headaches, shaking, short term memory loss, sore mouth and tongue, sound & light sensitivity, speech difficulties, sweating, suicidal thoughts, tinnitus, unusually sensitive, fear

All tranquilizers alter the sleep architecture in the same way that benzodiazepines do -  by reducing the amounts of restorative Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep and increasing the non-restorative sleep patterns. This can result in daytime drowsiness and poor cognitive function. Therefore only short-term use of BUSPAR is recommended and discontinuation should be with a gradual dose reduction.

Just trying to look out for you..its serious business.. they shouldn't even make that drug anymore. I am willing to bet the benzo's caused your heartburn especially if you took a valium before and it went away. funny how the drug that gave you the problem also takes it away. if you can find a way to stick it out until it goes away or find something natural to help it. I wouldn't take anymore drugs. some tums or rolaids at the most. I know it sucks when your suffering. but if you don't give yourself time or a chance to heal you will never know. 

Richie.