Changes to the 'Protracted Withdrawal Support' board.

[Co...]

Hi all,

pianogirl recently appraised those posting the 'Protracted' board that we would be making changes in how the area is accessed. Protracted Withdrawal Support is now a subscription-only board. This means that to gain access you must 'subscribe' through your profile. You can join or leave the group as you please.

I've manually added 41 recent posters to the Protracted board group allowing access. Sorry - I'm sure there are many I've missed. For the rest of you, please follow the instructions posted by PG (copied below). If you experience a problem, just reply here (or use the Contact the Team area) and one of the team will add you to the group.

Thank you.

Hello,

We are always striving to improve the forum so that members find themselves in a place to receive support, comfort and information while going through a difficult withdrawal. Changes are inevitable in these efforts. 

We have decided to make the Protracted Board a private, by subscription board.  It is similar in nature to the Faith Board, however to join the Faith board you must be approved by a Moderator.  For the Protracted Board, members may join and leave the group as they wish.

This is just a pre-notice. We'll let you know when the change is set to occur and give instructions to access the board. It will most likely be in a couple of days.

We understand that the Protracted Board is very important to our members who are continuing to recover after a lengthy time off benzos.  It is also true that some of our members, particularly new members, are sometimes frightened and worried about becoming protracted even when they are still in the tapering process. 

Our efforts to provide good service for all has led us to the decision to make the Protracted Withdrawal board private.

Thanks for understanding and please contact the team at the Help Desk if you have any questions.

pianogirl

Hello members,

We will be making the changes I described in the previous post sometime today. 

I want to give you the instructions for accessing the Protracted Board so you'll have them once the change is made.  The process is quite easy but be sure to contact the Help Desk if you need assistance from the team.

Go to your Profile

Choose Modify Profile >> Group Membership

[Access] Protracted benzodiazeoine Withdrawal Symptoms >> Join Group

pianogirl

When I subscribed, I found the board on the main homepage.  It was invisible to me until I subscribed properly.  If you can't see the board on the homepage, then recheck that you really are subscribed. 

This is a good decision. I know I've posted there without realizing it was a board that I really had no business being in.

I agree, Travis - I did that more times than I can count.

I don't see the point of this decision, if people are bothered by "negativity" then they shoudn't be on a support forum, where people whine and vent. :)

I've never been bothered by what's going on here(or anywhere), and i'm always more than comfortable to help people in need.

This only serves to stigmatize the whole ordeal as something "abnormal" from the normal people, despite the fact that Colin himself felt flareups from drinking alcohol after 20 years off benzos,

Some people probably never truly recover 100% from this, i don't think it's a fact that should be hidden.

• 2 weeks later...

It caters to a small, probably vocal minority, in my opinion. It protects them from themselves.

I agree with them being a 'vocal minority' (which is understandable), but I think the 'protects them from themselves' comment somewhat uncharitable. Perhaps we are speaking at cross-purposes.

Hi all,

pianogirl recently appraised those posting the 'Protracted' board that we would be making changes in how the area is accessed. Protracted Withdrawal Support is now a subscription-only board. This means that to gain access you must 'subscribe' through your profile. You can join or leave the group as you please.

I've manually added 41 recent posters to the Protracted board group allowing access. Sorry - I'm sure there are many I've missed. For the rest of you, please follow the instructions posted by PG (copied below). If you experience a problem, just reply here (or use the Contact the Team area) and one of the team will add you to the group.

Thank you.

Hello,

We are always striving to improve the forum so that members find themselves in a place to receive support, comfort and information while going through a difficult withdrawal. Changes are inevitable in these efforts. 

We have decided to make the Protracted Board a private, by subscription board.  It is similar in nature to the Faith Board, however to join the Faith board you must be approved by a Moderator.  For the Protracted Board, members may join and leave the group as they wish.

This is just a pre-notice. We'll let you know when the change is set to occur and give instructions to access the board. It will most likely be in a couple of days.

We understand that the Protracted Board is very important to our members who are continuing to recover after a lengthy time off benzos.  It is also true that some of our members, particularly new members, are sometimes frightened and worried about becoming protracted even when they are still in the tapering process. 

Our efforts to provide good service for all has led us to the decision to make the Protracted Withdrawal board private.

Thanks for understanding and please contact the team at the Help Desk if you have any questions.

pianogirl

Hello members,

We will be making the changes I described in the previous post sometime today. 

I want to give you the instructions for accessing the Protracted Board so you'll have them once the change is made.  The process is quite easy but be sure to contact the Help Desk if you need assistance from the team.

Go to your Profile

[Access] Protracted benzodiazeoine Withdrawal Symptoms >> Join Group

pianogirl

Oh thank you for doing this, I am new to w/d and BB and I have read some real horror stories that scared me away from BB when I first joined. In desperation during severe sxs I came back and try to focus on positive posts and helping others.  Even my pdoc told me that at my age (68) some symptoms would never go away. Last thing I needed to hear last week as I struggle  . . .

anyway, I think you are doing us newbies a favor: thank you, Pooh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So glad to read in your post that you're 68!  I'm 63.  I really try not to listen to doctors or other who tell me that I'll never really have a complete withdrawal, that I've been on Benzos too long.

I have to have a positive outlook, so I will hope for the best and not allow negative opinions/comments to affect me.

Nice to meet you!

• 4 weeks later...
[6b...]

I don’t know how to subscribe to the protracted group . Pls advice

Hello, Barbville - here's how to join the Protracted Board, which can now be accessed only by subscription:

Go to your Profile

[Access] Protracted Withdrawal Support Area >> Join Group

• 2 weeks later...
[6b...]

Can I join this forum please?  Many issues, many, many.

Of course!

Go to your Profile

[Access] Protracted Withdrawal Support Area >> Join Group

• 2 months later...

It caters to a small, probably vocal minority, in my opinion. It protects them from themselves.

I agree with them being a 'vocal minority' (which is understandable), but I think the 'protects them from themselves' comment somewhat uncharitable. Perhaps we are speaking at cross-purposes.

Thank you for that. I was just to get really pissy.